Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I dare say the disc version will follow if it is not already in the wild.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  3. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    ^ Yeah made a reminder myself for this, I keep wishing we see some new IP from ND, or something new at least. We’ll see.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    PlayStation Showcase 2021

Tune in next Thursday, September 9 at 1:00pm Pacific Time / 9:00pm BST / 10:00pm CEST for a look into the future of PS5. The Showcase will weigh in at around 40 minutes and include updates from PlayStation Studios and some of the industry’s most imaginative developers, for games releasing this holiday and beyond. And stick around after the presentation to get more updates from some of the studio teams featured in the Showcase.

You can watch live on YouTube and Twitch. See you next Thursday!

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  6. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Firmware update on stable any news?

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Seems we are getting a firmware update tomorrow which will enable NVME and 3d Tv Audio. looking forward to that.

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  9. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    @Horus-Anhur

Thanks, just had the update now and looks like the Beta is over and I'm back to the mainstream, a shame I was hoping for a few more changes.

21.02-04.00.00.42-00.00.00.0.1 (September update)

3.1-04.00.01.36-00.00.03.1.1 (Beta 3.1)

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still dont have access to my ps5 as i still in nj, but nice to know when i back 3D audio was finaly added, I do hope Roku finally pushed newer update to my tv to fix the crap 10.0.0 broke :mad:

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I updated the firmware on my PS5 last night and was finally able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 M.2 SSD with heatsink that I bought at the end of July when I hoped I would get into the beta. That didn't happen, unfortunately, so it feels like a frustratingly long wait to finally have a decent amount of storage for my PS5 games.

I've never installed an M.2 NVMe drive before as my PC is too old so doesn't support these faster drives. I also had never had reason to remove the side panels on my PS5 either so taking it off yesterday to access the expansion bay was much harder than I thought. I ended up putting a bit too pressure into removing it such that it slipped and the small clips that hold it in placed ended up putting some nasty scratches on the black plastic innards. Of course, you cannot see these when you replace the panel but it is still annoying me that it happened and I know they are there! My PS5 is no longer pristine and new now!

I thought installing the drive would be easy as well. I mean I'd watched dozens of YouTube videos during the beta on how to install these but managed to mess that up too. I actually thought I had installed the drive properly, tightened the screw then turned on my PS5, only to be asked to complete some extra details for my profile. The console did not prompt me to format the new drive, which I thought was odd because all those videos showed that this is the first thing the PS5 does when you turn it on after fitting the M.2 drive in the expansion bay. I thought that maybe the drive was defective or that the slot on my PS5 was but, thankfully, it turned out that I had just not inserted the drive properly. When it is inserted properly, it sort of pops up a bit and has to be pressed down in order to tighten the mounting screw. That didn't happen the first time. Still, having to take apart the PS5, including unscrewing the base plate again, was extremely annoying and I wished I had tested it first before putting the side panel and base plate back on!

Anyway, my PS5 recognised the drive, prompted me to format (returning a read speed of 6,156 MB/sec) and then I was all good to go. First thing I did, was move around 800 GB of archived PS5 games from my 4 TB external Crucial X6 SSD to the new M.2 drive. This was surprisingly slow and took me about an hour in total. Transferring games from the internal SSD to the M.2 expansion is much faster though but external SSD to internal SSD is noticeably slower. Also, when the PS5 is moving games you cannot do anything else with the console, unlike on my Xbox One X which does all this in the background. I also installed a couple of new PS5 games, Mortal Kombat Ultimate Edition that I picked up cheap on Amazon, and Deathloop. My M.2 drive now has around 980 GB free. I'll likely uninstall some of the older games in time but I just wanted to see how much space all my owned PS5 disc and digital games would take up!

I came across one very annoying issue though with the new firmware which is possibly a bug. Basically, I'd archived Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Resident Evil: Village, both PS5 games, from the console storage to my external drive about a month ago. When I tried to move these to the new M.2 drive they were both greyed out and unselectable with a pop up window stating that I could not move these because they were being copied to the console storage! No they weren't. They were archived on my external SSD! Bizarrely, I could not move *or* delete either game. I, thankfully, found out that by reinstalling both games from disc to the new M.2 drive then they then 'unlock' on the external SSD and can then be deleted. What a strange glitch but then the PS5 is no stranger to bugs and glitches in my experience.

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    would say intresting read but there is no such thing anymore it all video "articles"

that being said i sat and watch both find intresting, with smaller Heat sink and other changes in some aspects it run cooler in others is the same

15. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Brother got really lucky in an online que via Very and secured us a PS5, 2 days later it arrived.

Damn, this thing is big and ugly, nearly as big as the original XB1. However very quiet apart from the disc drive but it doesn't make much of a noise when in use. Currently playing Spiderman Remastered that came with Miles Morales, also got Rift Apart and Ghost of Tsushima DC. Games look and run great, really enjoying the Dual Sense, amazing pad. I'm glad I got one before Christmas. Feel no need for a Series X as I got GP on my PC.

Will look at also upgrading to a 1tb M.2 in the next couple of months.

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I've done that a few times with NVME's. They look like they are fully inserted but they need a little exrtra push. I always think I'm going to break the conector when I do that.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it is HUGE and UGLY imo special being white and that stupid curve chassis that was obviously never ment to be placed horizontal and that stand is crap for horizontal too imo, But it freakishly quiet which lead to fact i actual do hear the coil whine from the system. but world diffrent from how loud the fans where on ps4/pro and alot quiter coil whine wise.. disc drive is actual quiet now unless you are install a game or the first spin upon booting system up, as as i know it still has infuriating every 30 minutes spin the disc up even if system is just on home page or even playing a game that dont even use the disc, just having the disc in the system cause it to spin every 30 min. but atlest now it low speed spin every 30 minutes that you really cant hear.

Though one first thing I did when got the system was turn off trigger intisty crap, did not like nor did i like sliding grind noise when it being used or changed. i sure it can add to game experience to some people, but not for me i find more annyoing then anything

I am glad i got mine, cause there was no way i was gona be able build new pc with similar abilities for price of ps5.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  18. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Oh it's not even in the same universe compared to the Pro. I got the Pro when GOW came out as I just moved onto 4K at that time and even brand new it was loud as hell. Yeah when it's not installing or when revving up, the drive isn't a problem. It's kinda strange that I'm willing to overlook the design of the console because the Pro was so embarrassingly loud.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think going foward consoles are gona look more and more like desktop cases in size too it only way they gona be able to keep temps in check imo, there was time I had ps4 pro, and i returned that for exchance 3 times, before i said not happen. It was just as loud as my base ps4, but with added bonus of the coil whine was so freaking bad there was no way i would be able to over look it.

Now is a ugly ass system that huge has terrible stand for "horizontal" due to that stupid curve panels. but stupidly quiet and the at very lest made the coil whine bearable. would of preferred they fix the coil whine in general seeing it $ .15 part causing it which was same part cause it on pro, but at lest it higher quality one then the pro's. if it was bad as the pros whine I would resold the ps5

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Yeap, turned off the haptic triggers after 10 mins as i am sure i am going to break them, they just feel awful, and you are right about the design, if you nudge it while dusting it just slides right off that so called horizontal pad......but on a plus it is very quiet apart from the noisy disc drive, but not hearing the fan about to explode as with the pro is very nice, this is how the pro should have sounded at all times anyway, Sony should never have gotten away with the pro fan noise.