God of War

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    o_O they must be using a purely screenspace lighting and shadow system instead of baking and casting precalculated shadows

Caching perhaps?
    I'd only be concerned if it does so to the point that pageout begins happening.

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm talking at the end of 3+ hour straight sessions, with reduced pop-in enabled. I'm not short on vram or ram, but it does affect how the game runs at the end of those long sessions. A quick restart and fps is 3-5 higher aswell.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Phazdelta: Interesting that Vulkan uses more wattage than DX11, but yes, there is definitely a performance difference.

Have any (2000+3000) Nvidia users got better performance with Vulkan vs DX11?

PhazDelta likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It does so because he is cpu limited with dx11... aka much lower gpu load... it will use the same amount of watt with either API at full load...

And no, nvidia users dont get better performance with vulkan - the reason he gets better performance with vulkan is because amd has alot of cpu overhead with dx11. Nvidia doesnt have that issue.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Stormyandcold likes this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It does seem baked, but im not sure what technique they are using. Regardless, makes perfect sense that they made it mostly gpu dependant, as the super weak cpu of ps4 would have suffered otherwise.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think amd gpus are still cpu limited due dx11 driver overhead. Ryzen 3600 didnt bottleneck any nvidia gpu while it did bottleneck most amd gpus. Gpu.ru test.

7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah - But my point was that "reduce pop-in" doesn't increase cpu load - only gpu :)

Undying likes this.
  8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That's hella funny. :D

9. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    C'mon, it's a game originally from a console with only 8gb of memory, of that only 5.5gb really available to games. 16gb should be plenty for this game...

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just got into a Tyr's temple and framerate just plummets. Had use an fsr to make it playable. I heard people are talking its the most demanding section of the game...

11. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    16GB RAM is still enough for gaming, only Flight Simulator benefits from more.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Borderlands 3 and CoD warzone and now God of War would disagree. Also i know its a silly statement but you cant even start something like star citizen without 32gb ram.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't know about Star Citizen, but Warzone and Borderlands 3 are fine with 16GB.

You only need more than 16GB if you're running apps in the background while playing.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Warzone leaks memory

Though it seems it requires certain conditions to be met.

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Warzone needs tons of VRAM for high textures. 12GB is not enough even for 1440P.

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

The "Out of Memory" error is different to the memory leak.

"Out of Memory" stops the game from even booting

That doesn't seem right, do you have the shadow cache settings on or off?

https://imgur.com/BFJjfwU
    https://imgur.com/AFlJ4ht
    https://imgur.com/vsDLi0Y

those are from a plunder while levelling guns, 3rd or 4th match. I know i'm right under the limit but I don't have any of the fps drops you'd get from running out of vram or any blurred textures etc

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just got the large lake area in the boat.... oh boy fps plummets from a locked 120fps (vsync'd) to 58-65fps in parts!!!!!

That area is a massive hog. Looking into the distance from any side of the map tanks GPU usage to 60% and CPU usage hits around 30% (CPU usage is normally around 15-20% for this game).

Here is a screenshot at a certain corner of the map, if you look into the centre of the map the fps plummets. The game is not culling distant obstructed objects correctly.

20220116172316_1.jpg

Toggling FSR to UQ does nothing, this is a CPU bottleneck (I have a 5900X too). The game simply doesn't cull objects that are not in view so in this screenshot you can't see much but the game is still drawing everything behind the rocks in front of me. Behind me is the edge of the map.

Also, the game has a massive memory leak with VRAM. I was upto 16.2GB VRAM usage and 13.2GB RAM usage. The game doesn't seem to flush GPU memory it seems.

PhazDelta and Undying like this.
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The cpu bottleneck issue is specific to amd gpu's though - Dx11 cpu overhead. You could probably gain alot from using the vulkan workaround posted in this thread.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Maybe the new map doesn't suffer from it, but Verdansk definitely did.

Party Poison likes this.
  20. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC

Same problem with DX11 just use DXVK you can hold 60fps most of time the game need to be fixed i stopped playing it

cucaulay malkin likes this.