RTSS Overlay Editor Megathread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Haldi, Jan 26, 2021.

1. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    How can I add CPU Clock? On Data Source there's nothing available on HWInfo or AIDA and there's no other place to choose a source for this data. I've tried everything. I just need CPU Clock and CPU Power to make ir perfect for me.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is available in both HWInfo and AIDA providers if you start that application and enable shared memory support for it.

3. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    my bad , thought you meant something else , ok ...shame wouldve been cool

4. realghostvids

realghostvids Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    This is a small thing but I thought it was neat so I'll share it.

By simply copying a layer, moving it to the bottom (End key), and then nudging it (Shift + arrow keys) you can create a sort of drop shadow behind your text. It's a nice way of making your text stand out a bit more without having to put a box behind everything.
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Probably not very efficient since you're literally displaying all data twice in the overlay, but since the hypertext limit got raised it's likely not an issue even for more detailed overlays.

Jorgeapp and Andy_K like this.

5. Unwinder

There is more efficient way of doing that and applying it to any overlay, which doesn't require overlay modification. If you look at your first screen, you'll see that the font natively has thin outline. Outline is generated at software level by RTSS and "embedded" into font texture, so it adds no additional performance cost during rendering. I left font outline generation algorithm customizable via profile, so you may alter it to make outline applied to bottom/right only (instead of default top/left/bottom/right) and make it bolder. Outline generation algorithm is defined into Global profile template in [Font] section by following lines:

Code:
    OutlineCompensation      = 1
    OutlinePassCount            = 1
    OutlineFactor                   = 240
    OutlineMask                = 0000000F

Try to change it to:

Code:
    OutlineCompensation      = 3
    OutlinePassCount            = 3
    OutlineFactor                   = 240
    OutlineMask                = 00000006

6. Gustavo Zoppi

Gustavo Zoppi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX
    Hello guys!

I'm new here, and I would like possible help with a question (difficulty) I've been having for a few WEEKS.

I own a Ryzen 9 5900X along with an RX 5700 XT (Sapphire's Nitro+ model)

And it's been a few weeks since I saw an overlay used by the folks at SapphireTechnology, with blue and red colors, and I thought that overlay was just beautiful.

Since then I have been researching how to "create" an overlay to use in Afterburner, but without success.

English is not my native language and I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding how I could do something like that.

I apologize in advance, but I would like to know if anyone here on the forum would be willing to make an overlay for me IDENTICAL to the one used in SapphireTechnology, obviously I am willing to pay for such work.

Because I honestly haven't been able to do an overlay like that and it honestly has been frustrating me for almost 1 month.

If anyone can help, I ask PLEASE! get in touch with me so we can arrange the details.

7. lamed16417

lamed16417 Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    Can you share your overlay file please?

8. Michal Turcel

Michal Turcel Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Hello, what do you recommend for displaying "GPU performance limit" in one field? Can I make overlapping text layers that show nothing if the data is 0 and show some text otherwise? I guess I could do it with sprites but that's a bit too much work.
    Edit: I thought about another dirty workaround, multiply the value by 10000000, make a layer for each limit: "power %power limit%" and put it half off-screen so it is hidden if the value is 0, but shows "power" or whatever the reason is if the value is 10000000. Is there a less dirty way?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
  9. Unwinder

I'd implement it with dynamic colors. Create multiple overlapping layers and set dynamic color for each of them so that limit's 0 value is mapped to fully transparent color (alpha = 0) and 1 is mapped to fully opaque color (alpha = 255). This way each layer will effectively hide itself when associated power limit is not triggered.

lifexstyle, Dan Longman and SpajdrEX like this.
  10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is there any way of adding current display refresh rate to the OSD? The one on which the application window with the OSD is being shown.

11. Unwinder

Nope and that's not planned.

12. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
  13. Unwinder

Wolfgang's overlay editor guide:

vLaDv, jonnysonny, The1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. xcasxcursex

xcasxcursex Guest

GPU:
    frack you
    Hi, I've been reading a lot but I couldn't find an answer, sorry if I've missed something.

I wonder if it is possible to have a graph which would record the instantaneous framerate over a longer period of time, like 1-5 minutes. The normal framerate/frametime graphs are very good for finding problems like stutter, but since they only show the previous few seconds (I think it is one sample per frame?) they are not so good for finding issues like framerate drops in certain areas. If I could have a graph that is more like 1 sample per second,or 1 sample per 500ms, that would be amazing.

Perhaps this could be a use-case for different update rates on graph objects? (I know that the value currently only applies for animation) Perhaps I could use a correction formula to slow the sample rate? I don't know.

I've been taking some time to migrate my layout from MSI afterburner to the new layout editor and I must say, it's really good! I just have this one last dream left for my perfect OSD ;) Thanks for any advice!

15. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    In MSI AB open Settings go to Monitoring tab, scroll down.
    enable "Log History to file" and set a filename if needed. Disable again if you don't want to log constantly.
    Below set Hotkey for "Begin logging" and "End logging".

After you have logged a session, you can then click on the "View" button on that Tab to load and review saved sessions.

16. xcasxcursex

xcasxcursex Guest

GPU:
    frack you
    Thanks, but I'm after something for the Overlay Editor so I can monitor in real time.

17. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    RTSS click setup,
    Scroll down in general tab
    Checkmark in benchmark mode
    Click plugin beside general tab
    Click hotkey handler dll
    Under benchmark set hot key for
    Begin record
    End Record
    With the hotkeys benchmark mode all is also recorded to a file

In overlay editor pick and choose what you want to display
    Frame times / benchmarking
    <FT>                Frametime in milliseconds with one decimal (e.g. 16.7)
    <FR>                Framerate. Select "Display integer framerate" option in RTSS to round to integer.
    <FRMIN>             Minimum framerate*.
    <FRMAX>             Maximum framerate*.
    <FRAVG>             Average framerate*.
    <FR01L>             Framerate of 1% slowest frames. (See also "Percentile calculation" option)*.
    <FR10L>             Framerate of 10% slowest frames. (See also "Percentile calculation" option)*.
    <BTIME>             Duration of current benchmark run (e.g. 01:12:34)*.

EG:30 minute video where for benchmark mode I used the hotkeys to record length of my PC Gaming session and 1%Low,avg,max FPS
    Page 4 in this thread has a list of hypertext tag/commands you can check out

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  18. xcasxcursex

xcasxcursex Guest

GPU:
    frack you
    Thanks mate. I saw your 2077 gauges last night when I was researching this on youtube, so I've already seen your video :D Nice work!

I already have the graphs working, but what I'm after is a slower scrolling graph. The one we have now, plots a point for each frame, so let's say it is 200 pixels wide, at high framerate it will be under 1 second long. This is great for seeing detail like stutters, or small repeated bumps caused by polling applications, etc.... But I'd also like to be able to look for things like "I get about a 20fps drop when I go in this room", or "when I ADS I lose 7FPS every time", and the time-frame for such events is far longer than a second or two.

I'd like a graph that shows a longer history, for example instead of plotting one point for each frame, it plots one for each polling interval. If this were our 200pixel graph, updating once per second, now we would have enough room for over 3 minutes. The data will be more coarse and detail like stutter will be lost, but it will be useful for other things, so that's OK.

This is just one example of how I might accomplish such a thing. Slower sampling does not have to be the way. For example, if I could scale the graph, I could make a graph 8000 pixels wide and scale it 2.5% and now I have my 200 pixel graph, but it will have 8000 frames of data in it.

I...am basically imagining ways to do it because I'm not sure how to do it in reality, or if it's even possible?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  19. Unwinder

No, it won't happen. It fundamentally conflicts with idea of asyncronous fr/ft graphs update, which is independent for each 3D process. You have AB monitoring module for sampling FR/FT wirth fixed polling rate. Bringing it to overlay is a regress and requires BREAKING a lot of internal things with close to zero useful effect in the end.

20. xcasxcursex

xcasxcursex Guest

GPU:
    frack you
    It was not my intention to move this module from Afterburner to RTSS, but to have RTSS overlay plugin display the existing data from Afterburner, in a different way. Just the same graph as we have above, same Afterburner plugin for RTSS overlay editor, all the same except scrolling slower, so I can see the graph beyond a few seconds.

I feel like I must be explaining this badly because nobody understands. Sorry about that. I will try to find a video example.