At $1299, Alienware new QD-OLED 34-inch monitor is available for preorder. soon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2022.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Oh Yes it's very real

2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

this is 175Hz (w/ DP)
    and i actually prefer UWQHD. but i'm not a first person shooter fan & i'm a huge movie buff so there you go.
    BUT for adventure, puzzle, mmorpg, flying, etc... it's the bomb

Solfaur and cucaulay malkin like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

use DP. it's really 175Hz. AND it's a higher DCPI than most monitors above 98%

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Displayport 1.4...not even 1.4a

That's 2016 tech, and my point is; for that money? That's weak sauce, which completely belies the actual quality of the gaming panel.

6. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    Why care about it, when it runs at 175Hz and everything with DP 1.4? Besides:
    Anyways, I think I gonna buy this monitor, wanted something bigger but I settle with this. They should have gone with freesync (ultimate) then it would even be like $150 cheaper as well. Or hopefully other monitor manufactures will also make monitors with this same panel.
    Why Samsung doesn't make 1 first I wonder.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Original reports on this monitor were saying that this 3 years warranty also includes full cover for potential burn-in.
    This screen is blue oled with QD matrix making the color pixels so it should not suffer from color changes, burn-ins and other issues as much as older LG RGBW OLED screens.

8. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    That's unfortunately 2n gen G-sync modul limitation, you can complain to Huang about it, but thats all you can do....other than wait for freesync alternative from Samsung.
    I tried few freesync monitors year ago before getting AW3821DW (use same gen2 g-sync module) and returned them because of many issues with Nvidia GPUs and VRR. (Gigabyte, MSI, Benq, Iiyama, all having similar problems, though Gigabyte was worst)

Freesync GPU works fine on all gen2 gsync monitors, other way not so much.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    As first out of the gate performance will be very good for the picture, I'm sure the demand will be high.

As new and as modern as they are trying to make this monitor, I still think it's overpriced for the performance you will get when running at high frame rates. Regular desktop usage will be fine, but once you move into 60+ frames, that quality will drop off a cliff as you will lose color.

I think that if you are first, you should really be delivering the best that exists and this panel is not the best, runs out of date chipsets and even for movies, it does not run Dolby Vision or any of its runty children, like IQ+ etc.

And it's curved, which is a fail for something which should have 178 degree perfectly well with no loss of gamma or contrast...so why does it have to be curved?

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

Samsung let Dell be the "guinea pig" for the yield. also the panel (as opposed to the screen) is made by LG, LG makes (too few imho) relatively few panels @ 34" (they will be coming out w/ their own).
    this is the market testing of QD/OLED by Samsung while they took the lessons learned and try to scale them for large
    displays.
    this happens all the time (tho' mainly by LG for monitors) when the OEM wants to widen the base for production costs.

Strijker likes this.

11. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    My understanding is that the HDMI 2.0 limitation, like DP 1.4 mentioned by @xrodney later in the thread, is a limitation of the G-SYNC module.

While I'm interested in this and will watch the reviews with interest I'll wait for Samsungs own, or other vendors that will omit the module.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Well, My understanding is that 80% of the small panels (anything under 48 inches in diameter) are not viable due to the pressurization process. Impurities commonly reach the internal panel making it not viable.
    Most companies use LG OLED panels because so far LG is the only company that manages to keep panel yields at a rate that it is commercially viable.

It may be silly, but that is the information I have read. Call me crazy, but if OLED technology is so easy good and great because it has been a decade, why are companies not making them in mass to make more profits?

13. @man_daddio

@man_daddio Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti 11Gb
    Prices on everything OLED have to come down. Seems if you put the word gaming or monitor in a description it doubles the price of what it should cost.
    I am in the market for a new high resolution monitor but not at this price.