MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Such protective mechanism is already implemented inside. Try to create RTSSHooks.dll.copy inside RTSS folder (such pending rename source file is placed there by installer) then attempt to start RTSS. It won’t allow you to start application prompting that reboot is required to finalize unfinished installation. But due to some odd reason I applied it to 32-bit hooks library only. I’ll do similar protection for 64-bit hooks too in the next version.

Andy_K likes this.
  2. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I dunno, can you not be asshole for once? Some things just impossible.

They are:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-168#post-5965712
    and
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-168#post-5965625

None of them talk about tray text scaling.

Cool, so next time you complain someone uses outdated old version keep in mind WHY people do that. Usability matters

Godsend. Still not as big as before but tolerable.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  3. Unwinder

Really? Try to read link in red, it definifively doesn't answer your question, right? And no need to appologize for personal insults caused by your own lazyness, just avoid posting anything here in future please.

Final version of RTSS 7.3.2 has been released. It is the same RC build 25998, which was posted a few days ago.

I'll focus on finalizing MSI AB 4.6.4 now. Probably there will be one more beta (or RC) of MSI AB with final 7.3.2 included, new Win11 themed skins mentioned before, Alder Lake support and some previously declared tray icon monitoring exhancements. Then we'll release it as final 4.6.4 too.

bigcid1 likes this.
  4. joaoameixa88

joaoameixa88 Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I dont know if it was some update of Afterburner, but i dont have the option of cpu clock anymore at my 3700x .

Does anyone have the same problem?

5. Unwinder

And one more time: this is not "help me" thread PLEASE. How many dozens times do I need to repeat the same over and over again? And it is not fun considering that it is not the first time when I need to say that personally to you.

6. Unwinder

Chris aka @Drerex is currently working on light version of Windows 11 themed skin for 4.6.4 (dark version of the same Win11 themed skin has been shown before). Once it is ready - we’ll upload 4.6.4 Beta with it and probably release it shortly. Expected changes list is rather short and it was published a few posts above.

disq and toyo like this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Alexey, you're becoming just like me when someone interrupts my chess study :) And If I don't become a Grandmaster before I die from my severe health problems I will consider that a waste of a life :(

I'm 50 years old now...and my temper is nothing like it used to be way back when you helped me with some W-buffer thing artifact thing in Unreal Tournament and Kaspersky AV messing with Rivatuner so many years ago...I guess time hasn't been favorable to me.

(i can't believe I remember that far back...)
    Thank you for your continued work with AB.

Unwinder likes this.
  8. Xdh129

Xdh129 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    after upgrading to 7.3.2, memory usage / process stopped showing in OSD so I searched and came here, found the solution is to upgrade to the latest beta of Afterburner :) and also happy and surprise to see the developer himself to be here, providing so much specific technical details for us, thanks for your hard work :)
    sorry for my poor English :)

9. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    would there be a way to have RTSS not be affected by Reshade? many games using Reshade change RTSS OSD colors...contrast etc.

specially Vulkan , DX11, Opengl APIs...appreciated

would be a nice to have feature if not too much asked

i love RTSS very much and am always hyped to see what updates come out next, keep up the great work for sure

10. Unwinder

Hehe, I think I still have sources of that W-buffer tweaked UT renderer somewhere on my HDDs. :)

Falkentyne likes this.

11. Unwinder

Chris did his magic faster than I expected. New Light edition of Win11 skin is here:

upload_2021-11-21_11-14-57.png

So I think that we'll launch new (and most likely the last one) beta of MSI AB 4.6.4 in the nearest few hours.

Stay tuned!

hacktrix2006, Haldi, Eripsa and 8 others like this.
  12. Drerex

Drerex Member

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 3090
    Unfortunately round corners don't look good on the exterior edges of AB. This is because round corners requires a semi-transparent pixels to create a blur effect. As a somewhat work around, you use no blur effect on the corner but it does look very pixelated as you see in the pic below. You can see the pixelated effect on the exterior curves.

[​IMG]

This is why you see in a lot of the skins that I create have 45 degree angles and no exterior curves. 45 degree angles play nice. In the case of the Windows 11 skin, I had the choice of a standard corner or 45 degree angle. I went with the standard corner because it was closer to the Win 11 look.

toyo and aufkrawall2 like this.
  13. Unwinder

Actually you can apply semi-transparent pixels, skin backgound image supports alpha channel when skin composition mode is set to "layered with alpha". But it is more (sometimes much more, depending on the skin size) performance consuming than default "layered with color key". Peek inside Dragon Army skin, this skin demostrates background with alpha.

upload_2021-11-21_18-35-33.png

toyo, Drerex and aufkrawall2 like this.
  14. Drerex

Drerex Member

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 3090
    Yeah, I remember seeing the dragon army one was a little less pixelated but does show some jagged edges. I can mess around with it a little in the future. Love to get it as smooth as the edge of a window

upload_2021-11-21_11-16-41.png upload_2021-11-21_11-17-21.png

15. Unwinder

That entirely depends on skin creator and specified background alpha.

16. Muhammad Subhan Ishabi

Muhammad Subhan Ishabi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti / 6 GB
    Uh i need help with RTSS 7.3.2 Final Stable.

When playing Hot wheels dx12 RTSS reports the game to be 120fps while in reality it's 60 (every FPS on games count double on the RTSS)

So far only this game i guess?? Is there anything wrong with my rtss or is this bug?
    Freshly install RTSS no edits so far

17. Unwinder

Just purchased Hot Wheels Unleashed and reproduced it. Investigating.

gran172 likes this.
  18. Drerex

Drerex Member

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 3090
    So the key is in the alpha then. Noted and gives me something to test then.

toyo likes this.
  19. Cuban Legend

Cuban Legend Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 770GTX DCU2-OC
    Will do Sir, thank you for the tip. I will search for those dedicated threads to so i may learn to first understand and configure classic scanline sync. :)

My apologies good Sir, I will look elsewhere outside from this thread in the future, with any support questions.

20. ChrisG683

ChrisG683 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3090
    Hi there! I'm new to this thread, and first I wanted to say thank you for all of the tireless and hard work on MSI Afterburner + RivaTuner Statistics Server, I've been using them for many years and they've made my gaming life so much smoother!

I've been using the latest versions while playing Halo Infinite (MSI Afterburner 4.6.4 Beta 4 and RivaTuner Statisics Server 7.3.2) but something about the framerate limiter just doesn't feel right. I have two different computers I play on (Desktop and a Laptop), and on both systems using RTSS to cap the FPS feels like it's doing nothing, or very little at least. The FPS cap gets me a perfectly flat frametime bar but it's still stuttering a lot unlike in the other games I play (Dota 2, Apex Legends, Halo MCC, PSO2, Phasmophobia, Metro Exodus, etc).

However when I use the Halo Infinite in-game framerate limiter the game is super buttery smooth (despite the OSD graph showing a pretty jagged frame timing graph).

I've tried toggling the following RTSS options and they didn't seem to help:
    • Application detection level: Low, Medium, High
    • Stealth Mode
    • Custom Direct3D support
    • Scanline sync on and off
    • All of the OSD settings
    • Enable framerate limiter modes: async, front edge sync, back edge sync
    • Enable passive waiting
    • Use Microsoft Detours API hooking (crashed the game)
    Also as another experiment I tried using the NVIDIA Control Panel frame rate limiter, and it also is suffering from the same problem where game play stutters and does not feel smooth like the in-game limiter. The frametime graph was also not flat with the NVIDIA limiter, granted I rarely use it so I don't know if it's usually flat or not.

If it's not too much trouble to ask, would you mind looking at Halo Infinite again now that the public beta is available to everyone? I have a feeling there's still something wonky with the new DX12 runtime it's using. RTSS isn't the only application having issues with it, NVIDIA ShadowPlay and Steam Screenshots both think it's the "Desktop" when I try to record media, but that's unrelated :)