so is directx 12 ultimate only for next gen gpu's?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Shabaco, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    i take it, none of the features will be made available to older cards? only rtx / rdna right?

i can't find anything about support for say gtx 10 series cards etc. no chance of emulation or a wrapper or something? or does one just have to save for a new gpu if they want dx12 u?

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    rtx20,30/rdna2 to be precise
    rdna1 lacks all these
    gtx16 lacks ray tracing but has the other stuff

[​IMG]

TheDigitalJedi and Xtreme512 like this.
  3. Shabaco

Shabaco Guest

GPU:
    -
    figured. time to save.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  4. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yeah you're only getting these with a new card.
    mesh shaders are supposed to be a game changer.

5. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    this should have been called directX 13 honestly, but i guess they wanted to cover the failure dx12 was, all the promises they've made with dx12 never came to fruition, no less cpu usage, no more performance with less resources, and in top of all, not compatible with any of the new DX12U stuff, DX12 has just some limited compatibility, just like some dx10.1 specific features are compatible with some other dx 11 features. DX 12 was practically DX10.1 all over again. Because let's be real, DX12 without all the new features listed above, is just a glorified DX11.

If i said something wrong sorry about that, and sorry about the rant, But this post reminded me of the time i spent on AMD cards with the copium of having better DX12 support and performance, thinking it will be something better in the future, but in the end, i just ended like every other pre-20x and pre rdna series anyways, and in the top of that the 10x series even got some raytracing support at least.

No wonder why nvidia didn't cared to outperform amd in dx12 pre 20x, but my current 2080 S, is devastasting my old vega 64 even with that custom bios that underclocks.

So yeah, DX12 ultimate or DX12 for real this time, is going to slap, so you need a new gpu if you want new features.

AQUILES, TheDigitalJedi and Krizby like this.
  6. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    You need it for Directstorage right?If it does what they say it does I'm hoping its gonna be the next big thing after DLSS.(No more asset load stutters/less cpu usage from what I understand)

Xtreme512 and Cave Waverider like this.
  7. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    cause thier dx11 driver was performing very well,as good or better than amd in dx12.and with the slow dx12 adoption rate they just couldn't care less.

AQUILES likes this.
  8. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Yep, thats is why im buying nvidia gpu's from now on, i see they know what they are doing, the previous dx12 fight between red and green on the pre-20x and rdna2 era was the most useless and pointless fight even and just a scam from amd to sell already obsolete gpu only because they had a few frames more on an already dead API.

@kman

Yeah with that feature finally dx12 ultimate is fullfilling the promises regular dx12 made, less cpu usage, less sttutter, more performance with less gpu resources.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    AQUILES likes this.
  9. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I really hope its easy to implement like dlss or else I don't think we're gonna see many devs implement it.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  10. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I'm looking forward to testing these new features and hope they truly make a difference. DLSS was a game changer and a winner for the most part. Resolution scaling is awesome when it's done well.

Less stutter and more performance while maintaining outstanding visuals. I'm all about that.

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Man, things change so quick. It seems like only 1yr to 18months ago people were saying Ray Tracing wouldn't catch on. I was pretty adamant it would especially after it was announced that the next-gen consoles would indeed have it. RT has become standard in such a short time and on PC is just another graphics option.

Moving forward, it'll all be about optimization. For me, the next step is whether RT will end-up phasing out traditional lighting, or will they implement it and integrate it more with rasterization to continue the hybrid rendering. Right now, it's looking like the later. The later is also easier to implement on consoles, where they probably don't have the power to go full RT.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Full RT in AAA releases won't happen for another 10 or so years, not until the next console gen at the very least.

13. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Now if only direct storage could take over just as easily.Would most likely fix or allievate the other big issue alot of PC games have such as asset loading stutters/Asset loading fps issues.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I thought Metro Exodus Enhanced already did the full RT thing and it does it for both PC and next-gen consoles? Unless we don't count it as AAA? If we do, then, I'm pretty sure we've already gone past that milestone.

I mean, I'm not against moving the goal posts here and separating current gaming RT with Movie-quality RT if that's what we're talking about. GRT vs MQRT perhaps?

The current trend I'm seeing is RT backported for old AAA PC games. A lot of this work is coming from modders right now.

While they're at it, fix the stutters when auto-saving would be nice, I really hate that.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    cucaulay malkin likes this.
  15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GI only and some reflections on PC. Far from "full RT".

16. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Who cares how it is advertised.
    The only two fully raytraced titles on the market right now are Q2RTX and Minecraft RTX.
    And you can see all the sacrifices which were needed to make even these graphically simple games render with PT.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

I can not even take you serious.

19. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    thanks for letting me know

20. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I agree with DR_RUS only because something is advertised as "X" o "Y" just on the title, it doesn't mean it's fully capable of doing that, read the entire article for example it says on one part that "The PC Enhanced Edition will offer additional Ray Tracing features" the keyword being additional, it just have some extra features the original didn't have and now are just compatible only with newer gpu, but not really fully and completely raytraced (also doesn't mean they are not cool or look great, it still the most beautiful looking game).

Using another but way different example of overmarketing, i remember the 980ti being marketed as a 4K gpu years ago, Nvidia's new flagship GTX 980 Ti card is all about 4K and VR gaming - The Verge even by the own nvidia GEFORCE GTX 900 SERIES GRAPHICS CARDS (nvidia.com) "featuring unbeatable 4K performance", but reality was in only in some titles and barealy reaching stable fps and in the titles of those years.

Also Cyberpunk 2077 was marketed as something way different as what we have today, most of the these big companies, no matter how humble their beginnings where, now they will lie to make sure you buy everything from them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    lukas_1987_dion likes this.