Ubisoft announced a remake of Splinter Cell, rebuilt from the ground up utilizing the Snowdrop Engine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Night Hope

Night Hope Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    one of the best game ever

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder how comprehensive the remake would be. If its just the graphics engine, I wont be very interested. Games from 20 years ago need complete overhauls, incl gameplay mechanics, smarter dialogue, improved more convincing characters, etc.

4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    remade by a 3rd party probably underpaid "throwable under the bus" studio I think so I have zero interest and won't follow it
    if it turns out to be good we will all know but most likely it'll be all over the "bad news" channels

SamuelL421 and GSDragoon like this.

5. Spider4423

Spider4423 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4080
    So sad... instead of new games with new stories we keep getting remakes after remakes.

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I've played them all every splinter Cell Game this could be fun if they do it correctly!
    Michael Ironside in it this time or will they just re-use old audio from 1st game? They need to listen to the fans if you ask me cause that's how you keep a series going without killing it.

Looking forward to this 100%!

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe this will be the time to play my first Splinter Cell game.

anticupidon likes this.
  8. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Ohhh, will i be allowed to spend hundreds on a magazine of NFT bullets (each one inscribed with a unique serial number ofc)?????

Because i aint interested if not

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would rather have a remaster than an out-of-touch sequel. In either case, I'm not buying it.

10. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    So sad, indeed.

But I'd rather buy a good remake of an old game than a re-re-re-release of an exact same game. *cough-cough-skyrim-gtav-cough*

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    All this new technology allowing for such crazy ideas to come to life like never before. And they just keep remaking old games with the technology. The gaming industry is the new hollywood.

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Quietly hopeful, even more so if they can get that utter legend Ironside back and then I remember that SC is one of Ubisoft's games, oh well shame!

13. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    I been mulling over playing this splinter cell game for almost 20 years on/off and lately almost started it,same with blacklist been sitting in the game launcher for years,managed to play the first 1/2 hour of blacklist. Anyway good time to wait for the remake of splinter cell as an excuse this time.

14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    really interested in how they'll make grinding for new boots work in this one.

15. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    they will probably change the main character to a black or mixed race woman.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    That will be so Netflix-esque of them, wouldn't it not?

17. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    On the one hand, I get people being disappointed they aren't getting a new sequel/reimaging of a classic title they loved. But that concept only works if the developer delivers a game that is as good or better (relative to the time) as the original. When we talk about our favorite classic games, they were usually highly rated at the time. So suggesting people either need to make amazing game, or don't bother...that's a tough decision to make at the beginning of a project.

Playing through the Demon's Souls remake for PS5 was a pretty amazing experience for me. It was great to see modern, good looking visuals on an experience I spent hundreds of hours with in the past. Getting back into it with the remake had me smiling and enjoying the game for plenty of hours. If other Developers can follow their example and remake classics with that level of polish and beauty, I'm all for it.

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    They could at least do the whole original trilogy and release it as a collection like Halo MCC.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ubi recognize there is a strong following for SC, but its not big enough for them to invest in a full blown new game. That would require too much capital and the ROI would never match its other big franchises (Assassins Creed, Far Cry). So they have to cheap out with remakes for SC.

20. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    "Hey, that would never happen to a beloved classic title!"

*Remembers Warcraft 3 Reforged...*

"Uh oh."