Enable GSP or GPU System Processor?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NODO-GT, Jan 20, 2022.

1. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Hello, with new driver updates some laptop GPUs should be able to enable GSP or GPU System Processor.
    Anyone has already enabled it?

If GPU isn't officially in supported list, is it possible to modify compatible GPUs in driver installer to get this feature?

I'm on Alienware Laptop with RTX 3080 GPU, it should benefit from this update as power supply is only 230watt. Running with GSP should give much more power to GPU.

Attached Files:

2. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Ok, so to see if you have GSP enabled you should run this line in command prompt: nvidia-smi -q
    upload_2022-1-20_13-37-20.png

Currently my GSP is disabled as the current use of GSP firmware is "N/A"

Blackfyre likes this.
  3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    seems it needs BIOS flashing...

Caesar likes this.
  4. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I wonder what kind of performance increase this gives.

5. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's only available on Linux now for enterprise products. It will be coming to Max-Q laptops later this year, and I assume to Windows desktop, too.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  6. In-case anyone else is wondering what GSP is about, here's some convenient articles:

I wonder if there's a way to tell if a consumer desktop GPU physically has GSP? It won't be activated until NVIDIA does it in a future driver I suppose, but I'm curious if my GPU has it at all (RTX 3060)

7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Desktop VGAs are already running on their board power limits, so I wouldn't anticipate any benefits when paired with a fast CPU (not hitting their TDP, nor ~100 utilization). Those could even see a slight performance drop (unless board power limit is extended accordingly).

8. I'm on Fedora 35, and I can enable GSP for my RTX 3060 with driver 510.47.03. nvidia-smi confirms the firmware loaded, and I have an odd bug with it where the mouse cursor visibly stays at the top-left of the screen and never updates (but I can phantom-move it around the screen and still click things).

9. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Was going to say the same;)

10. elaganza

elaganza Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    what is GSP?

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Read the links Espionage724 posted and you will get the answer, some insight and understanding around what GSP is and what it is good for.

elaganza likes this.
  12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If I'm understanding the top tomshardware link correctly this isn't a feature on 2000 series RTX GPUs, but it will be for new 2022 laptops and "maybe" future desktop GPUs?

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It has been a feature since RTX 20 series, but has only been enabled for professional cards and probably also only get's enabled for professional cards in the future unless Nvidia has other plans.

14. NEP6XSBW

NEP6XSBW Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Same exact issue on my end, and I've seen others report the same thing.

This is probably one of several bugs they have to iron out before they add official support, but it's good to know that it is supported.