RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont think 3070ti is close to that let alone 3070. Actually guru3d review of 6800xt shows it scores 17500 so yeah, nice.

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    ampere,especially 3070ti,will have massive gains from uv+oc too.
    I'm able to get 7% perf increase on my 3060ti at 15-20w lower than stock power consumption.
    I know the reviewers are not always tweaking cards same way as we do,but it works the same for both sides.ampere is massively power limited at stock voltages,and the higher the sku,the bigger the gain from finding the sweet spot for clock and voltage.
    btw that's 18% in benchmarks.I'm talking about in game numbers.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    So far my best OC yet :

Settings :

Target clock : 2440 mhz
    voltage : 920mv
    mem +7% fast timing
    power +15%

Horizon Dawn shows same scaling as 3Dmark 1:1

Anyone has MPT safe settings for RX6800 ? I'm tempted to try , there is alot of power left there just needs more juice to the card!
    upload_2022-1-31_20-54-30.png

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    6800 already has efficient low default voltage and also a voltage/powertune limit lock that prevents gains by OC.
    I don't know why people even keep 3DMark installed, loading a Skellige woods savegame in Witcher 3 takes a bunch of seconds and I just need to look at fps counter.
    Though efficiency of 6800 definitely is nice, with UV it drew 180W ASIC at ~2.24GHz (read clock). 60% higher efficiency than UVed 5700 XT (~1.85GHz at 180W ASIC). UVed GDDR6 Ampere isn't that far behind, but GDDR6X cards are. Nvidia needs some kind of better cache, else they probably will look really bad with next gen of cards.

5. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    well we had a look what g6x really offers to performance and it turned out to be precious little on 3070 vs 3070ti.imo 3080/3080ti should have g6 non-x too, leave g6x for 3090.
    cache is getting less effective with resolution too,see how the difference is pretty much the same (3070 to 6800) at 1440p and 4K despite both being g6 256-bit,but one has a massive 128MB L3
    11% at 1440p and 4K
    https://www.computerbase.de/thema/grafikkarte/rangliste/#abschnitt_empfehlungen_fuer_wqhd
    Actually 6800 has a 16gbps vs 14gbps advantage too.and a huge infinity cache.yet the difference doesn't grow at 4K.

Nvidia will do g6x regardless of power draw anyway,cause they're stupid.thank god amd don't have access to that,cause they'd go the same route.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    That is mostly limited to smaller caches of 6600/6500 though. 6900 XT is closer to 3090 than 3080 in 4k (or, depending on the games and rBAR, even reaches/beats it), with 50W less power draw. Ampere also doesn't scale that well vs. Turing in 1080p, which doesn't support the thesis of cache being insufficient, but more like Ampere needing more pixels to shine.

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Firestrike shows overall gains , its good idicator , nothing else. Games have various results , some games getting close to 20% more performance some games getting just 1-3%. Depends on API/ ENGINE and actual load of the card.

In games i could test : Valhalla , Horizon , RDR2 , WWZ avarage gain from OC is 12% which i would consider good as it is almost without any cost.

Loophole35 and pegasus1 like this.
  8. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    I have a 6800xt that I use MPT with. As far as safe settings, raising the total power limit shouldn't cause any issues. At worst your card will pull more power than the cooler can cool and it will throttle. At best it will pull more power and you will need to run the fans at a bit higher RPM to dissipate the extra heat.

With that said increasing the max power limit on my card gave me pretty tremendous gains and let me maintain a stable 2760ish Mhz. With that said, my card does pull a crap ton of power under full load lol.

9. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    And no I am dead or anything.

Gonna post something I just stumbled across today after going down that rabbit hole trying to fix some of my messed up ram overclock. You know how one thing can lead to different topics on the internet.

Well I stumbled upon a mpt tweak/settings at least for my 6800xt and saw it works for 6900s as well.

This tweaks allows you to unlock as I said the gpu voltage without soldering anything so no hard modding, just MPT.

I wii edit this post in a bit with all the details, after my celebratory glass of wine when I am back at my PC.

Please note this can and will raise gpu temps so to push it to the limit will depend on your cooling plus pcb components.

I have only started testing this but my TS scores are near 22500 gpu now and I still have some headroom.

For those who do not want to wait for all my testing and such here is where I found this tidbit. Please keep in mind your VRMs on your GPU matter somewhat but AMD mandated at least for the 6800/6900 a certain high quality VRM.

This MPT tweak also confirms that AMD artificially locked not just Vram and Core frequency but also power.

I have a PowerColor Red Devil 6800 XT with a waterblock, just saying. Last TS result still pushing.

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26761386

Here is a picture of what to change in MPT as well as a link to the thread to the people who found this. I have not yet been able to read all the post since I found this I started fresh, deleted previous MPT settings, and only changed just the items in the red boxes. I have pushed it to 1300 over the 1250 as of this time. You can see these increases of gpu power in both GPU-z and HWINFO64.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/offizieller-amd-rx6700-rx-6700xt-x6800-6800xt-6900xt-overclocking-und-modding-thread-wakü-lukü-ln2.1282285/page-593

[​IMG]

I will post some of my TS result later.

IMO to be SAFE DO NOT JUST JUMP TO THE HIGEST POWERS SHOWN, take it in small steps and monitor everything.

No you do not need to set the GFX/SOC power to 900, Honestly 450 is enough and that is still above specs Some Cheap ass PSU is not gonna cut it either, you psu wire gauge will matter.

Lastly you will need to raise you clocks manually, as well as PL.

Note I did turn off all the DS aka Deep sleep features for testing, gonna test with them back on.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi and pegasus1 like this.
  10. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    My initial thoughts now I have been making adjustments via my post just above.

You will really need to know your GPUs pcb and just how good your vrm set up is.

For powercolor red devils 6800/6900 it has a massive overkill set up.
    If I remember correctly so does the Asus strix ones as well.

IMO you can and will see gains in performance but this will highly be depdant on your vrms as well as your cooling. I do not believe pushing a 2 fan setup as high as mine is feasible. My water-cooled PC Red devil 6800xt is now hitting 88 hotspot up from 69 with pretty much the accepted overclocking methods.

This should be doable on any 6000 series. I do not have others to test on.

I will test it out on one my 5700xts in the next day or two.

My last TS run is now substaining 2700 core with almost no clock streaching. Also vram clock does not seem to use looser timing when going over 2125 on the vram at these speed, but more testing is need with part.

The 2700 core speeds are giving me a gpu score of 22834.

I did managed to fix some of my bios screwups after trying out the new beta bios after I reverted back but I am still scoring lower then I should on my 5900x. And I was drunkenly told I could buy some new ram. Ended up with hynix chr or djr still not certain but it is getting there. I am only familiar with Samsung b-die.

11. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I am starting to push some limits maybe, or I am jusat not used to seeing hotspot temps over 90

Sorry for the large pic but wanted to show everything. Also sorry for any typos I broke my wrist about a week ago.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/72830509

/edit I just ran FS to see GPU score 61613 same settings but 10 degrees cooler hotspot

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  13. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    1 out of 50 games tested with rt on,
    on current high end cards,

HUB is just exceptional.even guru3d's 9 game reviews have two ray tracing tests included.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even in rasterized performance they are similar. Not what i've expected.

15. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what exactly did you expect then ?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    6800xt pulling ahead from 10gb 3080 and reaching or getting close to the 12gb by now.

17. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    but instead 3080 with 10G is even faster at 4K than it was
    and 10G for 4K is a tinier margin than 8G for 1440p

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You can't fine wine an architecture whose driver is already well optimized.

19. Godhand007

Godhand007 Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6900 XT
    Just FYI, Be careful with the voltage unlocks. I have had a situation where I was using this method with my reference 6900XT 24/7 and I started getting black screens during gameplay. It could have been due to a chip or degradation of some other components.

20. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Trust me understand that, I blew up a 290x back in the day.

For the extreme over voltage is just for a benchmark runs. Heck I do not even need what stock nor water-cooling for the one game I play. So I switch MPT profiles just for testing.

Yesterday I finally reached the limits on the gpu as it will just not go above 2740 -2751 no matter the voltage.

Though I did finally break 23k in timespy. You can get higher with the discontinued hardware mod chip.

But there are safe limits above what the bios allows, but you truly want one of the tank GPUs that were so over designed like I have, powercolor red devil 6800xt.

Of course if you have the unlocked 6900 xt extreme GPUs you can get even better results