AMD Chipset Drivers [Main Thread]

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by WhiteLightning, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Whackbag

Whackbag Member

GPU:
    RTX2080 TURBO OC/8G
    Was it looking in a Binaries folder that doesn't exist?... I had the same issue (english) i just made the Binaries folder it wanted inside AMD & then copied each driver folder it was looking for from the package folder it made...i think i had to rename the promontory folder also.

Once i got all that sorted i ran the installer again without issue.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Keitosha, WhiteLightning and Undying like this.
  3. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    If you go into the folder while it's installing, it goes by the subfolders deleting them one by one, and after it deletes each, the installer throws an error complaining that the folder is missing.
    Go figure.

Keitosha likes this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is it a folder ownership problem? like... if you take ownership of the folder it is trying to extract to does it work?

*edit*

Went to uninstall current set to install the new ones and got stuck here.... GG AMD.

Re-installed the old set over itself, then restarted, then went to try uninstalling again... and still stuck.... double GG AMD..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022

5. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    No, as I just said, the installer is deleting the folders one by one, and trying to access them after they're no longer there.

And yeah, that same error message is the one I get when trying to uninstall the old driver.

6. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I might just hang off I think

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah , I get the error too.

what the hell AMD ?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Sometimes the folders differ and the components have to be uninstalled and installed manually, only problem I had with that though was the PCI-E driver.

From the replies above this time it sounds like a more severe issue and something different, uninstalling would otherwise have worked since the files to be updated or removed are no longer pointing to a path that doesn't exist.

EDIT: Good component updates too not just the power plan from the leaked variants earlier but some other bits, possibly also landing support for the new Zen3 CPU variants so this could be quite a important package although AMD may have to re-release it after fixing this.

A log file used to be created too maybe that has more info on what went wrong?

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Yeah, How do we fix this ?

I am not able to reinstall the previous drivers, it gives the same errors. i tried deleting windows/temp apps/local temp , ccleaner , driverstore explorer. nothing works.

MSI (s) (DC:D4) [08:07:35:873]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=Install_Driver_W11x64,ActionType=3138,Source=BinaryData,Target=/path "C:\AMD\Chipset_Software\Binaries\Promontory GPIO Driver\W11x64" /F /LM /SA /SW,)

That is one of the errors. It shows a path to binaries , but when i check the subdir in binaries is missing. So with each folder in binaries missing i get this error.

I am trying the microsoft troubleshooter app now! https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

I was able to uninstall the chipset drivers.

After a reboot, i tried installing the drivers again, but it gave me a error package could not be opened.

Then i restarted windows installer service through services.msc, and i was able to install the new chipset drivers.

weird stuff, but glad i finally got it sorted.

10. Whackbag

Whackbag Member

GPU:
    RTX2080 TURBO OC/8G
    1: Run the installer, let it extract, then cancel & quit.
    2: Goto C:\AMD\Chipset_Software & create a new folder called Binaries.
    3: Now goto C:\AMD\Chipset_Software\Packages\IODriver & copy any driver folders you got errors for to the Binaries folder.
    3a: The folder for "GPIO Promontory Driver" may need to be renamed to "Promontory GPIO Driver"
    4: Run the installer again.

Example: the Promontory folder is located in C:\AMD\Chipset_Software\Packages\IODriver\GPIO_PT ...so copy "GPIO Promontory Driver" folder to the Binaries folder then rename it "Promontory GPIO Driver" & that will take care of that error. Rinse & repeat for any others, that was the only thing i found that needed renaming.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I ended up doing a fresh installation of Windows and then the installer worked.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Talking about radical decision lol

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Windows 11 installation went without issues

[​IMG]

14. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    [​IMG]

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    New driver installed just fine on 2 machines (X370 Windows 10 Spanish and B550 Windows 10 English)

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Amd Chipsets Ryzen (3XX/4XX/5XX/TRX40) drivers Version 4.03.03.624 WHQL (station-drivers.com)

AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Driver: 1.0.0.3

That seems new, so this VCache thing also has a software performance optimizing component or driver does it. Interesting.
    Now where is this actually from, which motherboard vendor leaked a newer variant this time. :D

EDIT: Some reading later.

AMD PMF Driver: 21.0.1.6 AMD
    PPM Provisioning File Driver: 1.0.0.8

AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Driver: 1.0.0.3

So these are three "New" listed ones.
    PMF appears to be 6000-series so the two other components seem to be AMD Laptop or OEM specifics.

And some of the motherboard vendors like Gigabyte it seems have put up the .624 set of the AMD chipset driver on their website instead of .431

Same AMD digital signature and the same March 3rd file date.
    These just come with these two (Seemingly laptop chipset or CPU related.) components and this which I found more interesting that the VCache has a software part.

It's seemingly more than just additional L3 cache memory for whatever function this serves as or what this actually does. I don't know, found it interesting but I am not sure how it would work.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    akbaar and Undying like this.
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It could be if I am misreading this.
    My assumption was on the upcoming 5800X3D but yeah it might be.

Hmmm or perhaps not thinking about it a bit.
    These support AMD AM and the TR platforms for Threadrippers.
    Server components like Epyc are outside of these no?

EDIT: Also updated the previous post a bit. File can also be found on the Gigabyte support site for some of their AMD motherboards.

Curious if some of the parts are laptop and OEM stuff though, usually the desktop drivers are separated from these drivers and have their own distribution or components.

As to functionality for these, while they are a newer build I am expecting these to be just like .431 and perhaps on the 5800X3D once it is available or for laptops with the new 6000 series CPU's the added components compatible with these will appear during the install process as available for installation or if already installed then re-installed or updated, usual routine really. :D

19. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    just pulled the trigger on a 5700X. Since it's a 65W part like my 3700X I'm willing to be lazy in using my Wraith Prism with it. I'll do a performance comparison on the before and after with my 3700X and 3090 VS the 5700X.

haha oops I meant to post this in the actual CPU thread

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Passus likes this.
  20. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Im gonna hold onto my 3700X until I really have to upgrade

Guess its lucky I still have a small upgrade path for my current setup, will likely get 5800X3D and more ram in a few years

KissSh0t and Kool64 like this.