NoVideo sRGB: color calibration on drivers' level

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Terepin, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    emrcaca, EDK-Rise, enkoo1 and 3 others like this.
  2. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    excellent, my dell s2721dgf are so oversaturated, no cares what config i do, finally i can fix this

3. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    it would be interesting to know why some of us can't seem to get dithering to work.
    My screen can do 10bit frc, but it does bring a performance penalty.
    novideo_srgb should be nearly costless, but I can't seem to get dithering to work, no matter the options I choose.

quoting user hemla and my posts from other thread:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Wait, what? How can setting your screen in 10bpc affect your performance?

5. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    exactly, i´m changed my asus vg279q 8bit panel and full hd to dell s2721dgf 10bit panel and 2k, and when i run in full hd resolution i have the exactly same performance and fps like my old monitor

6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It doesn't. Probably games are still in 8 bit frame buffer anyway with SDR unless you force them into 10 bit via ReShade (but that doesn't cost performance either).
    As I stated in the other thread, there seems to be some weird misunderstanding of what is supposed to happen with dithering. It is perfectly to be expected that nothing visually really changes when not looking at gradients...

7. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Driver dithering works as advertised on my Dell U2515H powered by 1080Ti, using custom ICC profile from TFTCentral. It perfectly complements madVR's own dithering and anti-banding capabilities to produce pretty much the best picture/video quality for this display.

8. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    Purely based on visual impression when running a game, as I usually don't measure fps but again, probably just impression.
    Good to know, as setting 10bit on my monitor greatly improves banding in games where it's usually visible.

9. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Placebo danger much. Typical 8 bit banding (without additional introduced via color processing) is very harmless vs. banding that is baked into content by compression or bad math formats.

dr_rus likes this.
  10. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    It's actually pretty noticeable on my monitor. Sitautions where banding is evident, both desktop and 3D (not many, I admit) clearly improve when I enable 10bit in Nvidia CP.

11. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Then I suppose you have color conversion via GPU gamma ramps active (e.g. your ICC profile you mentioned in the other thread).

12. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    10 bit color does use more resources, and implies a performance penalty(in games that actually use it).

13. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    no, and this test compares hdr, its a different things

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  14. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    I actually created that ICC profile only two days ago when I started experimenting with novideo_srgb.
    Before that, I was using the ICM profile that came with my monitor, but I suppose it's all the same in terms of color conversion.
    At this point I'm quite confused also in regard to NVCP which allows for different color modes. I'm referring specifically to Accurate and Reference.
    As I said, variables involved are many. It becomes difficult to do casual testing.

15. jonaand

jonaand Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    how work this program, i select refresh but nothing happen

16. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    just one click, like here

Mineria and aufkrawall2 like this.
  17. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    ok.. so apart from dithering which almost always up to the monitor panel quality and content creator's talent (some games have banding etc.), then again you can always use additional dither to fix with reshade or mess with nvidia's hidden settings, still do not recommend either way.
    for color space confusion here, why don't you use the custom color modes on your monitor to fix this? it is always better to make adjustments on the hardware, do not use icc either as its mostly ignored on games and other software.
    I use "racing mode" (which is the closest custom mode to ref. on asus) on my vg27wq and adjusted the monitor to give accurate results. you can always take reference points on monitor review sites and continue from there.

that's for rgb content, I still didn't come across wide color gamut content on sdr (that one Alien game maybe). or maybe if you are into photography.. but then you most definitely would have a calibrator as its crucial.

18. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    well i´m have the dell s2721dgf by one week, and i tryed but don´t fix que colours just by colour settings in my monitor, because obviously he don´t have srgb mode and almost all games uses srgb, i can made adjustments fine to one game but in another looks weird, with srgb mode emulated its fine and eliminates oversaturation

i tried icc profiles like rtings and standard by dell (my driver give me one) and both are a disaster, worst than my custom adjustments, maybe because my monitor revision is different (my model are 3 revisions more newer than rtings model and dell driver and icc is dated by release date with same revision used by rtings)

19. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    This would have been such a great feature some 10 years ago when most displays lacked the internal processing to emulate sRGB.

20. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    They still do and it's actually more important than ever with wide gamut displays.