Going from 32Gb to 64Gb RAM.. what to expect?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by W@w@Y, Feb 5, 2022.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    waste of money, iv had 32gb for around 2 years, dont even think iv used 16 of it yet.

2. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Im on 32gb, mostly for large missions in DCS but wouldn't go 64gb until i move to DDR5, and that aint anytime soon at current prices.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I peaked 80-90℅ use of the 16 GB I have by using lots of VMs for study.
    Apart from that , very few situations will require more.
    However, I'll eventually upgrade to 32GB some time, but also think that money can be a part of the price to buy a secondary computer on which I can install Proxmox and use all virtualization there with better memory management.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Honestly not worth it with your described uses.

I'm sure you barely use 32 GB atm in worst case scenario.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you can't.

6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Going off topic a little here. But why do people turn off the page file. Also can it be truly turned off??
    Seems to me with 16Gb+ of ram then no page file is need. Right??

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes it can be turned off, and yes it will give you issues...

vestibule likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
  9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Video editing, CAD, imaging software for extremely high resolutions, heavy rendering, 3DS Max, Maya and other resource heavy creative software will benefit from high memory.

If you're not into those things and you're just gaming and web browsing, you're good with what you have.

When 32gb and 64gb regularly become gaming requirements, we'll be upgrading our whole PC's.

10. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC

Hey there @W@w@Y good to see you're still in the forums Guru. Please keep in mind that Alienware Systems are not friendly with different RAM manufactures. Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM is what Dell/Alienware use with their Z490 boards. You and I practically have the same system. Alienwares are known to be a bit "proprietary" to a degree. The RAM you're looking at on Amazon may not work in your system.

I rarely see my system go over 32gb of usage. If you're going to continue working in CAD and plan on keeping your system for a long time, the cheaper option would be to purchase another 32gb that is compatible with your system. Will you see a big difference? Not really. I went from 32gb to 64gb due to what I use for work.

I benefitted from the extra RAM. Dell is known to have great sales on memory. I would catch a sale if I were you.

For most of my programs the 3090 does a huge bulk of the work. My system RAM only gets a heavy workout from a records keeping system that I use.

tunejunky likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You didnt play star citizen then. ;)

tunejunky likes this.
  12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    would staying at 32Gb RAM but say
    Hey Man! my Alienware is just the monitor, the rest are still custom/DIY PC

That said, my CAD work is just simple, 2D work (Floor plans) and none of the 3d stuff.
    My line of work is in workplace interiors, but as I manage the team, CAD wise, i just do some floor plans, maybe some photoshopping of visuals (done by our visualizer)
    and sometimes help our designers to run sketchup + enscape

Seems like if I were to get 64Gb I really need to manage my expectations on the performance gain, and maybe not have any at all so im gonna checkout for deals before jumping the gun

13. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    wasnt that foolish to invest in some guys lifestyle lol.

14. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    Unless you are heavily working with multiple VMs, running dedicated server or some very professional video production, you don't need that much RAM. In your configuration and use case you are using at best some quarter of RAM or less. Even if there would be unlikely scenario where you would use all your RAM, your PC would not crash or anything like that it would just swap the running program for a while, you probably would not even notice it.
    At work I have 10 year old i3 desktop with 4 gigs of RAM, which can feed video memory for iGP, run 2D drawings and multiple browser and office instances like nothing.

15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Im gonna assume that office pc is still running win7 then - i wouldn't want to have a win10 pc with only 4gb ram. Unless that pc is purely running citrix.

16. Raserian

Raserian Master Guru

GPU:
    No no, it has windows 10 and it works just fine. It will be upgraded to 8 gigs at some point but it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

17. What are these issues? I keep hearing people claiming the page file can't be disabled and all that, but I don't think I've seen a reproducible issue from having the paging file off. I've had it off at times with 16GB RAM, and also with 32GB without any known issue.

Someone give me a known reproducible issue that can be done without a paging file, preferably something that I can actually run into with real-world situations, and preferably not something obvious or unrealistic (like 500 Chrome tabs causing an OOM situation).

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @op

your mobo is daisy chained and that is a no no with all 4 slots occupied. It will work, but it will stress IMC more and your ram max frequency will go lower. I think 4400 is the max in 4x., you will need to adjust some voltages or if all at auto it will set them even higher.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?...single-vs-dual-rank-stability-testing.363139/

your ideal solution would be 2x16gb DR CL16 kit, e.g.

F4-3600C16D-32GTZN
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gskill-trident-z-neo-ddr4-3600-c16-2x16gb-review

or this corsair CL14, I think this one is the best
    https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB/p/CMT32GX4M2Z3600C14

:)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Nothing for the OP's uses unless you want to run games off a RAM drive. If you have an SSD, you do not need it.

If you do not, get an SSD or more RAM, whichever is cheaper.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Vulkan and D3D12 are less stable.
    Applications that require contiguous allocations will fail
    Applications that allocate (not necessarily use) more commit then they need will fail (Virtual machines, some 64bit games)
    Kernel Stack space behaves differently, with a pagefile it is reserved but not commited, without a pagefile it is immediately committed. (User Stack space reserves but not commits in both scenarios)
    Large Pages is not compatible with a system that has its page file disabled.

Deleted member 282649 likes this.