Silicon Lottery Store For PreBinned CPUs shuts Down

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Overclocking is a dying breed, there is very little to gain these days.

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Most people don't really need to overclock their CPUs hugely and definitely not those top-end users who were their target market. They will always be GPU limited, even with a 3090.

Their market disappeared with 4K monitors.

4. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    My latest 5950X build is the first PC I've ever owned that I haven't even bothered to attempt to overclock. The additional heat and gains just don't really make sense anymore, my last Intel CPU (3770K) had a ~1.5 GHz overclock on it for years, so was a pretty tasty jump in performance.

Fediuld likes this.

5. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Not dying, but commodified by advancement in technology. CPUs have been implementing dynamic power/clock controls in real-time that's getting better at squeezing any OC headroom by its own, at every successive generation. What is certainly not dying is the business of more efficient cooling implements.
    Only extreme (competitive) overclocking with sub-zero cooling and hardmods is justifying such a marketplace of pre-binnedd SKUs, but that niche has been tinned out.

Denial and Fediuld like this.
  6. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

Considering how small the market of 4K monitors actually is in the realm of 1080P and 1440p 144hz monitors you are pretty ignorant.

Most of the people I know that have a high-end gpu do not play at 4K and most of them don't care for it.

7. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    CPUs now are coming preoverclocked of with clever P states to boost to maximum efficiently. Also top Intell CPUs are coming soldered these days. So no need to delid.

8. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    imo it's because a 170eur cpu like 11400F will power a 3090 system even at high refresh.
    after 200eur the cost goes up significantly and the returns are a couple of percent.
    I bought a 10700F for 250eur, and even that was just an okay deal given 11400F is just a couple of percent slower and costs 80eur less.anything close to 300eur means you're paying almost double for another few percent.
    5800x/5900x/11900 - absolutely dreadful value compared to RKL i5's,though they are a tad faster.

RzrTrek and southamptonfc like this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Although I never bought anything from them, it is a little sad, more in the sense that being a hardware enthusiast is almost irrelevant these days. You don't really have to know or do much about anything, you just have to buy a motherboard, PSU, and cooler that will keep up with boost clocks. This trend was predictable almost a decade ago though, which is why I've diverted my enthusiasm toward things like OSes and robotics.

4K monitors have been around for a long while. I think what you meant was 4K-ready GPUs.

And on AMD's side of things, it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference what cooling method you use, and, some CPUs (particularly Threadrippers) are notoriously difficult to delid.

Fediuld likes this.
  10. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    No, the opposite really. 4K displays are becoming more widely adopted is what I meant. Espectially among their target market - top end users.

As GPUs become more powerful, CPU then starts to become a bottleneck again. Right now, in most scenarios, you're GPU bottlenecked with a 4K display.

11. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    How many of the people you know bought their CPUs from Silicon Lottery?

12. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    If an activity becomes popular enough it will be commodified sooner or later. Back in the golden days of Celeron and AthlonXP, some MB vendors began shifting to cater the enthusiast market, like Abit and DFI and overnight we see OC-friendly features in the BIOS and the cooling design of the products. With the advent of multi-code CPUs both Intel and AMD had to turn to more advanced and aggressive power management, directly from the mobile domain and throw it in the upper desktop and server product lines. First it was clock throttling and ended with taking the whole OC business in its own hand.
    In the 90's, overclocking was mostly a mean to get more performance from a cheaper system, almost for free. Now it has evolved into expensive hobby for bragging rights on HWBot, depending on how much you can afford it.

13. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Bit of a shame. Always considered the learning process about extracting as much performance from your gear half of the fun.
    At least I haven't been disappointed with the 8700K, delidding, OCing, resulted in quite a bit of fun.
    Then again, I eventually stuck with an undervolted stock CPU since this is more than sufficient for my current needs, so yeah.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Well... 4K displays are only now becoming widely adopted because of GPU capabilities. You are right though that GPUs are still the bottleneck.

southamptonfc likes this.
  15. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    long time love for my q8400 @4.0 Ghz that was a beast, i really enjoy overclocking it through the years, these days air cooling overclocking isn't that fun

southamptonfc likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Back in the early 2k the cpus were not running at their maximum by default so overlocking made sense. I remember my Core i5 750 i was able to get a 25% overclock with a rather average air cooler and with the default voltage. Temp were pretty good. I sold that computer to a friend and it's still running to this day with that 25% overclock. Today cpus will boost themselves very close to the maximum you can achieve. So getting a 3-5% overclock for most people is just not worth the hassle and investment.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    these days I'm more into undervolting, huge gains there

multicore is what killed oc, back when it was all single core or two at best the difference between cheap and expensive was a ghz or two, now its a couple cores more or less

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    They got better at binning so they sell the better chips for more .... Remember core i7 920 ? I can not imagine intel was loving that for the majority of the users 940 and 960 where non existent cpus and why would they even consider em the 920 if you had a really bad luck bin you could still get at the very least the 960 clocks !

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    10+actually.
    One has bought more then 10 himself.

Not one of them use 4k.
    And the few people I know who have 4k, only feel its good for visuals on single player but worthless vs ultrawide 1440p.

20. southamptonfc

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    OK, I hope you and your friends carry on enjoying your 1080p and 1440p monitors with your overclocked CPUs.

For those of us in 2021.... the top end users are using 4K or 5120x1440 240fps G9s with 3080tis or 3090s.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021