2Gbps internet, link aggregation questions from router to switch

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Aura89, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So my internet provider has 2Gbps internet speeds, and i have tested straight from the modem i am indeed getting those connections, but i am having trouble finding a router with 2.5Gbps or higher LAN ports.

Looking up some information makes me believe that i should be able to aggregate a connection (as long as both the router and switch allow it?) with two ethernet gigabit ports on a router to a switch that has 2.5G ports or higher and then be able to connect that to my PC to be able to get the 2 gig speeds from my modem

So basically:

Modem 2.5G ethernet --- > Router 2.5G WAN port, then from router, 2 1 gig ethernet ports aggregated to switch with 2.5G+ ports, and from switch one 2.5G+ port to PC 2.5G port

This should get me access to the 2Gbps internet speeds on that PC, yes? or no? I'm relatively unfamiliar with aggregation and etc.

Ideally, i'd love to find a router that simply has a 2.5Gbps+ WAN as well as 2.5Gbps+ LAN ports....

Any suggestions of alternative solutions are welcome

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Why do you need a ROUTER? Your "modem" IS a router and gateway in one already. It "routes" between the internet and intranet = LAN.

That's what ROUTERS do.

All you really need a firewall (check the modem if it has one built in, probably not,) a 2.5 or 10 Gbps SWITCH and plug your PC and WIFI-WLAN into the Switch to enable connectivity.

If you only have one PC, you can just plug your PC directly to the "modem" with a 2.5 Gbps ethernet port, then plug a WIFI access point into one of the other 1 Gbps or slower ethernet LAN ports on the "modem" to enable your mobile or tablet or other WIFI devices to connect to it.

Modem is technically wrong term as there is no analog signal "modulation demodulation", the signal is all digital.

386SX and CrazY_Milojko like this.
  3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
  4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

The modem i have is the netgear cm2000, only one ethernet port

So definitely would need something more then just it

Only one device is connected at the moment directly, everything else is wifi but i will be adding more in the future

I am unfamiliar with not using a router, would i then need a managed switch for DHCP purposes?

And i will have to look into wifi access points.

But i mean, it sounds like i'll need 3 devices no matter what? Modem + router + switch or modem + switch + wifi access point?

I am unfamiliar with sfp ports but i will look into this

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    use an old pc or even a raspberry pi with opnsense on.

386SX likes this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So i think i decided to go this route, i bought this router as well as an SFP+ 10 gig PCI-Express card and a 10 gig fiber cable, here's hoping it works out and as well i think since it's 10 gig that should last me quite some time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZRSQM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6J2KL9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Yes, you can add either a switch with many ports or a router with many ports to the single LAN port off your "modem" router. You will just be routing between 2 routers:

Modem + Router combo > Router + WIFI > PC off ethernet ports.

It's called CASCADING when you link downstream devices BTW.

It will work.

If your PC does not have a 2.5 Gbps port, then you will need to get a 2.5 Gbps or faster ethernet adapter. Make sure the Ethernet Port is AUTO SENSING and same for the Router + WIFI combo devices.

One of our vendors offers commercial 10 Gbps ports off their routers, NON Auto sensing so that means we MUST connect at 10 Gbps to the SWITCH, not 1 or 2.5 Gbps...

8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Please handle fiber like rare eggs and especially DO NOT BEND TOO MUCH!!! IF AT ALL!!!

Fiber is most sensitive against physical damage by bending the cables too much so they crack inside (you dont see that) and transfer speeds go down. If you see massive retransmits the cable is most likely broken (later: the small connectors could be full of dust or damaged).

https://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/install/bend_radius.html

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE

not sure on the router, why go prosumer elsewhere then consumer with the main device.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It seems like the easier, most consumer friendly way to do it? I'm not advanced in a lot of this area, but a situation where the router provides a port that all i have to do is get a PCI-Express adapter for seems a lot less complicated then trying to get ports aggregated and having additional devices.

Plus, if this works (i have not received the items yet) it provides an upgrade path in the future without me having to buy a bunch of new stuff. All i'd need is a switch with a SFP+ 10 gig connection and 2.5+ (if not 10) gig ethernet ports to connect more devices and allow the 2+ gig internet (Our internet provider claims they will be going up to 10 gig in the next 5 years) to more devices. No aggregation or etc. needed, so it just seems like the logical, most future ready option.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Was just thinking the same, why going for ASUS stuff when the other 2 parts are at a complete different level.
    I would also avoid ASUS routers like the plague these days, there designs aren't what they used to and there is a lot of mess going on with the firmware that even third party firmware can't fix, snooping a bit around on SNB should tell enough, heck, even some of the guys who release the third party firmware use professional network equipment instead.

Something like MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    and one or more good AP's add more value for the money while also being stable.
    With more AP's it might be a good idea to throw in a WiFi controller, unless you get some that have it build in so they can do propper roaming.
    Simply said, the AX89X is overpriced for what it can do.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm gonna toss my 2 cents and advise you to buy what you need.

5 years is a long time in tech and better will be out by then.

WIFI7 (6 Ghz wireless LAN) is already demonstrated and waiting for finalizing the standards.

Also commercial networks review between 3-5 years time to build forward and half the time will upgrade as new tech will eclipse what they have or if they experience crazy growth.

I would not buy prosumer network gear for home use due to ongoing price vs performance.

If you are mobile or living in trailers, yes, I would get outdoor proof network gear because your adobe may not be sufficiently insulated or you need industrial grade wireless to get any signals.

I have a fiber line with a $15 USD WIFI "router" hanging off it to support mobile devices.

All desktops, laptops and tablets with USB Ethernet adapters get access to the fiber line.

We have guest video streaming ~ 8 Mbps 1080p HD or 20 Mbps 4K video while others game online with zero lag.

Overkill is overkill in terms of network... money is better spent on your main connection and GPU for gaming or mining.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Everything depends what one needs, what might be overkill for some might be not enough for others.
    Apart from that the rest also needs to be able to support the main connection, bit pointless connecting a router with a 1Gb WAN port to a 2Gbps fiber connection.
    So rather a switch that both does LAN routing as DHCP (keep in mind that it is pretty common to supply dumb fiber boxes over here, only one IP adress) with at least one port to support the fibers speed and the rest fast enough to cover what ever one needs, throw one or two access points that don't need to be uber expensive on top and you have something much better than that ASUS Gaming router for around the same price.
    You will also end up having all end devices being pretty exposed without a border between LAN and WAN, especially if you don't know how to protect all end devices that will be used on such a network.
    Been testing some of earlyer mentioned "old" PC solutions for some small office networks, they are simply to slow and to expensive to get enough network throughput, chances are that it is possible to get a good used firewall appliance for a low cost and even for free from companies that upgrade to larger/faster equipment.
    The router OS for that MikroTik should also cover some security aspects, would look trough it's user manual to see what it brings.

My own household setup is a mesh system with router on the first floor and 2 nodes on the second floor, one of the nodes has only the backhaul WiFi enabled and feeds into a 5 port switch and the WAN port on the second node, best would of course be to run a cable downstairs but not everyone here likes them on their walls. :)
    It's only Gigabit ports and WiFi4 plus 2 WiFi5 bands, which is enough for a 1Gb fiber connection, since I don't use the network to transfer a lot between devices.
    With my PC's WiFi I can squeze around 540Mbps up and down, and with a cable from it's NIC connected to the second node up to 720Mbps, which is fast enough for downloading and uploading huge files while leaving plenty of headroom for the rest of the household.
    I don't leave my end devices turned on 24/7, so internet file transfers are better done fast.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  14. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    10GE SFP Uplink Port for a Home network... that's def a overkill but there is no way around if you want to get full bandwidth you're paying for. it would be a different story if your provider would give you that through a port-channel than you could go with a smaller hardware and than bundle 2x1GE Ports into a 2Gbps Port-Channel.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    +1
    Intel NIC's that can be Teamed are also a LOT cheaper, as long as there are free ports in the switch/router to utilize for it.

iNerd likes this.

16. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Too bad i dont have a fiber connection in my house. I‘ve got 99 problems but free ports aint none… :D:D:D

Attached Files:

Mineria likes this.