NVIDIA GeForce 497.29 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Just noticed that Edge Canary got a new flag called "Boost screen refresh rate when scrolling" which seems to utilize VRR, not quite sure if this affects anything but notebooks.
    Anyone with YouTube scrolling issues tried to install the new build and see if it fixes just that?

2. ThirtyIR

ThirtyIR Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti FE SLI
    I'm getting random ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT errors in GTA V on a brand new Z690 system with a fresh Windows 11 Pro install and GTA V install. The same set of mods etc. work perfectly well on my other rigs so something seems to be off.

I also just got a DirectX_Removed error in BF4 which is very strange since that game has been perfectly stable for me for several years now.

I'm wondering if it's this driver.

Any ideas?

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Only when using GFE Game filter, any Filter & game just crashing, besides that FH5 is rock solid stable on my RIG.
    NP without tho, also Using Enchanced AA with Supersampling x2 (4xAA in game) game runs well.

Note:
    To avoid this issue and get the filters (i found the way), run Game without, then set it when launched, Turn OFF (Delete! Filter) before closing game
    -> NP at all :cool: (BTW, GFE will remember settings even when Filter is deleted).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, blame the drivers before you even look at the stability of your new hardware. :rolleyes:

both games are memory stability sensitive, and guess what z690 is rife with right now.....

Archvile82 and Cave Waverider like this.

5. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You responded the issue yourself when you said "Windows 11".

PPC likes this.
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Both games run fine on Windows 11, so nopes.
    Some z690 boards got more issues than others, most seem to related to wrong XMP (can set frequency, timings and voltage manually instead), seems Asus also recalled some Z690 Hero boards recently.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  7. Blanky

Blanky Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPERXTrio
    @ManuelG
    Sorry for asking this, but this is the most tormenting thing if you are a PC gamer, are you ever going to fix stuttering in 99% of games? It is usually blamed on the developers, but why in this last year everything has gotten worse? Playing old games is very unplayable when they were playable video games back in the day.
    Will this ever be solved before 2030? Will they change the method or do like the consoles do?

PD1: I'm sorry for asking this, it's about time that Nvidia wises up and they are not so incompetent and give us quality performance like in the old days.

PD2: I hope you don't mind my comment always from the respect, I would like you to say what is happening and when it will be solved, I know you will not answer because of this issue is running away it is easier to blame our hardware that a year ago was going well and today is a disaster. (Sorry my bad english).

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there is something wrong with your system if you get 1 non stuttering game out of 100.

dr_rus, Smough and PPC like this.
  9. Blanky

Blanky Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPERXTrio
    You're lucky then, because I'm not the only one if you read the forums, more and more problems with each update, my system is identical to 1 year ago, same settings, no overclocks or strange things, I knew the easy answer was the one you put me, but as I say I'm not the only one.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    1. Does reverting back to a driver released before this last year solve the issue?
    2. If not, what else got installed and changed within that year? Including Windows and app updates.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    your group is small but vocal.

OnnA, PPC and big ROBOT bill like this.
  12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    What games?Alot of games have crap engines which are known to cause stutter/micro stuttering.(Unity/unreal) and sometimes you can't avoid it if the game has ingame UI constantly popping up.

Also don't trust ppl who say "smooth as butter" The majority of ppl playing games don't know wtf they're talking about as in they have a distorted view of whats acceptable.For example alot of ppl are willing to overlook minor frametime spikes ingame while someone sensitive to them will instantly notice.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/rk4gip/alex_battaglia_from_digital_foundry_explains_why/

Also as to why old games run bad these days?Maybe old engines freak out with current gen PC's because we have more cores or some other variable we didn't have on older rig.I've noticed similar issues with some older games on my current 3080/9900k where my old 1080ti/4790k/ddr3 memory rig from 5 years ago had no issues.

Generally if there's nothing wierd going on with your system like different kind of rams being used (seen it happen) and temps are fine and cpu clocks are fixed then its either a gpu driver/game issue and in some rare cases its w10 itself.I've had some games become smoother by simply disabling CFG.(An exploit protection)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Smough and drewho like this.
  13. FR4GGL3

FR4GGL3 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Often old games have old DX Engines which aren't supported by Windows anymore - or in a strange fallback mode. If you have DX9 (or lower DX-Games) it is always worth it to give a wrapper like DGVoodoo2 a try. I have to do this on Comanche Gold, Emperor - Battle for Dune, even in UT2K4.

There might also be issues with too many cores, but that isn't that common as DX issues. But there are examples like X-Wing Alliance.

Archvile82 likes this.
  14. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I'll second this, rust was crashing on load on my Asus z690 system. I removed 2 out of the 4 memory modules and I was then able to use xmp profile and rust played with no problems at all, no blue screens or crashes since.

Regarding stuttering, i find this is a problem in games that have poor memory management or source ports that are being pushed beyond what they were supposed to do, like Heretic HD on gzdoom, stutter at certain sectors or sound related.

15. Blanky

Blanky Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPERXTrio
    Thank you all for answering me without being offended because it was never my intention, it is very frustrating to have micro-stuttering, in my case I am playing Sekiro trying to do a no-hit run in which you cannot fail, a game that requires a response and precision of a surgeon in the parrys, you have 0.2 seconds to get it right, and if I caught you in a micro-stutter you are doomed because the input does not enter and you failed the parry and start again, believe me it takes you out of the total game experience, in Christmas 2020 I played this game and It was perfect, today I don't have that gameplay that I had in the past, and the only thing I've been doing is updating drivers, the latest version of Windows 10, everything as usual. It is playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and more of the same when it reproduced it perfectly.

@kman With your explanation is the one with which I identify a lot, I notice moving the camera and it jumps and it is not smooth at all, there are people who do not appreciate that, I even notice a micro-stutter that is not reflected in the Rtss osd or I'm even really sorry for what you explained, I'm not saying that everything is a problem with Nvidia, from the implementations of HAGS, MPO, my PC has not been the same again, I am afraid to try the NIS thing by reading opinions of errors and degradation using native resolution.

@Mineria the 2 points you tell me I try to keep up to date, I totally stay away from any YouTube tweak and strange things, I learned that in this forum with you, even with @Astyanax I have learned a lot although you have to know how to understand it.

I am sorry and I apologize I did not intend to raise controversy, always from the respect and affection that reading them gives, I am quite desperate I think my pc can do more than what I get with a ryzen 3700X, RTX 2070 Super, 16gb Ram 3200Mhz cl14, in 2 ssd m.2 nvme of 1000gb, it is not the best pc in the world but it should defend itself with Sekiro, Dark Soul 3, Red Dead Redemption 2, Euro Truck simulator 2, Forza 5, Assassins Creed Valhalla, they are the ones that I have recently played these last months and The experience was disastrous, I don't know what else to do, forgive my negating post, I apologize, I just wanted to ask @ManuelG desperately, I'm really sorry.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    New consoles means that there are more platforms to support and thus less resources dedicated to each. This happens at each new console generation launch - PC versions from that period are always subpar.

Old games work exactly as they did back in the day.

They can't "do like the consoles do" because PCs don't have fixed h/w. As for being solved the devs will have to learn to solve this eventually because otherwise it will make their games on PC unplayable.

These games have absolutely nothing in common between them (and about half of them don't suffer from any stuttering). If all of them show the same issue on your system then it's your system which is at fault here.

JAMVA likes this.
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    New driver this week?

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GoW GRD.

19. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Gears of War, right? :p

Just kidding, I know you mean God of War. Can't believe all these Playstation exclusives are coming to pc now, I got a PS4 for these and now they all come to PC, apart from Spider-Man (for now).

OnnA likes this.
  20. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    Few thing you could do (I'm sure you've tried) is disabling everything under the gaming section in the windows settings (HAGS included under display settings) all useless settings that cause more issues then they're worth.
    I also mentioned Control flow guard which is an exploit protection known to mess with some games.If this is a strictly gaming rig either disable it globally or per game bases. (Either way if you're just gaming there is no risk of anything)
    If you're using Geforce experience you might aswell ditch that garbage and disable ansel too.As in how to disable ansel in standard drivers the ansel settings.exe came with the driver but standard drivers are a thing of the past now and Nvidia decided to make it more annoying to turn it off by having you download the setting.exe for it from another site.(Thanks Nvidia)
    Does anyone have the link for the ansel settings link?I'm sure someone here has it bookmarked.