My RAM sticks colors are mismatched

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Evronius, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Evronius

Evronius Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
    Long story short. I had a pair of my 32GB kit replaced due to faulty sticks. I got a new one with the same revision and numbers as the old one's and, and the other kit thats already installed (i have 2 kit of RAM on 32GB each. But the new stick does not match the old one in colors and shade in almost every colors. Also The new ones are brighter. Only pure red and green matches on all 4.
    Is this due to that the old ones has been in use for about a year, or is it something else?

The memory is HyperX Fury DDR4 RGB 3200MHz.

2. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    First world problems.

If it dont match in colours, I assume they are different. Maybe someone changed RGB supplier, manufacturer over time, but it still met specification ... because there is no specification.

3. Evronius

Evronius Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
    Yes, i agree with that. But i see my PC every time i use it. So it bugs me when the colors are missmatched.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if OCD about non matching color on ram stick bother you that much go by a new match color set. personal this none issue, seeing i dont beleive in pc cases you can see in to cause they have "transparent" glass side. nor do i like the RGB fad on them and everyone thing else in the case, I can understand them on keyboards cause they can help you see keys at night but that is it.

5. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    4060 ti 8gb
    Hard to imagine you will lose much when selling them.
    Put them up for a +10% price.

6. Evronius

Evronius Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
    I know i have the option to sell them and by new ones. But that doesn't answer my question. I want to know if RGB is prone to degrade on colors, shade and brightness.

7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    It is possible, it could also be the plastic light diffuser that has discoloured over time too, or it could be LEDs from a different manufacturer etc

rflair likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    led not it gneral sould same across manufactures so long as there use the same "exact" colors not so much the plastic the encases the led with age plastic color change, and it could complete difrent type of plastic used cause not all plastic is the same manufacture process

Evronius likes this.