The World's First Gaming OLED MONITOR: Dell Alienware AW3423DW

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Deleted member 164252, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2022
    cucaulay malkin likes this.
  2. And another person stunned by the Samsung's QD-OLED panel :) I really recommend everyone, if you have the chance, go and see it for yourselves.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What about screen burn with OLED?

anticupidon likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I've been gaming on OLEDS for a few years now. There are so many screen saving technologies with OLEDS currently. It would take an enormous amount of abuse to achieve burn in.

The new G2 is catching my eye. It comes with a heatsink that will provide more cooling and higher peak brightness.

Pretty awesome.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    excited to see the reviews
    might sell my current ones and replace it with this.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  6. It depends how you use it. If you know about burn-in then there is usually no problem, because you know what you shouldn't do...

Anyway, I'm really curious how good (or bad) the new QD-OLEDs will be in terms of durability, burn-in prevention etc.. Samsung has the most experience with OLEDs, they were the company who introduced world's first AMOLED display for commercial smartphones. And these new QD-OLED displays have really interesting combination of good and bad properties :)
    The bad thing is that they have to use blue OLEDs, which have the lowest lifespan. But, because they use only one type of material, they will have much better control over it, which will help them in better burn-in prevention. Above all that, they use multiple layers of the blue OLED with special transport layers between them. I saw some information a few years back that they will use 3 layers, but I'd except even more. These multiple layers can do wonders, depending on how they are controlled. But in the end of the day, only time will tell how good or bad it will be. I hope for the best! :)

edit: here is the QDOLED scheme, showing 3 separate layers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2022
    Valken and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    There is no way this is a daily driver. If you use a monitor all day like most of us do, I guarantee you at least will see color degradation in less than 2 years.

8. I have 2 hardware-calibrated LED LCD monitors and I can see color degradation even after a few months. Luckily, since they are hw calibrated, I can make them perfect again in a few minutes. Also, every light source is loosing brightness over time, even LEDs and they loose their brightness faster than you would imagine.

btw. I'm also very cautious about this panel. Mainly because it is completely new tech (with blue OLED material as light source) and nobody can say for sure, how it will handle 5 years of real-life operation. But I'm certain that when it releases, in 3 to 4 months, many people will watch this tech extremely closely, including all review sites with their long-term burn-in tests.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I want this, but as usual, will skip the first gen.
    On paper OLED ticks all the boxes, but the burn in scenario is always there.
    Maybe, hopefully the second gen will solve this and we may upgrade to this tech.

Totally unrelated, but all this reminds me of the first LCD monitor I upgraded from my trusty clunky Sony Trinitron CRT.

Serotonin and cucaulay malkin like this.
  10. To me this is the opposite actually. When I had to replace my widely superior 21" EIZO CRT with an LCD, that was the hardest moment for me in history of hardware upgrades.

I can't wait to finally replace this shitty LCD technology with an OLED (or other self-emissive tech). Damn, it was about time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2022
    Valken likes this.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Wait, we are in he same boat.
    Maybe I just didn't used the right words, or my sentence wasn't properly constructed to deliver the message.
    When I upgraded to an LCD from CRT I felt that someone pulled a stupid trick on me.

12. OpenSource Ghost

OpenSource Ghost Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti
    Lately display technology has been changing so fast that commonly-used consumer-level spectrophotometers (such as i1 Pro 2) are not able to measure the narrow light spectrum accurately. Any idea if such is the case with this display? I couldn't get some LG OLED panels to produce accurate skin tones (compared to reference-level CCFL displays) until I burrowed Klen K10.

I only for SDR image. I could care less about HDR because it isn't standardized and enterprise-level HDR displays used to master content are nothing like consumer-level HDR displays that comply or try to comply with whichever HDR certification (400, 600, 1000, etc.)

13. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've been wanting an OLED monitor for so long that I actually went ahead and ordered this monitor before there were any real reviews!:D Free shipping gets it here by next week. Big discount already using Dell Premiere, so I just couldn't resist. As long as it doesn't have a bunch of dead pixels like most monitors I buy, it should be great.

Deleted member 164252 likes this.
  14. I wouldn't worry about dead pixels on an OLED. OLED layers are printed so if anything, you would see a "dirty / noisy" screen or non-uniform brightness when viewing a still gray images.

15. Unfortunately, I can't answer that, because both of my LCDs are more than 6 years old and one of them has it's calibration device integrated into the monitor and the another one can be used with only 1 device sold with it (it's an I2D2 device class with a custom firmware). I also have separately sold I2D2 for general use though and I agree that the results may vary.

To be honest, I don't expect this monitor to be hardware-calibrated. It's a gaming monitor for enthusiasts, so don't expect hardware calibration and software calibration is always a bit problematic.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2022

16. There is the first (chinese) review of this monitor:

Peak SDR brightness:
    [​IMG]

Uniformity:
    [​IMG]

And measured GtG response time of 0.18ms.
    Its gamut is not professional-grade for AdobeRGB - only 95%.

Full review here: chinese review

edit: Subpixel structure from an early adopter on reddit :) Unfortunately, the tint on top and bottom parts of text indicates that it might not have the standard RGB layout we all know from LCD monitors. The [G]reen subpixel seems to be above the [RB] cluster.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2022
  17. JBCool

JBCool Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Argh, even though Dell had already confirmed the order and charged my card, I got an email today saying my order had been cancelled due to a "pricing error" and I'd get a refund soon.

I figured it was too good to be true. :(

18. Badgerslayer7

Badgerslayer7 Member

GPU:
    2080to
    That’s sucks mate

19. 2 more reviews worth watching:

20. According to Dell, this monitor should be available in Europe from today. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere :(