NVIDIA Hotfix GeForce 496.61 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Oct 29, 2021.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Driver sharpen still works in Warzone with latest drivers. Be sure to flush every possible shader cache path (driver, d3dscache, game). Though the game already has some ugly ringing issue on its own and the driver sharpen filter is an extreme booster for such artifacts...

2. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    Not from my tests, and even ManualG said it was disabled as it causes problems

3. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You can still enable it in the profile, I tried two days ago.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Are you using any form of shader injectors on top?

5. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    No

6. bOse

bOse Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    hey guys whats the last good RTX driver ? 496.13 ?

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    the latest.

Xtreme512, nizzen and dr_rus like this.
  8. tc0566

tc0566 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMIN

Open the Driver.Display folder and you will find NvCamera. Nothing within DisplayDriver folder can be removed and still let the installer do it's job. You are showing the DCH driver. Open a Standard driver and you find that NvCamer is not within the DisplayDriver folder and can be removed. There are plenty of differences between the 2. Here is a pic of 472.12 installer setup before stripping of all unnecessary bs and a pic after getting rid of all the garbage. As you can see NvCamera folder is not within Driver.Display folder and can be removed without affecting the installer.

472. clean.png 472 clean.png

9. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    457.51, latest isn't always the best

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    NvCamera can be removed after installation.
    There is probably some way to do it pre install, but that needs some deep digging into, doubt it is worth the time when it can be done afterwards.

Why do you keep the PPC folder? Got an RTX 20 series and using the USB-C port on it?
    If not you can remove that one as well.

On a personal note, guess I could remove the audio folder too, since I don't use it at all. :)

11. tc0566

tc0566 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMIN
    On DCH drivers NvCamera removal before installation from the driver package will not let you install. Installer will fail, you can not remove anything from Display.Driver folder. PPC folder was overlooked lol The pic is from only removing NvCamera folder. driver failure.png

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    as you've said 15 times, yet that driver has its own problems.

XantaX likes this.
  13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, because one needs to find how much of the installer files that look for it.
    Can see quite a few of the inf files got a section labeled [nv_nvcamera_copyfiles], those sections need to go besides what ever that check for the folder itself.

14. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    In the interests of full disclosure, this turned out to be my machine. Started getting some intermittent POST behaviour (wouldn't get to the BIOS screen).
    Did a full spring clean, re-seating all connectors, peripherals etc. and the errant POST behaviour vanished. Reinstalled the 496.61HF driver, and everything has been running perfectly for the last couple of days. Must have been a dicky connection somewhere, definitely not the fault of the driver.

15. Ohmer

Ohmer Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti DUKE OC
    Do you mean a copy of the NvCamera folder @ C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\ for example, or somewhere else?
    (I've always deleted everything in that folder to save space, as none of it is required after install. Can't check since it's empty now.)

If you mean the NvCamera folder @ C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_af191495570c6c08\ then SYSTEM privileges are required. Perhaps you mean something else?
    Either way, I don't have the overlay prompt issue @tc0566 was referring to. (I use a minimal installation set much like yours)

16. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    by any chance, does anyone know if this driver performs better in FC6 then the 496.13 driver?

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    @Ohmer

The NvCamera folder in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\
    Yes it requires admin priveleges, which I do think most Guru's have on their own systems.

It's one way to remove the prompt completely besides getting ridd of the rest.

tc0566 likes this.
  18. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I tried this 472.39 GRD standard driver, it refuse to install with a message saying this driver is not for my graphics card (turning series) it's for kepler series. Is there not other 472.39 GRD standard driver ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  19. ~AngusHades~

~AngusHades~ Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Those filters should be banned on competitive games if ya ask me. Only the more powerful cards can run them without a big hit. It's an unfair advantage. Only scum players use them. Just like controller players on PC.

20. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    What filters kind sir?