Amazon: Graphics card manufacturers liable for graphics card failures in New World

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    not trying to argue.
    just put yourself in place of someone who eagerly waited and saved for this card, installed it in his system, downloaded the latest game to have all the eycandy etc.. only to have bricked/fried/ruined his brand new card and has to spend a lot of time disassembling/reassembling, not to mention the loss of productivity etc.. lawsuits are not unexpected here. and blaming the innocent end-user won't fly.
    saying at least you're under warranty or something to that effect minimizes the suffering and puts salt in the wound of buying the wrong card.

some brands never recover. let's see how many pre-orders NV gets for 4xxx

insp1re2600 likes this.
  2. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    The only ppl who wont buy a 4xxx are the people that cant afford it.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    One thing you can trust though is the difference you can spot yourself in his latest video regarding New World, one card goes above 400W @4K in that game while the other doesn't.
    It is questionable how much effort EVGA has put into testing the design for that higher power draw, besides how these cards will do when they end in other customers rigs after being refurbished.
    Not to mention the cards that didn't face New World and might face a future game that pushes them as hard or harder.
    They should rebrand them to FTL

Airbud and tunejunky like this.
  4. Pale

Pale Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 Ti
    Sure, but that is one spike during the whole test. And as the meter also shows, it doesn't even bring the card near the crazy 400W power draw on the EVGA card. The EVGA card is all over the place the whole time with spikes and crazy power draw. The picture remains that MSI comparatively (to the EVGA card tested) has a much more robust power draw control, which keeps the draw stable and within limits the vast majority of the time. Which probably comes down to first and foremost better components, better able to keep things under control during load shifts, and a better coded BIOS as well. And that this, to conclude, is what keeps the MSI cards from frying in New World.

tunejunky likes this.

5. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    this is like blaming the road for blowing up your engine.

kapu, DLG, kanenas and 1 other person like this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    we're talking EVGA
    MSI, Asus, et al will be selling tons of 4xxx. Gigabyte is the other loser here which gets in the way of their rise in US sales.
    EVGA's largest market is (no surprise) America. at one point you could even call me a fanboy (980ti ftw).

i can afford whatever gpu i like and i rarely keep one longer than two years.

the fact is simple EVGA has "punked out" in the name of cost cutting that have affected the very market position they've fought hard to achieve. idk the reality but it seems shady. a lot of people are prepared to pay more if "made in America" actually was a qualitative factor. i thought it was.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Something i've become aware of,

Jay received that FTW3 from the earliest of batches, which were Rev 0.0's, if the Rev 0.1's introduced this defect then evga clearly tried cutting costs and it backfired XD

kapu, kanenas and tunejunky like this.
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    NVidia isn't going to be hurt at all. I doubt eVGA will even see any repercussions. Too many people are wrongly blaming Amazon for eVGA's screwup. Hell, just look at the people in this thread alone trying to blame Amazon for eVGA cards failing....

MonstroMart and kapu like this.
  9. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    I dont think EVGA's sales will be affected seriously.
    Plenty of people out there that have had no issues with their stuff, myself included.

I stick to brands that dont cause me trouble, a lot of ppl do.

I have a friend who had the worst car experience ever with a brand new VW Passat, and I'm on my third GTI with no issues /shrug.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would argue it's still a hardware problem. The GPU should not be capable of killing itself unless you start tampering with the vBIOS.

Nvidia will be largely unaffected, especially since this problem isn't their fault. EVGA, on the other hand, will likely see a drop in recurring customers.

Goiur and Venix like this.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well i mean we say the same thing :p

12. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    3090 FE won't brick at all. I've thrown 600W through my shunt modded 3090 FE and it's till here.

It has balanced power phases and uses ten MP86957 70A smart power stages just for Vcore (NVVDD). It has 6 more for MSVDD.

The cards that bricked use imbalanced power stages (multiple power stages per phase) and Alpha and Omega power stages (AOZ).

tunejunky, kakiharaFRS and Astyanax like this.
  13. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    It's thermal greasy (not grizzly}. Proper heat dissipation to achieve the highest possible FAPS.

14. caldas

caldas Guest

GPU:
    Galax 2080Ti
    OK, let me think...
    I played dozens of games with my RTX but it burned in New World and the problem is with my GPU?

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes.

I'm sorry if you can't comprehend electrical engineering.

Goiur, PPC and carnivore like this.

16. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    absolutely not amazons fault. Doesnt matter how bad their game may be coded. Applications only REQUEST hardware do things. Its up to the hardware to make sure the things requested arent dangerous.
    And lets face it. The 3080/3090 series has a LOT of cut corners for the price. I paid $1500 for my 3090 and i had to spend another $80 on thermal pads, screwdrivers, paste etc because otherwise the vram could easily climb to 100C+. Im sure thermal pads arent the only thing that nvidia cheaped out on. Its unacceptable that a $1500 "premium" product uses such cheaply made, low quality components, but thats how the GPU market is these days, much like how Intel used to sell $2000 cpus with glued IHS until Ryzen came along and actually provided competition.

Im actually surprised that more people arent outraged at nvidia for what they pulled with the 3090 considering how people flipped a few yesrs ago because a 4GB card only really had 3.5GB actually usable

tunejunky likes this.
  17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    while Astyanax is correct technically the reason that a game is so badly coded it can generate 50'000fps is 100% their fault, it might not burn other videocards but they are taking a hit too it's not because they are (car reference incoming) "at the rev limit" nonstop that it's okay..it will destroy your car engine sooner or later, that's not a normal usage of the car engine neither is the game engine trying to break your hardware for no reason (a "2d" menu)

you might have read one of my comments about it already but the 3090 can run such crazy high fps at low res that it will litterally run at max power instantly and nonstop and in the case of some videocards it manages to go way above the limit, which btw is also the case with a car "rev limiter" it's a worst case scenario safety not a valid way of running things
    it's a rich man's problem that never really existed before the current gens of gpus, so yes it's something new that devs now have to care about, and the next gpus are going to get worse on that aspect

4K is nothing just like the ingame benchmarks used by all the reviewers are not a valid reference because those reduce the fps to lower numbers than actual gameplay, which shows a completely irrealistic power usage compared to a real life unlocked fps no vsync scenario
    I found out by a sudden heatwave that borderlands 3 in 1080p badass no vsync could climb in certain closed areas up to 320+fps with a 3090
    high fps way worse than low fps RTX 4K waaaaaayyyyy worse, you don't need benchmarks to know that just feel the insane heat wave coming out of your maxed 300-500w gpu
    just to give you an idea 120fps locked BL3 badass 1080p +-220w no vsync ? 350w or 390w (only higher power limit bios I tried) NONSTOP even in the menu, people don't realize what max power nonstop is because you've never seen it before this gen...which kind of validate Astyanax point actually

there's a new question here : do manufacturers need to dummy proof and nerf their hardware because it's going to be used badly by games ?
    as a sportscar person my answer would be no but that's my car engine tuning bias lol

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    tunejunky, AuerX and Krizby like this.
  18. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    So basically were at:

- EVGA and others, pls fix your cards
    - Amazon, pls fix your crap coded game

tunejunky likes this.
  19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    What does Jay know about coding? Absolutely NOTHING.

And what does his video show? A GPU going past its set power draw, something no game, no software has any control of. You could argue things like Afterburner and EVGA Precision have control of power draw but they only allow you to push whatever the BIOS allows. Even then the video shows the hardware escaping its bounds.

Its a hardware failure, plain and simple.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    MaCk0y, Embra, Goiur and 7 others like this.
  20. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Game can't brick video card. Get real. Card must be of low quality before :)