Resizable Bar?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hog54, Feb 22, 2021.

1. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Is it possible that going from a 9th gen 9900K CPU to a 10th gen 10900K CPU do i need to re flash the GPU bios again ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yes, definitively best practice to do a full BIOS reset after changing CPU's.
    Same as when flashing to a new BIOS version, on anything.

3. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Yes i used the clear cmos button on the back of the Motherboard
    I am afraid to flash the GPU bios again lots of topics about black screen after flash bios

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    No, GPU bios won’t need to be flashed again. There’s no relation between the two.

chinobino and FR4GGL3 like this.

5. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Ok but all settings in the mobo bios are good to use R-Bar but GPU-Z is showing not enabled in bios

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    There are not settings to be changed within the GPU bios. You could try to re-install the GPU drivers but, normally, you shouldn't have had to change anything.

7. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    No GPU-Z is telling to me the R-BAR is disabled in the motherboard bios.

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The contents of the GPU's flash ROM are permanent (same the motherboard firmware). Once you updated it, there is no going back without flashing an old ROM image with nvflash (which I assume you didn't apply). That flash chip is like an SSD (it preserves it's content even when the power is cut), not like a RAM module (which looses it's content when the power is cut). And it's sort-of protected from changes (you can only flash it with contents signed by nvidia, or the board will refuse to boot). The nVidia drivers (or Windows) won't write anything into your GPU's flash ROM (only special tools will change it's content, like the upgrade tool provided by nvidia - and then that' permanent).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    1. Do you have a driver installed that supports Resizable BAR? Perhaps Windows installed an older driver automatically. Run DDU in safe mode with the "Prevent Downloads..." box in the settings ticked, then reinstall the latest driver.

2. Does your video card have dual vBIOS and you only flashed one of them with Resizable BAR Support? If so, check if the card is set to boot from the vBIOS that has Resizable BAR enabled, otherwise use whichever means the card uses to change which vBIOS it boots from.

3. Does your new Mainboard have resizable BAR support enabled in the BIOS (You said it does, but I'll just add the possibility here in case anybody else comes looking)? If not, update it to a BIOS with Resizable BAR Support.
    If it does, try to physically clear the CMOS (to do this, shut off the PC, turn off the PSU or unplug the power, [carefully remove the CMOS battery if you don't have clear CMOS button or jumoer - you may still want to ], then press and hold the power button on the PC for ~30 second to discharge it fully. Reset the CMOS via jumper or button on the back (check the instructions in the manual of your mainboard), then [re-insert the CMOS battery here if you have pulled it] turn the power cord back in and turn the power supply on). Enter BIOS and enable Above 4G decoding and Resizable BAR, save and restart the computer.
    Note that you may have to run Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe mode and then reinstall a driver with Resizable BAR support to get it working at this point, too.

10. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Yes wil try clear the CMOS, The other things are ok.
    Using a Asus rog strix z590-e gaming latest bios in it and running a Asus tuf 3090 oc.

11. MMXMMX

MMXMMX Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 4090 OC
    Clear the CMOS did not help.
    When i install latest video driver i get a black screen during install install will not finish

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Didn't notice the GPU part in your question, no need to flash the card unless you ran into the DP specific issue and might have flashed it wrongly?

Can you install any other older drivers with success?

13. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm. Did you do a clean Windows install after upgrading your mainboard or did you just keep your installation from your old system or install over it to keep your files?

14. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Does anyone encounter subtle input lag with ReBAR on? Since switching it off, Doom Eternal's quick switching and responsiveness seems very fast and fluid.

iNerd likes this.
  15. luciano10rd

luciano10rd New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD 5850 1024MB
    Yes I do. Is this a bad practice? In fact, I have more than 3 platform changes (Intel-AMD-Intel) again.

16. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    i have strange issues with fortnite when running on dx12 with resize bar on. i go into the lobby and i can only "start" the game and not touch non a single menu or settings or change the tab. after the first game i can change settings and so on without an issue. BUT if i go into the lobby and only go to item shop or even wanna change for example from "solo" to team ... i starts to lag already in the lobby between 50 and these max lobby epic 120fps and in the game i'm going between 20 and 60.. otherwize i'm between 350 and 357 with a ftw3 3080ti and 5900x.

This is the only strange issue i have.

17. Cave Waverider

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    If you re-used or installed over an old Windows installation, it may have very well messed something up. It doesn't always happen, especially with newer versions of Windows, but it can happen and if you've done it three times already and went from intel to amd to intel like you said the odds are getting higher that something went wrong. It's definitely best practice to do a complete reinstall of Windows after such an upgrade. I myself have seen similar issues to yours before that were caused by keeping Windows after upgrading the mainboard, especially if going from one vendor to the other.

I suggest you make an image of your OS disk so you can go back to it in case it isn't the culprit, reformat the disk and do a clean installation of the latest version of Windows (you should be able to find an .iso file for the latest version on Microsoft's Website) and see if it helps.

18. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Probably not caused by rBAR. The game has (partially random) idiotic shader validation with DX12 which isn't multithreaded when in the menus, but still stalls rendering all the time. Should be fine after loading the game's BR map once after each start, as it then validates all already compiled shaders. This step btw. will also be single threaded when you turn off multi-threaded rendering in the game's options and then first load time will take forever (isn't that dumb).

But rBAR seems to increase VRAM consumption in this game, which is bad, because the game unnecessarily throws data out of VRAM all the time (stutter or slow down events) and it gets worse with every bit of additional consumption. So, unless you're playing with reduced details (which a lot of people do), I wouldn't force enable rBAR for that game via Inspector.

As for Doom Eternal, I haven't noticed any issue. The game always has crap input lag <80fps and would have needed Reflex badly.

19. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Does anyone know why Nvidia driver is no longer whitelisting new games as ReBAR compatible ?
    For example, recently I had to manually (using NvidiaInspector) enable ReBAR for Forza Horizon 5 and Dying Light 2.

20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Is there any toggle that would show a status while gaming?