Samsung confirms 970 Evo Plus SSD hardware change, 980 Pro may be affected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's not the 1st time they do that, they even have changed the type of nand on the PRO serie without communicate on it (MLC to TLC at first and QLC on 2to and more recentely then step back to TLC... Samsung consider TLC and QLC as MLC depending from where the wind blow... On pro side things need to be clear (and we paid for that) )

tunejunky likes this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This type of moves are so bad and so lame...

Would it hurt to create a new version and explain buyers the reason for the change?...

I´m already preparing myself to the future news that WD also changed parts in their SN850 NVMEs...

tunejunky likes this.
  4. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    If you change the performance of something, you change the name of it. You add something to the end or change it completely, there's no excuse for this but greed and dishonesty

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    common with certain brands, usually money, not "shortages", like they only have 1 warehouse, with 5 items on the shelf,
    nor do you plan to buy supply stuff "weekly" like your groceries, and ignoring that the pandemic didnt start yesterday, or that its the same for all.

some seem to not care to read.
    literally the FIRST sentence in the manual/warranty booklet(legal things stamped 2020) :
    Samsung reserves the right to change Products/Information/Specifications WITHOUT notice.
    while i dont see it ok, and would prefer something like V1.1 etc, legally they have to do ZERO.

outside that i doubt you will have any chance in court, as those things are sold certain with things like perf/life expectance (5 GB/s, 5y) listed,
    not what controller/nand is used.

CrazY_Milojko likes this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is the same line of thinking that led to smaller portions at the same price for certain groceries.

but it is wrong. they can can simply offer a new model or add a decimal, because this is truly skirting with deceptive advertising.
    WD is being punished as they should be for in that case it was fraud. in the Samsung case they at least can show a spec or two of performance.
    but Samsung is a premium brand where even their "more affordable" models are still premium price points. WD did this in the "Blue" series, but this is Evo.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^^ This. Why risking cannon salvos from the community?! Just launch new revision under the slightly different name.

More then it should lately well known manufacturers are doing this stupidity. Is it that hard to "create" new product under slightly different name, let's say: Samsung 970X Evo Plus ?! Or they just have way too many stored packages and product labels with old name on those...

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Trying to sell the 'same' product made with inferior parts.
    It's like when they changed the recipe for Coca-Cola.
    Can you believe they don't even bother putting the cocaine in anymore ?

CrazY_Milojko and tunejunky like this.
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's still TLC (what Samsung calls "3-bit MLC"). So that didn't seem to change?

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It was not: coca almond is not cocaine (a bit like cannabis sativa is not cannabis to smoke)
    Original recipe: coca almond + cola almond + caramel (to taste sweet and not bitter) + soda water...
    neither coca or cola are in the actual one (so why is it still called Coca-Cola?) and principal ingredient is lemon and citric acid...

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The controler is not the same and so it doesn't give the same perf, it's lower general perf.
    And about the MLC they have used QLC and TLC on the Pro series last year selling them as MLC (nothing more added) at the price of MLC (Twice the TLC or so) and the quality wasn't there.

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

umm cannabis sativa is cannabis to smoke as is cannabis indica.
    but you meant hemp, which is a sub-species.

the real heavy duty drug soda was "Dr. Pepper", which contained over 50mg of cocaine per bottle and had the dosage times as part of the branding - 10/12/4

JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Lots of folks dont seem to understand that it doesnt matter if "you" only change ONE thing,
    changing/new packaging and manuals/upc/Qr codes, this isnt all free.

how many here would be fine, with all those changes (new rev/ new box etc) leading to even if its only a 5$ (retail) increase?
    yeah, than we wont here the end of it that others are cheaper..

14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Ford: “We replaced the V8 in the truck you ordered and paid for with a V6 due to an engine shortage. Sorry, no refunds”

Keep it classy, tech companies.

15. destruya

destruya Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3
    If they change the hardware, it's no longer a 970 Evo Plus. Call it the 970A Evo Plus.

tunejunky likes this.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @umeng2002/destruya
    show me a ssd/nvme retail packaging/website etc, from samsung (used to advertise anywhere on this planet), where the controller is listed.
    right.
    like almost everything else, +80% on this planet will buy the performance (level), not a certain chip,
    the ones that do, know about it.

(so funny how some are stuck on size/cylinder count, which has no no direct relation to its performance.
    most hyper cars can now do about 800-1000/1500 HP out of a V6 hybrid setup.
    part of the reason why brands start switching to use numbers to show perf/power, rather than displacement)

tunejunky likes this.
  17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Manufacturers know exactly what they are doing, and do does the FTC. Rely on reviews to advertise your product, then make silent downgrades. I’m sure it’s illegal even if certain components aren’t mentioned. A civil case exists in the very least.

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The sativa is used for textile and industry as it contain very few THC and is legal in country where the one to smoke is illegal.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @umeng2002
    let me quote the packaging/manual
    "... electronics reserves the right to CHANGE PRODUCTS, INFORMATION and SPECIFICATION WITHOUT NOTICE."
    and thats the case for every computer hw part i bought/sold in the past 20y, that i spend time to check.

and again im repeating myself. you are buying a drive with certain "performance parameters" advertised (transfer rate/ life expectance),
    not with a specific chip/controller, which isnt been mentioned anywhere on the retail box or site.

so yeah, nothing illegal doing it, nor is it rare that companies do it (read: not just samsung).

@rl66
    sativa is a certain strain/plant, and has NOTHING to do with how its used.
    thc levels above 3-4% mean its "weed".
    you can have only 5% thc, and still have ppl get high from effects when consuming it,
    one reason most legally grown hemp plants (not for med/rec use) have less than 4% thc.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Ship of Theseus, anyone?

In related news - I got my new rig being built right now, and hey! Guess what fellow gurus?

That's right, it has got the 1TB 980 evo as the primary...this is gonna be a fun conversation with my builder :)