Turn PC off, leave it on or put to sleep?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Serotonin, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    I always shut down my pc at night.
    Same when I leave home for more than 30 minutes.

2. Ormy

Ormy Active Member

GPU:
    3080Ti 12GB
    From my understanding the 'inrush current' is mainly an issue for the PSU rather than other components, and mostly mitigated these days as PSU's will add a few milliseconds of delay between powering on each component. I also understand that what tends to cause increased wear and tear on all components is the heating/cooling cycles when turning the PC off and on. For this reason I have always left my PCs on 24/7 (unless I'm away from home for a few days, holiday etc) with all the HDDs and monitors set to never sleep. Another reason for this is that older OSs (i.e. win7 & winXP) usually didn't handle S3 sleep very well, various components would not wake properly or just not work until a reboot. And electricity was cheap, especially at night time.

However, now I have a win10 machine that does handle S3 sleep better and electricity (day rate and night rate) has become much more expensive. Also my new win10 machine has higher idle draw than my previous machines despite an 80+ Titanium PSU. As such I am now putting this PC into S3 sleep overnight and while I'm at work.

I have other machines (mostly laptops) that only get used rarely (a couple hours per month), they spend most of their time in S4 hibernate and only get powered up when I need them.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Off when i don't plan to use it for longer than an hour.

And during the night even the powerbrick goes off, or when i leave the house for longer than an hour.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I turn my PC off most of the time. Definitely overnight and when I'm off to work, just like when I turn off all the lights and so on. The boot times are minimal nowadays, so the time it takes to wake a PC / power on and log into Windows is mostly the same (the few seconds never bothered me).

5. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    It ain't the early 2000's.

Yes, it's cause of some concern, but not of major significance.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Never use Sleep/Hiberation on "desktops" turn my pc on in the morning and turn if off at night. system boots up in less then 10seconds and is usable.

Everyone that i ever know that has used sleep hibernation have had issue at one time or another when use it and complained about it to, my response was stop using your pc takes 10 seconds to boot less you using some potato drive from back in the early 1990.

Boot times are non existant on windows these days if you have Sata SSD. only time I ever seen windows have loading time longer then 10 seconds was back when my pc was Sata II only and avast has nasty bug that cause boot time to more then triple and that was back with win 7

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Turn off when not in use.

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    No matter on or off, disconnect the internet when not in use. Cannot be too careful these days.

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I don't turn off the PC during the day (I enabled power saving features though), but before going to bed I shut it down as it'll be unused for 8 to 20 hours (depending on whether it's a work day, etc).