Diablo II resurrected

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by metagamer, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I played it for a while and I'm impressed by what they achieved.
    It really looks and feels like Diablo 2, but updated. This is probably the best remake, since the Spyro Trilogy.
    The graphics look great, but still faithful to the original. The music is the same, but sounds much better.
    And the gameplay is exactly what I expected. I even tried to play with a X360 controller and it works well.
    But after a couple of hours, I was bored. Maybe because I'm older, maybe because my taste in games have changed a bit, maybe because I'm at the start and still using the basic abilities.
    But the game feels so grinding.
    I might try to play it again and push a bit further.....

2. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    the most important change they implanted is bringing the ladder-only items to single player & non-ladder multiplayer. this is the best change in my eyes that D2 res could bring.

now players can play non-ladder or single player without thinking about ladder-only RW's, ladder-only cube recipes etc..

having said that... i must admit, i agree with 90%+ of what that guy is saying here.. very important feedback right there:

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You say that but you should see the reaction on d2jsp, they hate the fact non-ladder will have ladder only runewords. I don't mind and I'll play MP on release and wait for PlugY to (hopefully) come to D2R.

4. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I played this both at console and PC. PC version is more polished, superior to everything. Console is inferior and has more bugs. Blizzard is the most mediocre developing company in existence. Of course it would be easier to upgrade an already PC native. The port is god-awful at the moment. :D

cerebus23 likes this.

5. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    that depends how you look at it. d2jsp has both clowns, pvp veterans etc so it comes down to how you see D2. il explain in a few sentence my point of view as a veteran.

those ladder-only items are *not* changing for decades. there is no "new" patches that bring new items\sets\changes since the last one, many many years ago.

so, practically the progress in D2 was divided into several ways:

- people who played for their own personal "holy grail" such as the more known streamers, people who enjoyed the mods ( such as PlugY ).
    - d2jsp, forum-gold hunters. those guys never gave a flying f... on anything as long as they improved their efficiency every few months with more bots running. ( i also use d2jsp for trading sometimes ).
    - pvp oriented players, most of them today play on private servers ( such as Coooley, from the above video ), they play the game for it's pvp or to break records ( such as 40 sec Ubers ).

now those are the main groups today in the original game, until D2R was mentioned.

so basically - anything regarding those strict-items has lost it's purpose many years ago. there is no real ladder nor there ever will be in D2, unless you want be the first* to reach level 99 ( by yourself, or by a bot ).

the seasons in D3 made sense in the beginning because the end-game in D3 was actually the higher paragon you reach, the higher greater rift you can play\win. that's it.

the end-game in D2 can be anything out of those 3 groups i mentioned. for me, it's the pvp. so by releasing those ladder-only things to everyone... you are doing only a positive thing. there is
    absolutely no negative effect here.

people who wanted Phoenix or Spirit in the single player ? must use mods.
    people who wanted Phoenix or Spirit in non-ladder ? play ladder, or just trade for it and wait 4 months to take it back to your non-ladder class.

it doesn't make sense at all. so.. im happy they actually did it even before the official release.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Played with a friend last night and we had a blast. Its like i went to the past and played my favorite game again.

M&k ware fine didnt tried a controller and performance on very high locked 60fps just looking amazing and smooth. I honestly cant wait the full release and will probably preorder the game one of these days.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    This game for some reason is painful without VRR.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I really what they've done with the graphics and sound. A different question is - something that was good 20 years ago must not necessarily be good today. The world is really static, the char does get "stuck" here and there, game play is somewhat shallow and so forth.

I'll probably get it due to nostalgic reasons and get the SP experience but that's it. I honestly wish it cost 30€ instead of 40€ which is a bit much.

Also I wish there was a buy back function as selling stuff too quickly can be a fatal mistake. I got a really nice scepter for my pally but accidentally sold it and it was gone.

ZXRaziel and itpro like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    coc likes this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    All that does is confirm this is truly a console game that is being ported to PC.

cerebus23 likes this.

11. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    HellSpawn2097 likes this.
  12. Nah, just trash coding. That's all.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Pre purchased the game today. Got to play this so could not wait. 23rd cant come soon enough. :)

15. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    it breaks the game because they are using the old game underneath the new one, whereby the new game uses the positiong and inputs to update the screen. Allowing UW resolutions would break this and also it would break being able to switch back and forth from old to new graphics not only that but in PVP it would give people a much stronger advantage.

Just go into the game and press print screen on your keyboard. Now go into paint and paste the screenshot. You will have 2 screenshots side by side of the new and old version. They just obscure the hidden one from the player viewport and then blend them in whenever you want to switch. Like I said its not just about being able to switch, to try and mimic the same feeling of D2 they are using the original game for character movements, positions, enemy movement, map structures, etc. Its like its emulating the entire original game in realtime all whilst using its own assests. It's actually quite impressive.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Pre-load has started. Downloading... :)

coc likes this.
  18. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    cool. will check my b.net tonight when il get back from work.

im really glad i found a solid deal on that 3060Ti, a new SSD, and also bought a wireless Logitech G502. after like two decades with MX518 it feels like a huge improvement ( not dragging a wire ).

the first week is gonna be intense so i don't plan a lot of sleep time, i hope servers won't be down or very laggy at the first day of release.

Undying likes this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah also got a new ssd sabrent rocket 1tb for w11 and few new games including diablo. Shame i could not find a gpu but my rx580 was running beta 1080p/60fps maxed out so its not an issue for now.

Its gonna be a fun weekend. :)

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Looking forward to hear your thoughts about the game. I liked the beta but I am sad about the lack of UW even though I understand if it's technically not possible.

coc likes this.