Intel has solved all DRM issues for its 12th generation Core Alder Lake CPUs.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Why_Me likes this.
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Is it really fixed though? I can only imagine the non popular, non AAA games that have never been tested. Who knows if only Denuvo is affected until someone with one of those CPUs tries to play some old game with some asinine DRM scheme.

3. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    As much as I personally disdain the BIG.little scheme for desktop processors (I'd rather have real cores + typical 2-threads-per-core scheduling as it's the rule vs exception now), there's more issue running DRM routines for games on newer OS's than there was running them on 12th generation intel processors with the P-core/E-core setups.
    That aside, I suppose if there's still an issue you could just shut them off in BIOS if it was required ever.

Personally, I think I'll sit this generation out (already have a R9 3950x CPU), I've got no need to upgrade for quite a few years any-who at-least until the per-core speed of this processor holds back the future GPU's too much (currently what I run is very CPU-demanding and system ram + VRAM heavy not so much GPU power itself, so an upgrade is years off).
    Hopefully when it comes time to upgrade, there's no issue or this BIG.little design gets relegated to the dust-bin. A 7nm CPU doesn't really need to worry much about power use beyond what it already is equipped to do in a desktop configuration for the most part - though laptops and other portables are a different story when on the go.

At-least there's currently some other options available for those who do worry about this.

4. hawk7000

hawk7000 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    Intel were pretty realistic about it in their own statement, only claiming that "all games originally identified as having this DRM issue have been fixed through game patches or OS updates".
    (As opposed to the more spectacular claim in the headline of this article.)

I'd say it's plausible that there could be some additional problems that have been overlooked so far, as you were suggesting. That said, the known problems are fixed, which is probably all we can ask for...

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Same here. Aside from potentially building a new PC just for Audio Production, my 3600XT does everything I need it to without issue. Whether that's for gaming or for audio production. (And if there are problems with my DAW there are plenty of ways to work around it. And I can always add more RAM. And then any problem I have is nothing compared to back in the day when I used a Pentium 4 based PC to work on stuff hah)

I personally want a new GPU so I can gift my 2080 to my older brother who lives on a fixed income...that and selfishly W7 support ends with the 3080/ti/90 and i'm not ready to convert to a single boot system yet (That, and I have so many pieces of audio software that reinstalling and reauthenticating them all on my Windows 10 drive is extremely tedious lol). I am mostly ok with Windows 10 but 11 seems like a train wreck. With the improvements to things like Proton and DXVK and Steam Deck, Linux might be next. (Esp since my DAW supports LInux natively)