Windows 11 Release Build

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by disq, Oct 4, 2021.

1. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    It seems to the same broken build, yes. I even saw someone mention that they now have similar performance regressions on Ryzen in Windows 10 with the release of the 21H2 update.

EDIT: It seems AMD has posted an advisory about it. Fixes are to be expected this month.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-windows-11-slows-cpus-up-to-15-patch-coming

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-400

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    BlindBison and LocoDiceGR like this.
  2. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    I think my computer crashed while using the media creation tool. Probably an Nvidia driver problem so I'm not worried about it, I've been getting 2 second random black screens mostly during pr0n, loading new webpages, and YouTube. It started after I disabled my network adapter and ran DDU in safe mode and installed the latest Nvidia driver. I disabled the network adapter so Windows update doesn't install drivers automatically. Probably a mistake.

But anyway, I had to use diskpart to make the USB usable again after my computer booted back into Windows and now, I get this error message.

[​IMG]

*EDIT*

NVM, I ran the media creation tool on my laptop and it worked.

3. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    I forgot about AMD GPU.

It only support Nvidia RTX 30xx series and AMD RX6000 series.
    Just check, also support Nvidia RTX 20xx series.

DannyD likes this.
  4. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Download and upgrade was painless with Windows 11 Installation Assistant. Everything working as advertised so far. Got a little learning curb which is expected as with any new operating system. Might as well get with it now, not going away. Very pleased with everything so far. :cool:

5. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Using the 'Create Windows 11 installation media' tool to make a bootable USB you can do a clean install if your CPU is the only thing that doesn't meet the requirement. You'll get updates and no need to disable Secure Boot.

Just got done with my laptop which has a i7-6700HQ. My laptop has TPM 2.0 and everything else is above the requirements.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I did an in-place upgrade and have had zero issues so far. Actually seems to have fixed some issues I was having in Win10....lol

AsiJu likes this.
  7. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Going to try my brother's laptop which has TPM 1.2.

8. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    LOL made a new bootable image of the latest ISO from the Microsoft website on thumb drive,for a clean install.

Got a great idea to remove some NVME Drives and sell them. So I grabbed one of my backup drives on the shelf,went in to the room where my computer is and I thought to myself WTF am I doing. I better go check what version was released that I downloaded from the OCT 5 2021 update.

So I get to this thread,no comments on the comments but I see the new Windows 11 upgrade is the same version I been running with a clean install since it was released Windows 11 version 21H1(OS Build 22000.194).
    I would have lost my mind if I did what I was planning on doing with new clean install,just to get the same Windows 11 version.

Undying likes this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're braver than I am.... As smooth as things are going on my desktop, I'm not touching my Win10 install on my laptop.....or either of the other desktops here.

10. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    I remembered wrong. He doesn't have TPM at all but I did a registry hack and it's installing right now.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021

11. Arinoki

Arinoki Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 1GB
    Installed win11 on very old hardware (c2d e8400 + x38 chipset) using win10 installer + win11 install.esd. Working good so far :)

Undying likes this.
  12. Reclusive781

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    So, what would you say the census is on Windows 11? Good? Bad? Decent? Glorified service pack? *cough* But I mean it's a pretty freakin good UI improvement and it's free.

I've been looking around on multiple forums and I still haven't gotten that general opinion on it. Maybe I need to wait longer.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That must be working very well. :p

Arinoki likes this.
  14. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Got spare time so may as well ..

[​IMG]

Undying likes this.
  15. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    That's me on 11, even downloaded bootable for laters. while it installed.
    Very fast install and everything is same except were on win11 now.
    pin task manager , start to the left, done.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Runs surprisingly well on a first gen Surface Pro.

i5-3317u
    4gb
    intel 4000

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Installed on two rigs plus i7 ice lake lappy.

[​IMG]

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Been using it for a month, took a few days to get used to the way the UI works, like changing audio device settings, enabling Spatial Sound plug-ins, etc. I'm pretty used to the 2-step cadence it uses, and know why they did this. The options in Settings got flushed out, and they want you to use that in preference to a taskbar quick option. The Right-Click 2-stage menu is still a bit annoying, and would have preferred double-rightclick vs Shift-F10, or right-click...Show More Options...

Also gotten used to having everything in the middle of the screen, and I'm a longtime user of Start8/10, so upgrading to Start11 was a no brainer.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Basically, it works out this way.... If you like the UI changes, go ahead and "upgrade". If you dislike the UI changes, stay with Win10.

I've been running it for a couple days myself with no issues at all. I'm not ready to upgrade the remaining systems I have to it yet, but I'm not the primary user of those systems either. If the primary users of those systems want it, I'll upgrade them at some point.

In MY personal experience, W11 has been much smoother and more responsive than W10. That may not be the case for everyone and people should be aware that whether upgrading or doing a fresh install, you may encounter issues that others haven't. As with any new Windows release, there's some degree of risk.

At any rate, ignore the "general consensus" and do what you feel.... It seems the biggest gripe I'm seeing is that MS changed the UI....but a lot of people hate change of any kind for any reason.

20. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I tried to install Windows 11 in a virtual machine a frw virtual machine software don't work. Hyper-V almost worked but Windows 11 got stuck at the opening wallpaper screen. Any suggestions? My desktop computer doesn't have TPM 2.0 and has Intel I5-4670 CPU.