Windows 11 arrives on October 5th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2021.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Resizable BAR, but I’m not sure why he can’t enable secure boot with it?

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Probably blaming it for poor performance.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Windows 11 for me has been really sluggish with animations and opening apps and there is a major issue with boost clock that doesn't work regardless of power plan.

fluidz likes this.
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Will they at least make the new start menu - which for some reason is tiny and functionally even crappier than the Windows 10 one - freely resizable with more room for icons and the ability to use the real estate of the "Recommended" section for regular icons with the Recommended stuff turned off before release and fix all the GUI crashing issues it still has? I somehow highly doubt it.

I somehow hope they will bring Windows 11's improved Windows Mixed Reality Settings to Windows 10 as well so one can turn off annoyances such as WMR being loaded on startup, when the sensor is covered, etc.. and maybe also the Auto HDR feature, but I'm afraid we're SOL in that regard. :(

5. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    In my case, enabling REBAR also disables Secure Boot (on my MSI z490 Gaming Carboon WIFI) but I can re-enable it (plus enable TPM 2.0) and REBAR still works, dunno why it disables it in the first place.

Exodite and Truder like this.
  6. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    So is 10.... We don't want the same or worse, we want better.

Sylencer likes this.
  7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pag...-performance-amd-and-nvidia-benchmarks,1.html

I'm not sure what you're getting at? I'm stating that enabling Resizable BAR disables secure boot, so if we want Windows 11, rebar will have to be disabled, hopefully MSI and other motherboard manufacturers will patch this?

Hmm, maybe it's a minor bug then, I'll give this a go.

Edit: @lukas_1987_dion Yep that did the trick, very peculiar. Secure Boot, TPM and Resize BAR all on.

Ignore my previous posts.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  8. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    Will it be possible to upgrade from 22000.xxx Insider Preview Dev to RTM when it's out? I know a clean install is best, but is it possible?

9. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Is 11 as messy as 10 with 2-3 different controlpanel designes?

Windows 10: on the surface the design looks like 10, but a layer in reverts back to something like windows 7, going further into menues revert to Win XP look.
    They slowly redesigned the control panel during 5 years, to make it look windows 10 all the way, but they never finished and it was just annoying to have things change around, during the slow never finishing transition.

My testing pc is a phenom 955 or a Intel 5820k, with a GPU from the same time, some say it is not going to work and some say it is fine but update is not working.

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Windows 11 settings page is greatly improved compared to 10, with more options brought over from control panel into settings and organised a lot better too but yes there is still Settings and Control Panel and many other dialog boxes *SPAM* back as far as windows goes.

My only gripe so far with Win 11 is that programs on the taskbar always combine and are icons only (I prefer only combine when taskbar is full) and, the fact that the taskbar can no longer be placed at different parts of the screen (On my second monitor I prefer the 2nd task bar to be vertically oriented at the right edge of the screen).

TLD LARS likes this.

11. Smokey25

Smokey25 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 EVGA FTW+
    Smart step how they require Bios options to be changed,for lots of people that dont even know what Bios even is. Im sure this wont give lots of issues for people,oh no it wont..

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    J effing C!

Not that I needed another reason to stay away from 11 but combining labels on the taskbar is an abomination that must be cleansed with fire. And I'd be much obliged if I could choose a start menu and task bar that are text only., no icons. But that's probably too much to ask. :(

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    With games that get CPU bound (1080p) and apparently real bad with multiple CCD's.
    Majority of games do run fine, tiny fps differences between W10/W11 is within margin of error.

What I experience with W11 is better input response with Game Mode and HAGS enabled compared to W10, 11 finally got a list of applications/games detected and allows users to set priority.
    Enabling HDR globally with the addition of Auto HDR also works seamless, with W10 I had monitor input change popups from the monitor several times when booting into the OS, that annoyance is gone with W11.

Also got used to that the start menu is simplified, but I still dislike that I have to scroll trough app pages, on W10 I could have all pins displayed sorted into 3 groups, now they take 3 pages, that is not very desktop friendly.
    Must say that the big tiles like on the Windows 10 start menu also are better for people with visual disabilities.
    Making the taskbar unmovable is another minus, we got an 85" CTOUCH display where it is moved to the top so that certain kids can't mess around with it, not quite sure why Microsoft felt the need to dictate where it should be either.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I don't even have lubricant ready microsoft give me a break.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

[​IMG]

I dont think Microsoft can understand anything with such horrid Russian accent :rolleyes:

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well, I'm not too worried about performance but more that it's long since the focus was on to create a great desktop UI experience.

It's very easy to get the impression that many major companies have really no idea what they are doing.

nick0323 likes this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm so confused.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Thread and power scheduler in Windows 11 is annoying, after upgrading the Nvidia driver Windows decided to go even harder on CPU load when basically doing nothing.
    Surfing the web CPU temperatur went up with 15-25C and noticed +35C frequently in games, my 5800x on Windows 10 sits at 34-45C when browsing and gaming those same games instead of 11's 50-70C.
    So back to 10 and TPM got disabled for just in case.

Desktop experience is a mixed bag, some needed fixes and a some unnecessary changes, plus the FORCING instead of giving choices.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You've been using AutoHDR for years?

Also what exactly is unwise about installing Windows 11? By your own admission it's identical but I'll get an additional 5 years of support by simply pressing an update button.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is not the case. I have SecureBoot (also using it with a UEFI Arch Linux installation, with the boot loader on the same EFI partition as Windows 10), and TPM enabled, and ReBar and CSM is off. There are no issues between those systems. The only thing I need to change is to add the new Linux kernel binary to the allowed boot images, if I manually compile a new kernel.