MSI RTX 3080 fan noise

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by blackout956, Sep 26, 2021.

1. blackout956

blackout956 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM
    Hello,

I bought the MSI RTX 3080 Suprim about 3 weeks ago.
    While playing around, I noticed that at least one of the 3 fans makes a strange rattling noise from about 85% fan power. Has anyone had similar experiences?
    Should I complain about the card due to this fact? My fan curve is set so that the 85% should actually never be reached, but it still bothers me, after all the card was not exactly cheap.
    Here you can find a video of the noise:

I look forward to your opinions/experiences

LG

2. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    These things happen, it aint that uncommon. If you want a replacement the store/service could just set the card to default and since it will never reach 85% there will be no rattle and they can claim its all good, which it kinda is, or they can just acknowledge your claim and issue a new one, really situational.

I got an MSI trio 3070 and the fan never goes over ~50%, do you really need it to go up to 85%? It might be a non issue and not worth the hassle tbh but if it bothers you thats the only thing that maters.

3. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    bought 3 weeks ago.
    so it can be that you are still within the withdrawal period and simply return the card without having to give any explanations.
    not a serious issue but I would not accept nothing than perfection.
    in plus, who is telling you that the fan will not slightly degrade and the rattle will start occurring at 75%, 65%, 50%(and goes on) when you are out of warranty?

ps: check (maybe with your phones torch) the space between the fan and the heat sink.
    it can be that there is some sort of contact of the fan cable with the fan.

endbase likes this.
  4. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Check behind the fans if possible I once had a fan that hit a wire behind it and made the same noise

now I see the post above my bad

5. blackout956

blackout956 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM
    Hi guys,

thanks for your input. I did check the fan cables behind the fans and at 2 of 3 cables there is already small abrasion which obviously comes from the fans. I did try to put the fan cables a bit lower but this did not work out. What options do I have?

6. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    Live with it or take it back.

7. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    You can try to remove the cooler and place better fan wires.
    But success is under question and guaranty will be void.
    You can live with that as @PPC said(don't really know if constant friction can damage the wire in the future?? I doubt it)
    or RMA/return the card having checked the availability first.