3rd Gen AMD EPYC processors with AMD 3D V-Cache technology Expand High-Performance CPU Portfolio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    AMD STock - BUY BUY BUY!

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP

Pictus, tunejunky and waltc3 like this.
  4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Pictus, Valken, Agonist and 2 others like this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Weird how the 16 core isn't the cheapest.

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This strategy of adding huge amounts of cache to everything, is paying off quite nicely for AMD.
    No wonder Nvidia and Intel are copying the strategy.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    well this pricing makes one thing clear - they're counting on volume to make up for the lower margin (higher cost of production)
    and they're counting on the 5800X3D to deliver that margin back, at least some of it.

the price of the 5800X3D is exactly what i expected, given the production costs (brand new TSMC factory running ONLY AMD for the rest of this year), but Milan-X blows my mind by coming in 10 - 15% lower than my (and many others) expectations.

go ahead print that money AMD & TSMC

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i have a very sneaky suspicion that Ryzen 4 will have at least three SKUs with 3D cache
    it will slay and they will also rule HEDT (even more) with TR with the 3D cache.

9. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    How long did we wait for this? I know I have waited a long time to see AMD bring the heat!!!!
    Wish I could afford the threadripper version of these. Cause my 1920x is way slower then my 5600x in gaming. And Id loved to have a 3rd gen IPC Threadripper as a server, and game rig because I miss having HDET for my gaming rig. Last one I had was my X79 3930k setup. As I switched to 1500x/x370 in 2017. Been Ryzen since. My TR was never my main rig,

tunejunky likes this.
  10. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This is terrific news to read. My project is ramping up production and we are using a box with two 16-core 7373s that just rocks! We have a couple of machines with 32-core Threadrippers and the EPYCs are considerably faster on my application. Their improved memory system and tons of cache really help. These machines with even more cache will really speed it up. I can't wait to try one of these.

Unfortunately, lead times for EPYC machines are obnoxious right now so there's no telling when we might see one. I would be surprised if we could get one this year. It's great that AMD can sell practically everything they make but it's not so good when you are waiting.

Venix, Embra, tunejunky and 2 others like this.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Gomez Addams mind if I ask what workload you do ? Fluid dynamics ? Weather patterns including atmosphere composition etc etc ? I know such workloads will benefit from as much cache and ram you can feed em! That said I do not believe you owe me an answer I am just curious!

tunejunky likes this.
  12. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    It's actually a brute-force production optimization application that figures out the best way to process a product. The algorithms involve tons and tons of math on a fairly large amount of data but it's not too extreme. There are literally thousands of possibilities (sometimes in the hundreds of thousands) and it tries them all and then selects the one the provides the most value. The program scales to as many processor cores are as available. It works on the GPU too and runs pretty well on a 3090 with 10K cores. However, the memory use is too disparate for it to really shine on the GPU so it's actually faster on 64 EPYC cores than on 10K CUDA cores.

Venix, Embra and tunejunky like this.
  13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I see so the more processing power and memory you can cram the more instances it can run each time ! Interesting and thanks for the answer !

tunejunky likes this.