FSR in unsupported games on Windows: Magpie

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Gromuhl'Djun, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Hey all,

There is this Magpie tool on Github that supports FSR in "unsupported" games.
    Magpie Github Page
    Releases

I've tested it in the following games so far, where I've set the resolution to 1080p on my 1440p monitor.
    Cyberpunk 2077: works, causes reflections to be more grainy.
    Dark Souls 3: works
    Far Cry Primal: works, but turns out this game is CPU limited @1440P :p
    Red Dead Redemption 2 vulkan: doesn't work, haven't tried DX12 yet
    Assassin's Creed Valhalla: works, but valhalla does some wonky things to render the game, so doesn't look much better.
    Witcher 3: works
    Mechwarrior 5: seems to work, but doesn't look any different than 1080p. So blurry.
    Kingdom Come Deliverance: works fine. Very big benefit in fps, went from 70-80fps to 100-120fps. I can't see many upscaling artifacts compared to for example Cyberpunk.

All in all, I think they used a bit too much sharpening, maybe future versions allow us to scale that down a little. Same in ProtonGE in linux, they went from 5 to 2 in sharpening strength for FSR. On linux lots of games look great with FSR. In magpie the option is set to "sharpness": 0.87, I'll have to play around with this.

How to get it to work?

1. Unzip magpie to a folder of your choice.

2. Start it and use the following options.

upload_2021-9-2_11-17-21.png

3. Now start a game, set it to windowed/borderless and a resolution lower than native and press Alt+F11

So I'm curious, anyone else tried this tool and what are your experiences?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I did try this program and Lossless Scaling
    Lossless scaling has an advantage, in that it allows the user to set the resolution scale. This means we can tweak image quality and performance.

They are interesting for what they try to do, but there are two big problems, with both programs.
    For one, some games actually see a performance regression.
    Lossless Scaling also has a mode that forces FP16, which improves performance significantly.

The other issue, and this is a big one, is that these programs don't work with Variable Refresh Rate (G-sync or Free-sync)
    This means that because the game is not synced with the screen, there's a much worse frame pacing.
    The result is tat although the game is running faster, it plays much worse, with more judder and micro stuttering.
    If you are able to set the game's frame rate and refresh rate at the same value, you can fix this. But it's a bit of a hassle.

I know that the dev for Lossless Scaling tried to fix this, he even send me a preview build for testing.
    But it didn't work and he hasn't figured it out yet.
    Considering that Magpie also doesn't work with VRR, seems to indicate it's dev also has the same problem.

Until they fix the problem with VRR, this is just a curiosity, with little practical use.

Reclusive781 likes this.
  3. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    You're right, just tested it. My screen locks @120hz regardless of framerate in game (VRR screen).
    So this is more of a "what if" for FSR. Too bad.

Here's to hoping they can implement FSR in more games, as for image quality I'm more impressed than I thought I would be.

4. Ruzzar

Ruzzar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750 Ti
    Can you help me please to run Far Cry Primal with Magpie, I'm using Magpie and it's running very good but with this game (even with Lossless scaling) when i click any mouse button i get this weird issue.
    [​IMG]

5. Gabor Szabo

Gabor Szabo Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080 10G
    I have the same issue with both scaler app! I tried every Windowed mode in settings but nothing works.

6. Gabor Szabo

Gabor Szabo Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080 10G
    I asked the Magpie developer about this issue and he told me that Magpie doesn't work on windows that are top-most.

7. Gabor Szabo

Gabor Szabo Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080 10G
    I found the solution:

You need to download a tool called "zero dump" to modify properties of the Far Cry window. Start the program, and set the "Disabled" option on. Then press ALT+F11 to scale the window with Magpie and it will work.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Debuggers-Decompilers-Dissasemblers/zero-Dump.shtml

farcry.jpg

Iggy likes this.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I've moved the thread, and stickied it! Good thread!

9. Ruzzar

Ruzzar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750 Ti