Blu-ray UHD discs are no longer supported on latest Intel PC processors.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2022.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    DRM is the digital pest.
    Playing by the book, do every thing right and still getting the short end of the stick.
    You can't even own your own media nowadays.

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    What's going on here is just another push to get rid of all physical media and force users onto monthly subscription services where big tech controls everything and you own nothing.

When in the course of human history has the side that’s doing the censoring and trying to shut people up and make them show papers and marginalize a part of the community ever been [the correct side]?

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Fair point.

4. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    problem is not AMD/NV/intel but DRM...
    its simple only about obstacles for everyone nothing more
    at the end DRM protecting big nothing just sucking our money for devlopment, implementation etc
    big fail for me
    without DRM life be easier for everyone

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    This is some next-level Apple 3.5mm jack move.

Curious question: How many people actually use Blu-ray on their PC's anyways? I have a BD drive as I bought it 10 years ago thinking I was going to play in the future and I never did. I'd rather have a proper BD player attached to my 4K OLED TV for viewing. I mean I guess I might as well ask how many people have a PC monitor with 600 nits brightness or better?

In fact the latest Disney Plus IMAX Enhanced films are better quality than Blu-Ray (minus the audio).

Neo Cyrus and Airbud like this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Eh i never use my DVD drive to play dvd movies on pc, And I never bought Bluray drive more PC either, I was gona to use so there came point thought I should get one so i could emulate my ps3 games on pc which would require bluray drive, but that is about it.

I have not even use optical drive in pc in decade now, At somepoint I might pick up a extrernal bluraydvd/cd burner if i ever find one for price that would make worth it.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeah i don't even have my dvd optical drive hooked up on my pc, it has just sat their filling a slot for years now, and the only time i connect up is when i need to reinstall W10, which last time would be a few years ago when i bought a ssd drive just to have W10 on...........but it will be well over a decade since i used it for a game, and br and uhd movie stuff i use on consoles.

8. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @nick0323
    more connected to the fact that the tv set its settings to match the "settings" of the movie, not so much that its a better copy.
    the same way you will see a difference switching between Normal/Stnd to Movie/Dolby on the same signal..

9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    It was a while ago but I remember a discussion about hardware level DRM in speakers and monitors. Imagine if that actually happened?

At least we can count of stupid decisions keeping the retro hardware market alive.

10. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I actually recently upgraded my PC case to one where optical drives cannot be installed, so I bought an external case for the drive. I'm not a big movie guy, but I do lend movies from library when I want to watch something and without the drive I couldn't watch them. I'm in a situation where I don't own a TV nor want to and I watch movies so irregularly, that it would not make any sense to pay for an online service. I also decided to update to Windows 11 little early, this month, which thankfully went smoothly, but am I screwed now regarding Bluray discs or what is the case?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @XP-200

yah i have not touched my PC game collection that is on cd/dvd in just as long , I mostly just got copies of those games digital if i cared enough. last time I used my optical drive was to rip iso of my ps2 games I play threw pcsx2.
    Optical drive use pretty non existent on pc now atlest for me, I use usb or external drive now, Now consoles on the other hand I will ALL ways have those games on physical disc to the day they end that which hope never happens.

XP-200 likes this.
  12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    its already such a pain getting blu-ray to read on an external drive as is with windows 10, I still like to own my physical media but its becoming harder and harder to do so

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Looking at it from another POV, why bother with a physical media when you can get it digital?
    At least when it comes to newer films and even music physical medias are inferior, unless someone still got the good old hardware to record and master it with.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Some people like to buy physical media, have it on a shelf as a thing that they can look at, look at the picture on the cover, read the synopsis on the back... make a little collection.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Keitosha likes this.
  15. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Well, imagine if companies around the world focused on actually improving their products instead of finding things to annoy their customers....

Keitosha likes this.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To be completely honest, I never understood watching Blu Ray on the PC. If you prefer a disc for quality reasons, you should watch it on a displayand player that can do native 4:2:0 10 bit, which is definitely not the PC. A dedicated player is where it's at.

For the rest, M-Disc Blu-Ray is the only long-term storage option anyway.

fry178 likes this.
  17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    A lot of people don't even own TVs anymore. I have not watched TV for 9 years and in August it will be 10 years. I still see some movies in the theater but almost all content I consume is on one of my PCs.

That said, this specific DRM issue has no direct impact on me other than how annoying it is to see people playing by the rules losing again.

The only optical device I own anymore is a Velocity Micro Vmultra that I upgraded to a SSD and Blu-ray drive. Connected via USB 3 it does not even need external power.

GamerNerves likes this.
  18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What?

19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Might be different with your friends but a lot of mine have moved away from the "living room TV". Excluding the gym, I don't watch TV at all anymore.

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Totally different here. TV's in every room apart from the bathroom.