Do Turing RTX 2000 Series GPU Have Issues With the Newer NVidia Drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by solarus84, Dec 14, 2021.

1. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I have been reading here that people have had issues with Pascal GPUs with the newer waves of drivers optimized for the Ampere (RTX 3000 GPU series) meaning drivers from September/October 2020 till now, does anyone know if using newer drivers such as this one:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/180551/en-us

Also causes issues on Turing (RTX 2000 GPU series)? Such as stuttering? Black screen? Loss of performance while gaming? Drivers crashes? etc

Just want to figure out if for an RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 if it was better to use the most up to date driver of if it was it better to use a driver from 2019 or 2020 such as this one:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/158175/en-us

Also the RTX 3000 GPU series drivers had a change made to them in the power management settings, before it used to be "Optimal", "Adaptive" and "Prefer Maximum Performance" but with the newer drivers released about a year ago for this series this was changed to "Normal" and "Prefer Maximum Performance" and I was wondering, does this change also carries over to the RTX 2000 series newer drivers or it just affects the RTX 3000 series?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  2. Hwistler

Hwistler Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    Don't overthink this and just go with the latest driver.

Most of the problems you may stumble upon here are either extreme fringe cases, completely imagined (see the post about someone feeling more insecure in Valorant on a fresh driver), or due to something else entirely in the system unrelated to the GPU. If you're a normal PC user with an up-to-date OS, in 99.9% of all cases, it's best to stay on the latest driver, and definitely not on something from two years ago. Personally, I've been using my 2070 Super with the latest drivers for 1.5 years now and never ever had a single problem that wasn't confirmed by NVIDIA themselves. Same for the other PC in my family and everyone else I know who uses the same GPU series.

solarus84 and FadeX like this.
  3. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Thanks for the fast reply, thing iis t's for a Windows 7 64-bit PC though, it's an older PC that I am replacing the GPU.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I have a 2080 in my PC, most of my gaming is primarily done on my Windows 7 boot drive. (For older games) Currently on 466.63 and have zero issues.
    Don't have any issues when I play games on Windows 10 that don't stem from the OS itself.

solarus84 likes this.

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    RTX 2070 Super
    Windows 11 (always updated)
    nVidia Driver (always updated to the latest)

Games still perform the same, if not better than when I first got the card. I have personally never had any major issues with drivers or with an operating system (which I always keep both updated).

solarus84 likes this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I get more issues with 10 series and latest than 20 series.

solarus84 likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    2080 here on Windows 10. Latest drivers. No issues.

solarus84 likes this.
  8. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Cool thanks, however it appears that Nvidia pulled that particular driver version from their list of drivers for some reason, I only see 466.47 and 466.77.

Yeah I saw your post here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...oad-and-discussion.435609/page-8#post-5864441

So I am guessing the post-ampere launch drivers negatively affect the GTX 1000 series more than they do the RTX 2000 series?

Thanks.

9. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I had a question though for those who have an RTX 20 series and one of the latest driver, in the 3D Settings Power Management Mode, does it say "normal" and "prefer maximum performance" or does it say "Optimal", "Adaptive" and "prefer maximum performance"?

For example this is how it looks like on RTX 30 series latest drivers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this how it looks like on RTX 20 series latest drivers too?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it should show optimal, adaptive and prefer max for turing.

solarus84 likes this.

11. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Great, thanks! That was the main reason why I was afraid of using the latest drivers, I was worried it would change the power management mode to the same ones as the RTX 30 series (which brings it's own sets of issues).

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the driver behavior never changed for the 30 series, only the control panel ui.

from launch the adaptive and optimal settings behaved as Normal does, the ui update just corrected how the new device behavior was exposed to the settings.

13. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Is this also the case for the RTX 20 series? Because on alot of the RTX 30 series models having the "Power management mode" left on "Normal" causes quite a few issues when you leave your computer idle on the dashboard or when you want to use an internet browser (doesn't seem to happen while a game is running though), however changing it to "Prefer maximum performance" fixes this issue.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Never used "Prefer maximum performance" anywhere outside of some really old games and never had any issues. What are you talking about?

15. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    The RTX 30 series have issues when it comes to using the "Normal" power management mode, alot of people talked about it since these cards launched over a year ago. Google it.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Why would I "google it" if I'm using an RTX 30 card for a year and never had any issues in "Normal" power mode?

17. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I mean you are the one who asked me, I quote "What are you talking about?", to which I replied to your question...

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Which is where you're providing the information you're talking about. Saying "google it" is not that.

19. solarus84

solarus84 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/kuix7e/rtx_3070_random_black_screen_issues/

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/414695/rtx-3070-black-screen/

There are many like that if you googled it, I believe the issue stems from manufacturers cheapening out on capacitors, Asus being the only one who didn't cheapenout out, at least when it comes to the RTX 3080, RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3090 (however their "cheaper" RTX 30 series cards did not get the same treatment and do suffer from the same set of issues as the other cards from the other manufacturers).

Here is some info: https://pokde.net/system/pc/gpu/geforce-rtx-3080-crashes-may-be-caused-by-poor-choice-of-components

Of course, most manufacturers denied that the issue comes from their poor choice of components.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    normal power management is only an issue for the folks that settled for a faulty card or haven't updated their power supply.