What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Serotonin, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Legendary movie

Coolerking, Keitosha and rflair like this.
  2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Maybe for training to throw packages to the front doors while driving?
    At least that's how it goes here in the NL since a few months (even packages through the front window further in the street). The hardly get out of their van anymore to deliver something. :D

Package throwing training!

3. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    a lot of times Amazon will leave a package then take a picture of the package on your porch as proof that it's delivered.

4. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    Grace Kelly.....at the time that film was made, she may have been the most beautiful woman in the world.

Airbud likes this.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I mean couldn't you just nicely ask the guy? If he responds weirdly or hostile then you know his intentions, instead you're worrying now when he just might be a harmless eccentric.

6. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    SerotoNiN, can you clarify the following?

All the sightings of this individual have been between 0345 - 0600?
    You mention "Every morning." So, Saturday and Sunday, too?
    His arrival is always as the passenger of a car?
    The car always waits for his return, and the "walker" and driver leave together?
    Always the same car?

"He carries nothing" but then you mention that he is "carrying weird boxes" as well. So, he carries nothing inbound, but sometimes carries boxes outbound?

Regarding the unfamiliar, "strange" cars; there are multiple strange cars on a single day, or just one, different one, each day?
    No interaction between recent strange cars, and walker observed?

My thoughts are as follows...

I can't think of any legitimate delivery being made every day, between 0345 and 0600.
    If it is a delivery, even something required every day such as medication or a prescription, why not several days worth, once or twice a week?
    And, why isn't what is being delivered not plainly obvious? (Again, "He carries nothing.")
    If, as one possible explanation, the walker is caring for a family member, friend or someone's pet(s), why is the walker being discharged from the vehicle some distance away from his destination, and not driven right up to it?
    Why photograph the neighborhood, or try and see if any cars are unlocked?

Assuming the walker is going in with nothing, and sometimes leaving with "weird boxes" it would seem one of your neighbors in the vicinity of the walker's general destination is involved in some way. Or, their property is being used as a rendezvous point. The fact that the walker is sometimes carrying boxes would be another reason his companion driving the car would, under normal circumstances, drive right up to wherever the walker's destination is. By the way, have you seen these "weird boxes" being placed in the trunk of this vehicle by any chance?

The two month gap in activity between late November and late January is probably significant. Know anyone in the area that was on vacation during that period? Or, know anyone who, in turn, might know of anyone?

The recent strange cars you've observed might well be police, especially if they are not interacting with the walker and the cars vary from time to time. (But I wouldn't approach them assuming that was the case. If the walker works for someone, and, given the description of this routine makes that seem likely, that "employer" might be keeping an eye on business, and may not be eager to make your acquaintance.)

I assume that the police weren't forthcoming with any details for you after they interviewed the walker. I also assume this video you have is a fixed camera located at your home. The only short-term advice I would offer is to retain, (back-up), all the day-to-day recordings of this particular time period each day for the foreseeable future. Not a pleasant or convenient task, for certain, but one that might prove worthwhile. (May that time never come.)
    I trust neither you and/or your wife are arising early every day to eyewitness this activity. I certainly hope not.

I can empathize. I had my own slice of drama of this sort about 10 months ago, and it wasn't pleasant.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    Airbud, Serotonin and Loobyluggs like this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Every morning. Weekdays and weekends. Never misses a day. Always between 345-6am. When it's dark.
    He always gets out of a car, driver

Regarding the unfamiliar, "strange" cars; there are multiple strange cars on a single day, or just one, different one, each day?
    No interaction between recent strange cars, and walker observed? [/QUOTE]

Every morning. Weekdays and weekends. Never misses a day. Alway between 345-6am. When it's dark.
    He always gets out of a car, driver sits in car and waits, walker returns, car leaves. Always the same car.
    I guess I mixed that up. Usually he carries nothing. On occasion ...not many, I've seen him with a box. Maybe 3-4 times since Sept.
    Weird car is at a different time, it's one black car but hovers in the same area he walks. That car, driver just sits. Never gets out of car. Sits a while then leaves. Has been doing this for several weeks now.

The gap, I think because of Christmas, and decorations on lawns, it made the area much brighter than usual and he avoided that. The cold doesn't seem to be an issue, he's walked in January when it's -5F here.

I explained this situation to the smartest friend I have. Bright guy. He said his only conclusion is this guy is keeping something/someone alive to go every single day. Drugs, you wouldn't go everyday. Cheating on a spouse (he's not gone long enough for that). So that freaked me out more. Which is why I avoid confrontation. I don't want to get brought into the situation. But with a wife and now a child on the way, I also don't want this worry in my area. Nor do I want anyone's family at risk in the area.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ok, that's accurate and funny.

rflair likes this.
  10. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    You either are afraid or you are not. I never understood how having children or being married changes anything. You are worried about your safety now and weren't before, why?

11. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Pardon me, don't know if you're married or not, but if you are and on top of that you have or don't have children how can you ask something like this? Of course anyone who is married and/or has children has more things to worry about.

OP, more than few months had passed since September, either you're gonna do something or this will "eat you alive". Either try to forget about this, probably not gonna happen, or do something. "Let's see if anyone else is going to do something" kind of thinking won't bring you any peace/sleep.

12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    Hey, we could write a book/make a movie with this thread!

a few suggestions for a title would be:

"The mystery man on the street."

"Who is that down there lurking around in the Darkness."

"The crack dealer making a drop."

Come on y'all, help me with some title suggestions!
    :D

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Following story may sound weird to some and I don't recommend anyone doing the same but this is how we deal with simmilar situations here recently...

We live in really peaceful neighbourhood, some really nice people around us and generations of us we all know eachother for ages. Two of my childhood friends with their wifes and kids live in the same street, first one some 15 meters across the street, other friend (my best man and godfather of my kids, also I'm gofather to his daughter) also lives across the street some 30 meters away. All three of us had our share of craziness back in the days, not that we are now completely... what's the right word... "clear minded" maybe :) but we are like babies now compared how we were in our "prime". But for our neighbourhood, even in our wildest days, we were always there to help, all people here are feeling the same. All in all really nice hood here to raise a familiy.

Was it 2 or 3 years ago, for sure it was before this Covid crap started, one house in our street was rented by some really "silent" guys, 4 or 5 of them, age between 18, 20 to 25. House I'm talking about is 3rd house from my house and right across the house of my best man, friend I was talking about a moment ago. Not sure about other neigbours, maybe they had noticed something, maybe not, maybe they were scared to talk to anyone but my best man first noticed some weird happening few hours past midnight in front of that house. More than few times between 2AM and 5PM he heard cars and motorcicles stopping in front of that house for 10, 15 seconds and leaving after that. He told me about that and together we tried to record those late night events but on surveilance cam it was hard to see anything clear by night. We did few surveilance sessions together by night, did a few semi-clear shots by day and after asking around a bit we found out who these guys were: fckin drug dealers! My wife has 2 brothers in local police station, also more than few friends there, I've asked her to "pull her connections" in police station, she did for sure, but police didn't reacted, nothing, obviously someone, or more of them, inside local police station was corrupted and these suspicious guys had their protection. They were living in that house for months, almost invisible by day, not a single gun incident or anything like that for months, but also not a single time as I'm aware police was patroling in our street by night since they moved in that house... read between the lines. So it was on three of us to do something...

Those drug dealers were living here for few months already, were they "just cooking" or dealing drug or both, nothing dangerous has happened so far but all three of us we have kids and wifes and we didn't wanted to regret later if anything happened and didn't do a s#it. Three of us we were almost sure most of our neigburhood was aware what was going there but guess they were scared to do anything or unsure what to do. No doubt our wives were suspicious too, but three of us we didn't wanted to spread panic.

Think it was new year's eve 2019 or 2020, for past more than 2 decades three of us we spend new year's eves together with our families, sort of a tradition, also all kind of other celebrations, so we decided this time "we'll have a need" for crazy amound of firework, we told our wifes nothing but that night their comment when they saw that pile of firework was (think we've spent total of almost 800€ for all kinds of firework thingies, rockets, huge multiple-firecrackers, vulcanoes...): "...you three idiots, preparing for war or something!?..." :D Half an hour before midnight three of us we dragged that pile of fireworks on the road in the middle of the street in front of the house of my best man, right across that house full of those guys, "accidentaly" :rolleyes: more than few few rockets and vulcanoes were aimed to the frontyard of that house, wives and kids were watching from the windows of my bestman's house... Few minutes before midnight we've set off the firework, all at once, backed some 5 meters away but when all hell started to drop around not even 10 meters away was safe enough. Rockets started ricocheting agains that house, powelines/telephone/cable TV lines in the middle of the street, huge vulcanoes + multiple firecrackers... it was like a frikin warzone, honestly we weren't expecting it's going to be so huge, at one moment other friend was shouting to us something like: "...guys, should we get a fire extinguisher... or is it too late for that already?...". Those guys panically started to run out from the house into the street, God knows what were they thinking, police raid or something... And there were three lunatics standing on the other side of firework pile looking at their direction. It was fun watching them jumping around trying to avoid firecrackers and firework ricochetes :D They've runned back into the house, my best man asked: "...are they going to bring guns now?..", firework from hell lasted few more minutes, at the end winter jackets of all three of us were completely trashed, full of small burn-through holes from fireworks because we idiots were standing so close to the "action". Those guys got out from the house again, air was so hard to breath because of smoking pile in he middle of the road, three of us still on the same place we were still watching at their direction, friend pulled a bottle of Vinjak from his smoking jacket and shouted at their direction: "...guys, anyone wants a shot of Vinjak!?...". They looked confused at least, probably they were thinking something like: "...and someone told to us we're going to operate in quiet neighbourhood..." :D Three of us returned back to my best man's house to our wives and kids few minutes after those guys returned back to their house.

One week later, on January 6, the night before our ortodox Christmass, three of us with our wives and kids, we had one more pre-Christmass celebration in the middle of our street till late night hours, that is a huge thing here, with massive camp fire, loud music, lots of people, kids, friends, alcohol, barbecue after midnight, a bit less (almost 300€ worh of) firework... again on purpose in front of the house of my best man. This time those drug dealers or whatever they were just occasionaly watching at us from the semi-closed windows shutters, every now and then us three half-drunked fools we were cheering with glasses or botles in their direction, for sure they saw us doing that. Even one police patrol came by to take few shots and snack a bit of barbecue around 2AM :D

One week later, 3rd part of our "offensive", three of us we were preparing fireworks, barbecue meet and alcohol for celebration of our ortodox New Year on night between January 13 and 14, again in the middle of the street, again on the same place... but this time there was no audience around, audience behind the windows shutters. They've left, no one knows when and where. While we were draging tables and chairs to the middle of the street friend added: "...it's going to be boring tonight without them?..." :) We've never saw them again...

I'm not saying all we did those nights was smart, it was on the edge of stupidity, OK I admit it was stupid indeed, but in our situation it was necessary, at least we brought back peace to our neighbourhood again, sometimes man's gotta do what men's gotta do...

Airbud likes this.
  14. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Now we know how you earned your name!

386SX and Airbud like this.
  15. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    It's a good question. Heard the same thing too many times already. When suddenly the child on a way miraculously changes a reckless maniac to worrisome best parent. I will give you a rather extreme example but a good one, I had a coworker who used to drive a motorcycle at 190 mph. And when I asked why no longer he does, he said he has a daughter now - it's nothing more than lame excuse for idiotic behavior and lack of values. If you do not value your life when you are single, your marriage and children is not going change anything, the problem is only transferred to a woman and children and the cycle of abuse continues, but now at someone else's expense. Luckily SerotoNiN is nowhere near as bad but the idea is the same, he now thinks his life matters(or matters more) than before, which is not true.

16. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Just wanted to say that I find your concern for your wife and future child, (congratulations and my very best wishes), perfectly understandable. I won't presume to know your exact thoughts on the matter, but I would describe this as taking responsibility for the well-being of your family. It seems clear to me that, as far as to the matter of your own self-preservation, your wife and child are clearly better off with a husband and father, respectively, than without. Who would argue otherwise?

My encounter with something of this nature was a bit more focused and personal. No harm done, aside from some anxiety, but it's still unresolved. But, this is your thread about your concerns; I think it's best that it remains just that.

Serotonin and Airbud like this.