NVMe SSDs randomly disappeared.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by MikeMK, May 10, 2021.

1. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    OK, I have a strange problem that I can't quite work out.

I have a gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, with 3x NVMe drives installed. They have been working fine for about a year in this config with no issues. However, last night I booted up my rig and 2 of them have disappeared from windows. Windows does not detect them at all, either in Device manager or Disk management.

The strange thing is that they both appear absolutely fine in bios. They are different brands (one corsair, one samsung) so I don't believe they both could of died, which leads me to believe its either a Windows issue or a motherboard issue.

I've reinstalled chipset driver to no avail, and tonight I'll pull the drives out and try to test them separately.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    uninstall the amd nvme driver that WU just shoved on you, its broken on Gigabyte motherboards.

Look for AMD Raid Bottom-Device
    bad version is v9.3.0.221

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    That did the trick! Thanks for the pointer!

4. SiMallV719

SiMallV719 Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    v9.3.0.221 seems to have been released again by Ms on update, gave it go and this time all my drives work, could have updated it, but why the same numbers if so, anyway pleased to say mine is working well now

5. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Got a 980 Pro in December and this has happened to me twice - first in January while gaming which triggered a WHEA BSOD, second time yesterday while it was idle on the desktop and went to a file could not be written error. It rebooted straight to the BIOS and the ssd wasn't detected until I did a full restart. Latest firmware, latest bios and OS updates. What I did for now is turn off pcie link power savings, let's see how it goes

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Oh it's a X570 chipset.
    Well, @Astyanax pointed to the root cause.
    For a second, I though that you have a AM4 with B450/chipset, on which that NVMe bug is more frequent.

7. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Actually I'm using B550

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    In use devices are locked by windows, it can't have triggered a bsod while gaming to have been pushed a driver that causes the disks to disappear.