New graphics card power plug for up to 600 watts is coming (12VHPWR)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well i've never seen it go past 330 watts myself so far, though not always looking. and when i undervolt it tends to be a bit below that sometimes around 300

Passus likes this.
  2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    Cant wait for reviewers like HU telling ppl which next gen GPU is the best value.

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Expected this MCM means basically stacked gpu dies, so 2, 3, 4 card gpu sli/crossfire of past is now on single gpu. However power requirements don't go away, you save on additional components like additional VRAM but each additional gpu die still consumes power, stacking more means higher power usage as scales linear.

4. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Well im done with high end cards then, iv always bought the x80 cards since the overheating gtx480, guess il knock it down to x70 or even less if the x60 or x60ti cards are good enough in future, good thing i skipped the 3080 and will wait and see what the 4070 does

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Not sure about AMD but in the NV Control Panel you can set a FPS cap. Ovs doesnt help you now :(

6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I have a Corsair 850 but have just picked up a BeQuiet 1200w for my 6900xt and beyond.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Technically the graphics cards don't pollute.

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    And the energy to power them comes 100% from wind and solar? No mate, it doesn't.
    With cars we are just brushing the problem under the carpet, maybe creating a bigger one because of the batteries.
    It's absurd that I undervolted my RX580 by 150mV and it consumes allot less power for virtually the same performance. We are burning the planet for capitalism because 5% difference in performance will sell.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I undervolt my 3700x to 1.2v and perf is no different in games as im GPU limited at 4k, i do it for temps, nothing to do with the planet, the planet will do just fine, it was here before life and will be here long after, the planet will win the long game.

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Nothing stop people limiting these new cards to whatever wattage they feel comfortable with?

11. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Next time HH will hold a contest for a graphic card will give away also a new power supply as a bonus :D ......
    .... for the sake of it ... SUNFlower :D :))))) that will be hillarious

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    GTFO both Nvidia and AMD if they go that route,I have problem with my 1070 being more like 170watt and around 200+ under full load, where are the 150watt cards those cards i always bought there non extant now

13. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yes, I have. Nvidia cards haven't been the best enjoyers of that. And you wouldn't need to lose 10% to get in 3080 range :p

14. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I just hope that Nvidia includes a longer adapter cable this time around as the one for the previous founders cards would ruin any aesthetic oriented builds and for just for cable management in general.

15. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    "850w psu was enough" no it never was the optimal load both for efficiency and durability of your psu is near 50% load so with a 5950x and a 3090 we're supposed to run 1600w psu
    I need to repeat this every time but if you are a car owner and you don't know you shouldn't drive it at the redline nonstop because either the engine will blow up or you will melt everything in the engine compartment then sure buy a psu that is "just enough" risking your gpu motherboard and cpu to spare 100$ not smart

if you overload your psu it will blow up and destroy your gpu/motherboard guess how I know, it's not a mistake you make twice but more importantly it's a mistake I made when gpus where 450$ not 3000$ so maybe don't cheap out on the psu in 2021 bad timing

16. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Agree with everything you said but there is no need to buy PSU that double the total system power consumption. 1600W Platinum PSU is like triple the price of a good 1000W Gold PSU or double the price of 1200W platinum PSU.

All modern PSU maintain almost flat efficiency rating across all load, at 90% load it would only lose like 3% efficiency compare to a 50% load.
    efficiency.jpg

Furthermore the rated PSU wattage rating is for Output, meanwhile the wall measurement is Input. If someone is measuring 800W at the wall, that means his total system power consumption is only 800 x 90%efficiency = 720W

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Umh nope. Not buying anything over 250w

cucaulay malkin and TheDeeGee like this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well, how many people actually tweak the hardware? very few. Most of them buy the card, and if possible click a turbo button.

19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    There is no shame in being energy consumption aware.
    Yes there will be life, just maybe a little less variegated and nice, or maybe things will collapse all of a sudden. But in general energy consumption does matter, and we can't negate that.

20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    They don't pollute locally when used, no.
    They pollute when produced, and somewhere else when the energy is produced.

JamesSneed and carnivore like this.