Problems TPM 2.0 and AMD - performance issues with both Windows 11 and 10?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    can't say I have any issues here on my W11 3700x. Been using it since a month before official release.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah, you do.

Would have been faulty since you bought it, the forced/default tpm config in the latest bios is exposing it because of periodic validation colliding with a correctable bus error, which Ryzen cpu's have higher than the industry average of.

since the ftpm fires a locking interrupt IO delays until the interrupt service succeeds.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  3. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No this issue isn't related to hardware based TPM modules. In fact dedicated TPM modules should not have this issue at all. This is related to the firmware TPM built in the BIOS/CPU aka fTPM.

tunejunky likes this.

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I have fTPM enabled (well everything necessary for W11) and I briefly tested W11 twice, initially when W11 beta was available which I rolled back soon after disliking certain UI changes and more recently this week for a day, observed no issues either time. I've had the settings in bios enabled since the initial W11 beta test and had no issue within Windows 10 at the very least.

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I was running an x570 Aorus Master using fTPM under Win10 for two years before I upgraded to Win11 a few weeks ago--no performance problems with fTPM ebabled whatsoever in all of that time. Seems to work as advertised, completely transparent. I think that people are running into Win11 bugs of some kind and jumping to the fTPM theory because it's something new for them. But as to why they'd get stutter with fTPM enabled, but not with it disabled, I won't even try to guess....;) The things people do in their systems when they act on faulty/terrible advice would blow your mind...! Blew mine sometimes, I can tell you...;)

tunejunky likes this.
  7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You can get TPM 2.0 for like 10-15USD on aliexpress for every motherboard manufacturer and pin version.
    Its just a small dongle iwth single Infenion chip, nothing too complicated.

But this article is about the tpm you have on your CPU, IMO using add-on TPM is better then CPU one, because it never resets you can update bioses without any issues

Google Explorer patcher
    Its the best UI soft/patch that gets updated weekly
    It combines all windows options going back tp XP and let you choose
    I have Windows 11 with windows 10 taskbar that can be dragged and dropped to with window taskbar tabs open separately, not merged, with windows taskbar button on the left but menu opens in the middle [I have 55inchg monitor so i prefer middle over left side]
    It has tons of option, like disabling new windows 11 right click menus in explorer and so on

Doesn't make sense that TPM affects performance, its not related to that part of PC its just a "chip that stores stuff"

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  8. Dogmeat

Dogmeat New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 8G
    I have fTPM enabled in BIOS and this stuttering issue usually happens once per day, only discovered several days ago it might be connected to fTPM. The issue happens on Windows 10, 11 and Linux based operating systems. It was driving me crazy and tried some workarounds (forcing PCIE3, stock RAM/IF etc) but nothing worked and if it is caused by a faulty CPU (5800x), I would need to RMA entire PC which I already had to do due to faulty GPU... and I don't plan to do it again.

9. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I too have a similar issue. Sound goes awry and computer basically is unresponsive for maybe three seconds or so. This happens perhaps once per day for me too. I have not yet tried to disable TPM. AMD should really focus on this issue or anyone who is responsible. This is the reason why Intel fans don't buy AMD, even if I can live with stuff like this.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  10. Dogmeat

Dogmeat New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 8G
    It's as you describe, in my case it lasts for a second or two. Sound, mouse cursor, game or video stutters really hard.

HonoredShadow and GamerNerves like this.

11. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    May I ask why you bought a TPM module when your cpu already has it?

12. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    Nahh, it`s 99% software bound.
    I had random sound distortion and stutter, 1-2 seconds long, in any video and any game when I switched to this AMD 5900x X570S Master combo. Both 10 and 11 were affected and it took me weeks to find the bad guy. It came and went with Gigabytes AppCentre software + SIV on top. When that was installed I had the issue. TPM was active all the time.

I had a similar issue with my 8700K Z370 Asus combo for years. It was caused by a known faulty series of Intel Rapid Storage driver that caused that stutter on a minority of systems and ONLY when I had my HDD's active. With SSD/NVMe alone I had no issues. I used an older driver for years and when that got incompatible I deactivated the HDDs in Bios unless I did a Backup over night. TPM also active but it didnt cause the symptoms.

Both symptoms never showed up in Linux, only 10 and 11. Makes you think what to boot and not get annoyed.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I really don't know, i have installed without secure boot and TPM since day zero (for those who know it's like on windows server).
    So everything is fast and smooth.

14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Because CPU TPM are slower and less secure, external TPM chip are better and cost from 19 to 39 Euro.
    So it's a good solution if you want TPM.

15. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    5900X

No issues on Win 11

On AGESA 1.2.0.6 beta BIOS

17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Ryzen 1700 on ASUS X370-F here.
    I did the newest BIOS update which brings W11 compatibility (BIOS wise, 1700 still is not compatible).
    No real issues which I could pinpoint to fTPM, but I am on W10 still (21h2).

Is there something I could "trigger", to see if I am affected? Something what may almost always show up?

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had fTPM enabled since 2016, across 4 motherboards and 5 different AMD processors ..... Haven't had a single performance issue at any point that could even remotely be related to the fTPM.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    False.

20. sc0rpion

sc0rpion Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB