RTx 3090 FE Gpu and Hotspot delta temps

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CoMa666, Dec 10, 2021.

1. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Hi to all, i used thermal putty for my memory and i go superb temps in core memory and hot spot, the bad thing i see is the delta by hot spot and gpu core increase oer time, now seems stable at 13°C fir week was 11.
    It's this normal? how i can resolve it?

2. Eren

Eren Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Hello

For the 3090 Ideal differences between Gpu <> Hotspot is +11-12C.
    Great is +15C.
    Good-Normal +17-22C.
    But 30C differencies tell that cooler contact is pretty bad.
    otherwise clean the GPU correctly and apply the thermal paste again correctly

3. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Hi, thanks for the help, but the problem is this value go up overtime, it's that the problem

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Part of the core isnt being cooled as well as it was.
    Perhaps your thermal putty has expanded and forced the heatsink to sit at an angle on the GPU reducing contact in one area.

My card had a hotspot delta of 23C so decided to fix it.
    After taking it apart and changing the paste my hotspot dropped to 10C, part of the core was bare of paste!
    The same thermal pads were kept to prevent other issues and cooled the memory better with a heatsink on the backplate instead.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/3090-owners-thread.434369/page-47#post-5932601
    Temps have remained good for 4.5 months now.

5. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    thermal putty is not the problem, i think the problem is the paste and the bad contact because the core is convex, whta paste have u used?
    The card is very heavy, i mean in time this can be a problem because core is attached to heatsink with 4 screws.
    What you did?

6. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    I have read your topic, but ican't understand very well what you did, i'm not native english.
    You suggest to use thermal pads instead putty?
    My delta stay at around 13°C now, seems don't move.
    I have rtx 3090 FE and i dunno how to change the bad contact, i have many thermal pastes what i need is the more viscosity?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not telling you what will fix it, only what I did, and I dont have the problem you do after keeping the original thermal pads.
    I dont know what the problem is exactly, only you can find out, if you are still unhappy with it.

In the thread I posted, look underneath the first image, the paste I use is discussed.
    Its very thick.

In case you missed hearing about this:
    The memory modules are very thin and are held up by their solder joints.
    The centre of them is not supported so too much pressure can cause a crack.
    Bear this in mind if you choose new pads, too dense/thick a pad can cause memory modules to break when it is screwed together.

8. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Very thanks for the help, i think the problem is like you said is the thermal paste, i have syy-157, TFX, and many more, i think the best is the more thick and the one with hot temperature will stay in is original form, i find the thermal putty very good for pressure, i just need to understand how to put the paste for not have degradation overtime.
    Do you a very good thick paste?

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I used TFX, its thicker than Gelid Xtreme and thats pretty thick.
    I applied it very thinly.

edit
    my bad, I used Thermagic ZF-Extreme, not TFX.
    I hear they are the same though.

10. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    hermagic ZF-Extreme i can't find it in europe... unlucky, very thanks man really!

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I remember a guy here "Jura11" said it appears to be the same paste as TFX in how it looks, the texture and performance.
    He has both.

I got mine on Ebay but they dont have any more unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  12. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    ok, i have thge SYY 157 too

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Try applying several layers of 3M high temp polyimide (kapton) tape directly on the PCB where the X-bracket leaf spring "black" section contacts the PCB (not the screw holes, but the central square area). Apply it on the PCB, not on the x-bracket. Do a few (or maybe more than a few) layers in a full square right where the X bracket's inner area contacts the PCB. I don't know how many strips you would need and I just thought of this idea a few days ago and am too busy to even bother, but I suspect this will help your problem. This is just a guess, though. By increasing the amount of material that the X bracket's middle ring section has to compress down, this should in theory help increase contact pressure. This is the same idea as what the washer mod does on some Radeon video cards to increase the pressure their X bracket applies, by compressing the springs down more.

I would guess that about 0.2mm of 'extra' material thickness would do the job. The only question is how many layers of stacked Kapton tape would you need to create enough thickness resistance for this. Kapton tape is very thin to begin with.

14. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Very thanks man, really, can you please give me some pics?
    I asked because i can't udnerstand so good, i'm italian.
    you mean i need a tape under the black of the sauqre and so increase the pressure of the heatsink on die?

15. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    I made it very clear to you that I HAVE NOT DONE THIS.

I was only THINKING about it. (this is known as THEORY CRAFTING).

Because Kapton tape is a very durable tape that is used as a solder mask. I'm sorry if you have problems with English, but it's not my responsibility to work through every word with you (I am VERY busy working and studying every day, I don't have time to do any computer stuff).

16. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Ok man thanks for your help.