Search for a suitable laptop for my daughter

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by 386SX, Jan 19, 2022.

?

What would fit the needs?

1. AMD 7CU

12.5%
  2. AMD 8CU

12.5%
  3. Forget it. dGPU or go home.

25.0%
  4. AMD 3CU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. AMD 5CU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Go Intel, that is enough.

50.0%
  1. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Hi all.

Time has come and her grand grand dad told me he wants to buy her "such a laptop thing".
    He told me I should choose it, budget is about 500 euros, "but I want her to be happy. So if it costs a bit more that is OK. Just don't choose sh!t." (His words)

My daughter is 9 years old and plays Minecraft a lot, watches Youtube a lot and has a Wacom tablet (USB) and some drawing software like Sketchbook. Some browser games on top but that is it.
    So I thought about a Ryzen with iGPU, as those are very potent in comparision to any Intel and a dGPU would rip the budget completely.

So do you gurus have something in mind you could recommend? And what AMD iGPU should be suitable? Do I have to go to Vega 8CU (R7 5700U) or would a smaller version (7CU, like on 5500U) be sufficient?

Here are some models I found:

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2660429&cmp=2588308&cmp=2647717&cmp=2570242&cmp=2580525
    (German, for the prices I would pay)

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=2660429&cmp=2588308&cmp=2647717&cmp=2570242&cmp=2580525
    (English, for comparing specs)

Any help is welcome. :)

2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @anticupidon @fantaskarsef @mbk1969

Sorry for linking you just to get your input, but it seems this part of the forum is visited not so often. ;)

@insp1re2600 your thoughts are welcome as well, you know? :D
    Come on, it never was THIS easy to make a girl happy. :D

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sorry my friend, I have literally no experience with running Minecraft or owning this kind of GPU :D
    What I can say, I took the lowest spec laptop there was available, with dual core CPU and whatnot, it was horrible. Please don't go 3CU :D Good that you don't go that low. However, I guess the more the better...

Ultimately, just deciding from the guts, I'd go for the medium one hardware wise (7CU), the three versions in the middle seem to only differ in the windows version (or the lack of) when you get them.
    Installing windows should not be an issue if you happen to have a license, buying a key seems to be really cheap also, cheaper than the almost one hundred € difference.

But I guess other people have better info on running Minecraft on laptops.
    Out of curiosity, what dGPU do you even get in that price range?

386SX likes this.
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @386SX thanks for considering our input, I feel like I am not the best to give advice.
    But I'll give my best, hope that I manage to clear some things out.

Taking in account that a laptop can almost never upgraded on the iGPU, go for the best iGPU budget can afford. Vega 8CU (R7 5700U
    On the other hand, Minecraft can be run even on a Raspberry Pi (with some limitations).
    Can you choose to buy the laptop without OS? Just a reminder, you can do all the above mentioned computing easily under Linux. Privacy is a must for kids using computers.

fantaskarsef and 386SX like this.

5. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    None in that price range. The cheapest dGPU they offer in a 17" laptop is some GTX 1650 for about 1000 euros (a bit less) while some 3060 based laptop would be about 1100 to 1200 (which would make more sense than to buy a 1650 based laptop). But prices would almost double, therefore my question. I would go that route and add 600 on top, but I dont see the need for a 9 year old girl to have a laptop like this. :)

I am surprised the black models listed are all silver btw. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    For all kids from family and friends I recommended to parents used Thinkpads
    While those would not win any gaming contest, having modest iGPU, but they are stellar in robustness and sturdiness.
    Kids are kids, they have a way of playing with tech we just can't comprehend and all damage done (voluntary or not) ends up paid by parents.
    So, a used Thinkpad can take a serious beating and little damage is inflicted, spare parts are relatively cheap.

Maybe I am too pragmatic and all. But some little girl was so caring and loved so much her virtual cat, that she poured a glass of milk on screen and keyboard.
    Luckily, her parents took my advice and got her a X220 laptop, so not so much damage was done, if any. That little machine just kept on going even with milk dripping from the keyboard.
    The keyboard and the motherboard was cleaned and the laptop works to this day.

Sorry for the long endorsement, but as a former tech with lots of laptops repaired, I have a duty to say all of the above.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    fantaskarsef and 386SX like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only some tips:
    - only models where you can swap all RAM planks (yourself preferably);
    - only models where you can swap storage drive (yourself preferably);
    - no models with dual/switchable graphics - only with single iGPU or dGPU;
    - in case of dGPU preferably models with CPU and GPU sitting on separate heating pipes - for better cooling.

And maybe tablet to avoid all of this and to get better portability.

fantaskarsef, 386SX and anticupidon like this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    She already owns a tablet and a desktop computer. Tablet is some quadcore Lenovo with Android 7 or 8 and her computer is an i7-2600 on some OEM board and 4x 2GB DDR3-1600 I previously used in my x79 build. GPU is an ASUS GTX980 Strix.

I thought about upgrading her rig instead, but her grand granddad told me otherwise ... well ...

I agree with you @mbk1969 , therefore if you look closely, all your recommendations are fulfilled by every single model I picked.
    And 500GB disk space should be enough, we have a NAS. ;)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    AMD's iGPU is a lot faster than any Intel while saving more energy than a dGPU. Reviews show decent numbers in any game with 1080p resolution.

What AMD CPU did you own which overheated so much? Some Ryzen?

Undying likes this.
  10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Amd cpus runs alot cooler and gpu drivers are miles ahead of intel. If he owned ryzen system he would knew that.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    buying vega now,I don't know about that.how long until it goes legacy like the rest of gcn ?
    seems like it's the only option though.

btw all those vega7 laptops you posted are unavailable,according to the page you posted.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its gonna be replaced with rdna2 very soon and left behind but for now it is the only option and a good one compared to intel offerings.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
  14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    She owns a Switch and I hate Xbox, but thanks. :)

I found these:
    https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2588489&cmp=2580525&cmp=2670617&cmp=2528942

They seem to differ just by runtime on battery. I would take the cheapest I can get out of these. Or can someone tell me what differs on the hardware side so the otherwise same models have such a wide range on the battery side? 5.5 hours versus 8.25 hours with the same battery sounds like some GPS module or something like that.

A comparable r5-5500u laptop would cost 50 to 100 bucks less, so I get 2 more cores and a better iGPU which means faster gameplay and a longer cycle until the device is too slow.

Sadly all silver, besides listed as black. Anyway ....

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    386SX likes this.

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Oh well ... I must confess I did not read any XE reviews yet. Thanks for the knowledge. ;)

Anyway, if I filter to just show models with XE graphics, I just get 14 inch models.

https://geizhals.de/?cat=nb&xf=17552_13+-+Intel+Iris+Xe&sort=p&hloc=at&hloc=de&v=e

And I am no fanboy of any maker. My AMD preference is resulting out of my previous believe that AMD iGPUs are faster than Intel ones. Well, except XE ...
    I would take a comparable laptop with Intel CPU/iGPU instead. Is anything else from Intel conparable to Vega7/8 or is XE the first gen to archieve that?

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Actually, i should also be careful here because theres 2 different Iris Xe's!, the Iris Xe and Iris Xe Max, one on the cpu and the other integrated on the motherboard, and i am honestly not sure which of them is in that vega 8 comparison.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xe-MA...is-Xe-G7-80EUs_9956_10364_10395.247598.0.html

386SX likes this.
  18. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Thanks for the explanation. But I guess because of (non-)availability I stay at the Ryzen route for now. But I'll keep my eyes open ...

19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    @Astyanax I searched again, seems somehow I missed a few. So I chose some models, those are the last 3 in this list:

https://geizhals.de/?cmp=2588489&cm...p=2528942&cmp=2477540&cmp=2641004&cmp=2513592

The first one is the cheapest I could find at that config, but with 15 inches. The second one is the same as the first but black. The third is the cheapest 17 inch model. :O
    For 100 euros more I get a laptop with RTX3060 ...
    And I still dont know if that is the one iGPU from your comparision neither, to be bloody honest. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    fantaskarsef likes this.