Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.8.2 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MerolaC, Aug 25, 2021.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Windows 11 performance is good on AMD systems. I wouldn't worry about benchmarks. Personally, I've noticed a big improvement in FFXIV when there are a ton of other players (100+) in the same spot. Make sure all your drivers are updated and any unnecessary background services and apps are disabled.

HK-1 and Mt441PL like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows 11 reduces game performance on Ryzen systems in some scenarios

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/ox0nev/windows_11_and_dx12_performance_issues/

Passus likes this.
  3. I had a similar issue in the past where DX11 games were fine, but other APIs (DX9, 12, VK) didn't work or had bad FPS. In my case, this was because of using Resizable BAR with unsupported graphics drivers. On W11, I had inconsistent results with Oculus that seemingly could also be affected by Resizable BAR, even with supported graphics drivers (would either start-off at low FPS, or only drop the FPS after exactly 25 seconds). So I wonder if any current W11 performance issues could be tied to GPU memory usage and some motherboard firmware interaction.

I haven't gotten around to testing any other games since Oculus doesn't work on W11, but I/O overall seems notably slower with all W11 builds so far (opening programs, copying files; it all takes seconds longer on an NVMe SSD). I can't imagine any games performing better on it currently unless you haven't tweaked a W10 install.

Passus likes this.
  4. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireRX6750ΧΤ

5. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Hard pass. But at least they are being honest.

6. At the very least, the note about driver timeouts with simultaneous video streams and games doesn't affect Oculus Link with a RX 580 (played for hours daily since driver release). I was concerned about this at first.

I imagine the OBS note only matters if you're using GPU encoding (not CPU).

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep. Having experienced said bug.

8. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Even though it's not mentioned in known issues for earlier version of the driver, it happens randomly. I'd imagine if they are disclosing it upfront now, the frequency of occurrence is likely higher.

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  9. RaulR

RaulR Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT AE
    I have the same issue with RX 5700XT. Playing games and watching youtube, netflix at the same time is impossible. Crashes after 15 to 20 minutes. I never had this issue before though with other drivers.

10. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Looks like today's new Dev build addressed that somewhat. This was my L3 (R5 3600) on the previous build,

cachememWin11.png
    and after today's update,

cachememWin11_22449.png

P.O.N. and HD64G like this.

11. AlexDjango

AlexDjango New Member

GPU:
    Raedon 5600
    22000.176 or 22449.1000 ?

12. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    The new Dev build, 22449. The previous was from the dev/Beta168.

13. Cuttler

Cuttler Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8gb
    Fairly positive that driver timeout with video streaming is because of the hardware acceleration bug that they had previously. At least in my case that's how it's been. I had to disable hardware acceleration on everything, including encode/decode video flags (because disabling hardware acceleration in browser settings doesn't disable hardware acceleration for encoding/decoding for some reason) for me to not crash at all on 5700xt on any game i was crashing on while watching Youtube, netflix, hulu, etc, before. I know it notes RX 500 series but vaguely hints it may affect other series, but it's been a problem for me on 5700xt.

Since disabling the hardware accelerated decode/encode video flags in my browser settings, i haven't had an issue at all.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  14. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    mine after update 22449 .1000 L3 cache issue fix so far
    sdsdsss.JPG

15. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Confirmed working.

Wreckfest PC: 1.279508 Patch

Exostenza, Cryio, Undying and 2 others like this.

16. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    After 1 week of usage: finally a stable driver after 8 months, this doesn't have any issue on my end: no driver timeout, no duplicating icons, no black screen or system freezes.

Games run stable and no problem with viewing YT videos or switching task between game <-> mpc-be+madVR <-> Chrome.

17. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Does this Dev build 22449 (fix L3 cache) you saw any gain in performance or was the same as the last build.

18. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Anyone here playing Overwatch with these drivers? I get some odd artifacts that would appear at random and at the same place. They look like some broken shadow.
    I found some old reports that look exactly like mine, even at the same place and shape. but no solution so far. Both screenshots are from different systems. I guess it is a reintroduced bug ?
    The glitch will appear at random and look like some transparent shadow (unlike the 1st screenshot seems like). It seems to only appear (randomly) when shadows are set to "off" (i run all on low). Chill and Freesync activated (if that matters)

***UPDATE + small rant***
    Okay it seems like the issue only appears when shadows are turned off. Turning them on, even on the lowsest setting seem to get rid of the issue. Still stupid tough. I reported it to AMD, but really i doubt anything is gonna happen about that. This is one of the small issues that never might get fixed (just consider that i found around 5-10 people who had the same issue some had it 3-4 years ago.. and don't care about the game anymore.) because "who plays this game without shadows and who even notices a bug that randomly may occur and who reports it in the End?".
    I really like AMD, but these kind of "small and wierd" things i never experienced with NV.
    It seems like if something is bugged on NV you'll notice it hard and clear. But on AMD you'll have these small and nasty bugs that lots of people either don't notice, don't care about or just don't have. Want another example?
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/353916584663802767/?ctp=5
    That issue never got fixed and when you experience it you'll think your GPU is dying. Nobody cares about it since it depends on what setting you are running + MP only.
    I think AMD has a real Quality Control issue. I mean "mostly" their stuff works way better than years ago. But things like crashing radeonsoftware.exe (not TDR) some drivers ago or broken features (like that stupid advisor) and other annoying things still happen way too often.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  19. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Well, I had one black screen where the entire PC locked up with that horrendous buzzing sound while playing Gunfire Reborn and had to do a hard reset. I have since played quite a few other games and a couple long sessions of Gunfire Reborn without issue. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the frame limiter seems to not work for a lot of games with 21.8.2 but other than those two issues everything else has been perfect. One other thing I have noticed is that my junction temperature hovers around 103C while doing a time spy stress test and the edge temperature is around 60C. I don't recall my junction being that high in the past... has anyone else noticed an increase in their junction temperature? That delta is massive; over 40C! I re-pasted with IC Diamond and put washers on the springs to increase mounting pressure relatively soon after getting the card (which was close to when it was released). I wonder if it needs to be redone or this driver is just working the core harder? Anyone have any input on this?

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Not related to driver - have to test Time Spy - but I noticed that after switching from an air cooler to an AIO liquid cooler for the CPU, hot spot temps actually dropped drastically.

It makes sense though as the CPU cooler heat sink used to be right above the graphics card with little clearance in between.
    Now there's space and probably better air flow out of the case so excess heat doesn't build up as easily but evaporates via the back plate.