Omen 3060 GPU Thermal Throttling ... in some cases.

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Sentenced, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    So, I’ve bought a 5800H, 3060 Omen. I have experienced some considerable thermal throttling in benchmarks (85 degrees C reached in less than 10 sec, with time spy, port royal & superposition). I was really thinking to return it, until I tried the Metro Exodus Enhanced edition internal benchmark @ ultra settings, Ray tracing on, PHYSX on, that.... run cool and lovely (no more than 67 degrees perhaps). Different power settings are not believed to have made THAT much of a difference.

Which brings us to the question. Are these 3000 series too sensitive about code (in relation to the also mentioned today "New World" story). BTW the laptop is great otherwise and its 5800H is one of the higher performers compared to similarly CPU equipped systems. So, it’s a keeper I think, nevertheless (my 2 years warranty also helps, perhaps).

2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have the same laptop and haven't noticed any throttling yet. But I don't run synthetic benchmarks. Could be a bug with that.

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    85 degrees C is nothing - over 90 is everyday life with the latest laptops. At least slim ones.

Hypernaut and Serotonin like this.
  4. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    Yes, perhaps I should do the same and uninstall them. Most of the game have thier own benchmarks, anyway.
    BTW do you use the balaced power option/fans auto. Perhaps I should find the setting that work the best...

If thermal throttling kicks in, it is I am afraid... but yes, generally I knew where I was getting into ;):D

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm not sure what setting I have the fans on, I'll look tonight. I do have them set to something. I do know when the thing gets fairly warm it sounds like a jet engine. It's annoying, but also extremely funny at the same time. Doesn't happen often. Usually if I have the laptop seated on a blanket when I'm sitting on the couch - so it's blocking the vents.

Sentenced likes this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have my laptop set to performance through the hp gaming software that comes pre-installed. Latest Nvidia drivers that are available on their site. 496.xx I believe. Played some left for dead maxed out - no issues there. No throttling. fans do get quite loud at times, but everything runs smooth.

Sentenced likes this.
  7. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    An update: Laptop was heavily throttling with demanding games (100% utilization) too. I returned it to the shop (biggest local store/chain) I bought it in order to check it / potentially replace it. They innitially told me it was fine. When I insisted and told them some more details they decided to have a better look on it. They then contacted HP and HP said that the throttling behaviour was perfectly normal (remember: GPU went to the 86 degrees thermal limit within 3 seconds under perfect circumstaces. Yes that was normal for them!).

As a final resort I kindly asked the store to at least change the thermal paste.

Result: Temperature no longer reaches more than 70 degrees under any load (and the Superposition bechmark/extreme 1080p results jumped from 3500 to 4800 points).

I am very sorry to say that the official HP service was very substandard. Their only worry was to deny any problem in order to avoid any potential replacement/financial loss even though the problem was apparently very serious (as it is shown by the massive improvement with the thermal paste change). I have bought countless products from them (especially printers) but I will now be very hesitant before buying something from them again.

Serotonin likes this.
  8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Well, at least the store was able to help you. That doesn't surprise me from HP..or any of these companies honestly. Glad to read the throttling issue is gone now though! Now start enjoying the games!

Sentenced likes this.
  9. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    Yes, at least it is a relief of some kind.

BTW how stupid of them to sell $1.5K gaming laptops and have unskilled workers to assemble them with these destructive thermal results. I mean it must have been a crazy bad combination of a really inadequate contact between the GPU and the cooler and a silly application of the original thermal paste. It was essentially like the GPU was thrown totally naked in there. (40 degrees -idle- to 86 degrees -load- in 3 seconds:rolleyes:).

Serotonin likes this.