MSI Afterburner zero fan

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by blackout956, Sep 26, 2021.

1. blackout956

blackout956 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM
    Hello guys,

I've created a custom fan curve for my MSI RTX 3080 Suprim using MSI Afterburner.

However, it seems that the zero fan settings are sometimes buggy.
    From my understanding and the settings the fans should turn off whenever GPU temperature is <50°C.
    In fact the fans stay at 30% often times even though the GPU is already way below 50°C (40°C for example).
    When I "reapply" my custom fan curve, the fans go back to 0RPM like they are supposed to from the settings.
    You can see my settings here:
    https://ibb.co/94hcTR3

Does somebody have the same problem or even know a fix for this?

Thanks guys

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Your understanding is buggy. Read either context help or forum posts explaining “override zero fan speed” option functionality.

3. blackout956

blackout956 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM
    Ok, understood. But do you know why the hardware zero fan curve is so random? Like sometimes it goes to 0 when the GPU is at 49°C and sometimes it stays at 30% fan even though the GPU is already at 30°C.

4. blackout956

blackout956 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM
    After testing a bit: It seems that the hardware zero fan speed does not get updated consistently. It stays at 30% and when I disable "override zero fanspeed" and reactivate it, it immediately puts the fans to 0%.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Try checking box force fan speed update on each period.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Hardware curve won't be called hardware if MSI AB was supposed to take care about "updating" it.

7. EpsilonsQc

EpsilonsQc Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    As I understand it, and from your fan curve screenshot, your card doesn't allow to go below 30% (visualized by the horizontal dotted lines on your screenshot.)

From the MSI AB tooltips :
    "In this case you may keep fan stop mode, if it is natively supported by your graphics card in default hardware fan curve mode."
    and
    "However, you may enable "Override zero fan speed" with the default hardware fan curve."