Shadow Warrior 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Undying, Jul 6, 2020.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You mean async compute, I mean DXVK async shader compile path.

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Yes, I was referring to async compute.
    I didn't know DVXK supported async shader compilation.

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It indeed doesn't officially, you need an unofficial build with this patch applied (available there) and set it activated via config/env var (the former didn't work for me):
    https://github.com/Sporif/dxvk-async

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  4. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Crap is this game out now, anyway shadow warriors 2 had horrible stutter ,the actual fix was triple buffering for smoooth gameplay.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Oh, I didn't mean it in a "skill" way...
    I meant it as a he rushes through games to get a review out quickly. Nothing to do with skill, but trying to push through as fast as possible.
    So, whenever he talks about how long a game is... it's always way short compared to what experience.

I've mostly stopped watching his reviews, I too often completely disagree.

Shadow Warrior 2 was on a completely different engine.
    Used Flying Wild Hog's in house engine, RoadHog. This is their first time making a game on a different engine, they've used Roadhog since Hard Reset.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Roadhog was clunky. Remember how hard reset was running when it was released? Redux made it much better. This is actually running better than sw2 especially when fighting large groups.

7. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    it seems the async doesn't work w/ maxwell card. why they ditched own engine, ue4 stutter isn't fun at all

8. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Pure pragmatism i guess.
    You need a half a dozen engine programmers to figure out support for all of the individual platforms for your engine, keep it up to date with fancy new features and so on and so forth.
    However programmers are most scarce and expensive resource in gamedev, especially ones that can find work somewhere in industry for (way) more money with (way) less crunch.

You don't need look far - Krzystof Narkowicz was one of their rendering programmers IIRC, shortly after SW2 he jumped ship to microsoft if memory serves me right and now works at Epic working full time on engine that amusingly FWH now uses either way:
    Krzysztof Narkowicz (@knarkowicz) / Twitter

Susahamat likes this.
  9. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    thanks for the info i didn't know before. yeah most indie dev doesn't have graphics engineer programmer right ? to make shaders optimization works properly, i heard UE4 Pipeline state object it's badly documented.

https://twitter.com/Snefer/status/1488645473762267136
    https://twitter.com/8r3d/status/1498700685650632704

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nothing :)

It was just "well crap" statement as in I have been running UE4 games mostly as are like a dumbass :D

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Roadhog had it's rough edges, but was still a solid engine.

I remember SW 2013 at release, it's performance would tank if you had full world reflections on...
    Thankfully they released a pretty large update that completely redid how the engine handled it's reflections and added in the Zilla boss fight.

12. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    if DXVK add shader complier downloadable pre games like Cemu Emulator would be awesome

13. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Fired up the game in DX11 with Triple Buffering on in the Nvidia Control panel. Smooth gameplay and I like the lighting at the start of the game.Shadow Warrior 2 was pure fun and I wish for more of the same in Shadow Warrior 3.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Don't know if that would work. I am sure the shaders created would only work on the hardware they were generated on with that driver. If you update your GPU driver the shader compiling needs to start again.

Cemu used to use precompiled shaders and people used to share them around, however this was stopped a while back as it led to increased shader cache sizes/ bloated caches. For instance, Zelda BOTW had somewhere in the region of 13k shaders in its full compiled cache. Some people would download and use this but their system would create duplicates of the same shaders leading to some people sharing bloated caches. I remember seeing a shader cache at around 32k shaders. This would lead to graphical errors, crashes, and sometimes lower fps.

They ditched this and implemented Vulkun API along with async shader compilation, which virtually removed shader stutter.

PhazDelta likes this.
  15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Uninstalled the game, it stutters like hell.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If memory serves the renderer was practically rewritten and switched to DX11 instead of DX9.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should not had removed the game for a few stutters. Completely unreasonable.

18. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    He owns an enthusiast grade PC and cannot enjoy the game. I agree with him. Programmers should try creating better games. It is getting tiring to cope with stuttering in most games nowadays. It's not 2010.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Many of us have a midrange grade pc's and can still enjoy the game.

DannyD likes this.
  20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Maybe nVidia and AMD could create an online depository, for each of their cards and drivers. When a user played a game and compiled it, it would be sent to the cloud. Then any other gamer would receive the compiled shader and run the game without stutter.
    nVidia and AMD could even have a small team just running games and compiling shaders for the most popular releases.