Windows 11 won't update after installation with unsupported CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ero Ruz

Ero Ruz Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Let's be honest, after the repeated problems people had with Win10 updates:
    [​IMG]

3. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    I am wary about this. Secure boot is the cancer prohibiting many laptop and pre-build (from HP/Acer etc) systems to install anything else but Windows on their system.

Imho MS with Window 11 has set it's eyes to lock all other OS from the PCs and permanently keep the spyware running.

I will say this again. Dump windows try Linux especially distros like Manjaro (KDE desktop is easy to get to for Windows Users) which is rolling distro with up to date kernels and drivers all the time.

Everything runs without issue. Especially games, if you have them on Steam they run all the same, just run Steam and download them.
    Only some ancient rare games require to use PlayOnLinux (in my case out of 400 games, only Trackmania 2 doesn't run through Steam)
    Give it a try nothing to lose. :)

FYI several CPU heavy games, run 20% faster on the 3900X in Linux than Windows 10 due to the better scheduler.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Atleast it's just a CPU, those are still going for normal prices.

Fediuld likes this.

5. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    And AMD 5000 series is discounted these days, because there is stock and the new ones with the 3d-cache is coming soon :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Most nonsensical move ever from MS. No updates then why even allow it to be installed on older systems? What the hell is happening at MS?

Fediuld, Maddness and anticupidon like this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Preach it, guru.
    However, the grim reality is different. People want change, yet hate and abhor the changes.

On the other hand, that CPU list can somehow be circumvented? Where is the check routine, in the bootloader, the OS itself or a special registry calling the update server?
    Not that I want to update Windows on older CPU myself.

Fediuld and schmidtbag like this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Watch Microsoft change this in the future.

anticupidon and Airbud like this.
  9. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    Microsoft made Win11 more secure requiring TPM and Secure Boot
    Microsoft also won't let you get security and drivers update for your old PC
    Somehow I don't feel secure at all

abdulhkeem, Fediuld and Airbud like this.
  10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    is probably just a buggy update installer and they forgot that the function that check cpu version wasn't reused but duplicated in the codebase.
    Because maybe install team and update team don't talk to each other....
    This won't get to retail.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I can see it now... "scores of PCs infected with ransomware on Windows 11 systems that cannot be updated".

abdulhkeem and Fediuld like this.
  12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    They are going to have to back down from this. Between the people that use this as an exploit to stop windows updates permanently and the bad look of "following the rules is more important than security" this wont be a permanent policy.

I don't expect them to stick to allowing only some generation 7 CPUs to install Windows 11 either.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    microsoft won't deny windows 11 updates just because the cpu's old.

14. sayem57

sayem57 Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX2080Ti amp
    I have ryzen 1st gen and installed win 11. Its updating fine for me for now...

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's exactly the problem: I currently am running Arch+KDE as I write this and have been using that combination for the better part of a decade, but familiarity is critical. Too much familiarity and people expect their OS to run like Windows, then get frustrated when it doesn't. For example, nearly every time I've ever set up Linux for someone (including technically savvy people), they always at some point try to go to a website, download a program they want to install, and double-click on the installer (sometimes the Windows version), and come to me about some problem that occurs after. I'm sure both of you understand the problem with this. It's hard to break old habits and people retaliate against change; it explains a lot about the us-vs-them mentality regarding political and social issues. The thing about KDE is it's similar enough to Windows that people don't feel completely lost, but that familiarity causes people to be frustrated and overwhelmed when things aren't where they otherwise would have been. It's hard for noobs to read up on tutorials, because if you're trying to look up how to use KDE, something like Kubuntu is not going to be set up the same way or install software the same way as Manjaro. If you look up tutorials on Manjaro, then some might get confused if the tutorial is showing a different desktop environment. Linux's diversity is both its blessing and its curse.

Linux isn't and maybe never will be suitable to the average user, especially not users who dislike change. Anyone who has ever (at any point) hated or avoided Windows 10 or 11 for reasons outside of performance, compatibility, or security are the kinds of people who should not be using Linux. Going on a bit of a tangent: the only thing about W10 that I thought was especially stupid was the new control panel. It was so blatantly half-baked, where it wasn't a drop-in replacement to the old one but the old one didn't have 100% of the features you needed, so it was this hideous inconsistent mishmash; seemed very user-unfriendly and unpolished to me. However, it isn't bad enough for me to think W10 should have been avoided.
    As much as I'd really like that to be true, it just blatantly isn't. Many games that require 3rd party DRMs or anti-cheat still do not play. Things are getting better but the home page of protondb.com is already enough proof that not everything runs without issue.
    I know of people who haven't yet switched to Linux because 1 key program they depend on doesn't work, or performs way too slow. Thanks to Valve, progress has immensely improved, but Linux can't be a drop-in replacement to just anybody, yet.

EDIT:
    I would like to point out that I personally don't run Windows on any of my PCs. I don't need Windows for anything and I don't miss it one bit. I find Linux to objectively be a better OS. But my anecdotes and feelings don't account for everyone.

sykozis, Fediuld, Keitosha and 4 others like this.

16. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    My dad still has my old Phenom X4 desktop running Windows 10. He uses it for Google chrome + Outlook only (but a less powerful Chromebook is his main PC now).
    My mom this year used it for some language she got via Zoom.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's called a "hardware baseline". Linux did it years ago with kernel 2.4. I would say it's about time. They obviously set a baseline (CPUs with sideload attack mitigations, TPM, DX12 GPUs, solid state storage) that is necessary for them to have the thing being able to work in the future.

I understand what kind of perfect clickbait all these threads are, but if you don't have the hardware, you can still keep using Windows 10 which will be perfectly usable for the next half decade almost.

You assume that you will be able to actually install the final ISO. I'm really curious on what they'll do about that.

18. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    Some industrious guy/gal will be bored one day and find a "work around" to the WU issues on Win 11 with older cpus. Right now I have Win11 running on a Intel 5005u cpu with zero issues and updates regularly so it must be something they plan on instituting in the future.

19. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    why even allow install if you won't update the software, leaving it more buggy and unstable... just block the instalation then or let them switch back to W10 IF this is the final decision.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's a little funny when you think about it:
    Windows 10 was a nice overall evolution to Windows 7 and 8.1, yet people even today still vehemently refuse to upgrade.
    Windows 11 overall doesn't seem to have many noteworthy improvements at all, yet people are upset that they can't upgrade.

Reminds me of cats that scratch at a door so you can let them through, but then you open it and they just walk the other direction. They don't really want to go through, they just want the option to do so.