Consumers are reporting that their ROG Maximus Z690 Hero is malfunctioning.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Where is that guy that said it's just reddit gossip lol

DanielRX likes this.
  3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Quote: related to an integrated circuit powering the RAM memory burning and, in some cases, catching fire for a few seconds.
    LOL. :p
    Blame it on the JUICE.

Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7900GX2 GTX DUOs in Quad SLi
    Maybe a stretch in the oven would fix it then.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Buildzoid has a theory that some caps were soldered backwards. He posted a video about it.

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    RAM manufacturers are flashing fake SPD info on rams...within XMP profiles

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Expand your theory please

Caesar likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    RAM's SPD data is a set of configuration parameters stored in a small EEPROM chip that the BIOS reads at startup.

It can be modified dump/flashing, by using SPDTool but on older mobos....but some manufacturers has their own "toolkit" to change these info and at the same time they are not complying with regulations.

Source:
    Towards the Avoidance of Counterfeit Memory:
    Identifying the DRAM Origin
    B. M. S. Bahar Talukder, Vineetha Menony, Biswajit Rayx, Tempestt Nealz, and Md Tauhidur Rahman

@kapu : PLEASE feel free to ask more questions:)

9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    So some ddr5 modles now are being faked? Like 4000 mem branded as 5000 ?

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't know, but doesn't that feel like that using of not the best components in building graphics cards' boards, which came up with New World and 3090s?
    As in, manufacturers going cheap, or having to buy those inferior components because of shortages?

CrazY_Milojko and Caesar like this.

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I know why new world blew up 3090s I almost had the same happen to me with forza horizon 5 I had in approximate order :
    - screen going dark with the pc still going on behind, I could hear the game sound and my actions having an effect but no picture
    - screen going dark but crashing the pc
    - one day in forza horizon 5 in the "benchmarking mode" where the game automatically settings->2d load screen->benchmark->2d load screen->2d results screen which skyrocketed to 1200fps
    - screen went dark but crashed the pc ULTRA HARDCORE like power off completely, psu tripping and unable to start again + horrible burnt electronic smell coming from the area near the pcie power connectors (only 2 on my galax/kfa2 350w limited card)
    I was certain my card was dead, the smell was really strong, I'm an electronician and burnt an athlon back in the days I know that smell ><

I had to disassemble the water block and use buildzoid video where he shows how to test the power circuits on a 3090...mine wasn't fried at least not visibly or electrically
    but it did "burn" the inductors (a small wire loop) they clearly overheated the smell was coming from the ones..powering the gpu die >< (again thx buildzoid for the detailed explanation)

once the card was tested, reassembled, powered by a second external PSU just in case I benchmarked it 2 days...didn't seem to have a problem I even tried a "grey" 390w bios worked fine
    so I fired up forza horizon 5 but this time logging the 12V current and power and you can see what the problem or source of the problem is
    the current power draw in that "high fps 2d menu" is insanely high...way above max details+RT gaming, see below

the small stable part on the right around 30A that's actual gameplay 1080p all quality settings sliders to the max with max RT @130+fps
    the wild spikes and crazy high current/power that's the benchmarking mode and the massive spikes correspond to the loading and result screens...+20A/240W for freaking 2d screens :mad:
    right now with opera open and not much else, I hover around 8A on the 12V so let's say actual gaming adds 22A, those menus reaching 1000fps with vsync unchecked draw double the power than actual max quality gaming with raytracing
    FH5_12vcurrentusage_benchmarkmode.jpg
    I'm no builzoid but if I understood his videos right, the card protections are set so high by nvidia to allow such temporary spikes that they aren't really protected in the end

p.s. those current spikes will 100% trip you PSU if set in multi-rail OCP as they often are around 28A max and in this case here the gpu alone draws more than that, I had to set it to single rail OCP to make that screenshot

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    "Timing" parameters of the DRAM module are specified into SPD data.

13. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Not sure how fake SDP theory work with the following fact.... but my friend burned his z690 hero after 3hours and he never activated his xmp profile... this means it burned with nominal ddr5 values....

Airbud and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    so some motherboards are not Hero but they are Villain !

Keitosha, Maddness, Airbud and 3 others like this.

16. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Yeah...not necessarily XMP profiles needs to be activated...

Q-Code 53: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043948/

Code 50-53 for the Asus Z690 Hero indicates that memory initialization has failed.

CHEAP COMPONENTS being used....

....that's why i always stay with PREMIUM MSI products:rolleyes:;)

17. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Hopefully there is a small batch of boards that are affected by this. Asus needs to issue a public statement asking customers to stop using the boards till they can figure out how many boards are affected. They also need to pull the remaining boards from the market; could become a full recall situation. At this point they are legal responsible for any damages caused by the issue. A small fire on the board does not necessarily mean it will stay contained to the board; we have all seen how dusty/dirty some cases can be. Not everyone does a nice cleaning before putting in new hardware as they are stoked to have new hardware to test. If it is a capacitor issue causing this, they can burn in excess of 2200 degrees at the flash point and can spew off burning electrolytic compound. It may only burn for a few seconds, but a lot can happen in those seconds.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  18. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I wonder if that's the reason the z690 glacial are nowhere in stock here when all the other asus models are, mine has been pushed twice and I ended up cancelling it for a regular extreme

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    By the time cutting edge tech products are made safe, they arent cutting edge any longer!
    Seems to be the new norm.

Undying likes this.
  20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm not getting an ASUS board next time. My past 2 ASUS boards have died way before they should, within 2 years of new. My friend's X99 (OK a lot older) also just packed up.

I used to think ASUS was the best of the best and wouldn't look anywhere else. Not anymore.