Intel confirms the core specifications of its next Alder Lake processors on its website.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I'm predicting good performance, but not without some software hiccups.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    tunejunky likes this.
  4. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I don't like this, this is bad. So now MICROSOFT will have to focus on TWO completely different architectures and all ready MICROSOFT ****** up AMD's performance twice!

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Might only be an issue with software that is no longer supported. No PC developer can afford to alienate Intel. That said, compatibility issues with new architectures will always take a bit of time to iron out. Nothing new there. By the time Raptor Lake ships, this will have been a non-issue imo.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Excalibur1814

Excalibur1814 Active Member

GPU:
    1660ti
    Gosh, a new operating system having issues? Who knew!??!!

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Is funny a little bit :p so pirates that have disabled /removed the drm will have the best experience .....again.... Hell at some cases it seems the best option is to pay and then download a crack to play your games drm free ! Gog versions are also awesome and they should be preferred

8. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Vague comment. When was the last time MICROSOFT slowed down a CPU after an update? I spent a good amount of money building my new rig and this kind of crap pisses me off. I'm probably overreacting but I guarantee this won't be the end of it. Save my comment and come back to it in a few months to see if my crystal ball was right.

How would you feel if you bought a new car and the dealer wants to update the PCM so you bring it in and then while driving you notice the car pigging out. You call the dealer and his excuse is the timing and fuel table got ****** up so you gotta wait a few weeks to get if fixed again. How would you react to that?

tunejunky and JAMVA like this.
  9. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Looks like a developer nightmare with the complexity.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't think it will be that bad. There will obviously be some growing pains but I think it's necessary for the future.

mackintosh likes this.

11. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Oh yes always better for the future, when obviously this move is the equivalent of a losing chess player yelling "what's that over there!?" then the board magically ends up on the floor.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I suspect some older software/games will tank on performance but it might not really matter.

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It should be performance issues not so much compatibility problems.

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the absolute worst thing about Alder lake is the confusion it creates in the marketplace.
    i can guarantee that some people will end up buying an unintended CPU due to the multiplicity of models.

this is the "let's throw everything on the wall and see if it sticks" mentality.
    what is the point of ballyhooed new uArch when marketing decides to make an all big core CPU (like the past) while trumpeting the "revolutionary" new design? the end result is like i said, confusion in the marketplace.

and what's even more maddening it the increased EU count on the laptop series. of course lappies need it more, but in the current GPU environment 96 EU's on a CPU makes sense and would treat their Xe ecosystem as an upgrade path.

i mean c'mon man!

mackintosh and JAMVA like this.
  15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    AMD already working on that architecture too
    And stop about M$ and AMD, M$ patch will be aviable tomorow and work fine for now.

tunejunky and Undying like this.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Is it just me or is having 6 "P" and 8 "E" cores sound really strange.

If it was 8 performance cores and 6 eco cores i'd understand but the other way around just seems weird to me.

tunejunky, Venix and insp1re2600 like this.
  17. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Android and iOS have been working for years on asymmetric MP configurations (big.LITTLE), but the Windows' kernel is yet to be optimized for this mix and match of different CPU cores. There will be growing pains along the way.

18. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Actually, not really. The "E" cores aren't that slow, and in multi-threading when the entire chip is power or thermal limited, they do pull their weight quite well. Its only in single or lightly threaded workloads where the P cores really run circles around them, because they clock hire and have higher IPC.
    Of course the second factor is that P cores are significantly larger, and thus more expensive, so you can offer a cheaper chip with 6 P cores and still throw in the full 8 E cores, while 8 P and remove 2 E cores doesn't really matter much for the overall chip.

tunejunky and Venix like this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    My guess on that is practicality on binning and maximizing yields z 8 little cores seem to be about as big as 2 big cores so my logic says they make 8+8 wafers and when there are defective big cores sell it like 6+8 , if little are defective 8+4 or 6 etc etc.

Well this is my speculation at least.

tunejunky likes this.