Geekbench of Intel Core i7-12700 Matches the Ryzen 7 5800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 25, 2021.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    If they do release Zen 3 V-Cache it will definitely be for AM4, because AM5 requires the complete new I/O die with the DDR5 memory controller, USB4, etc.

Zen4 is AM5 with all new I/O

2. stampedeadam

stampedeadam Member

GPU:
    2080ti sc
    Anybody else not give two shits about the "efficiency cores" on what are supposed to be performance desktop parts? Give me another "big core" and/or more cache in its place!!!

doorspaulo likes this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've explained the benefits multiple times, including at least once to you. What doesn't make sense to me is why so many people (not necessarily you) insist it isn't a good idea for desktops.
    So long as you're running Windows 10 or Linux 4.0+ (maybe even something older), the scheduler should have sufficient competence to utilize the little cores, since both OSes already have implementations due to ARM. It will take some time before the benefits really kick in, but the same can be said of every CPU technology. This is a necessary way forward.

I don't know what differentiates Zen3+ but no matter what way you look at it, I don't think it should be AM4:
    * If the only differences are things like DDR5 support or an IO chip with different capabilities, then it wouldn't be compatible with AM4 anyway.
    * If the only difference is just smaller transistors, I don't see that being worth preserving a dead socket. It's not like AMD is struggling to sell anything.
    * If there are changes more significant than a die shrink but less significant than DDR5, then it would be another headache of BIOS updates, which nobody wants to deal with for an EOL motherboards.

VIA:
    [​IMG]
    (Yes, VIA, you are)

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  4. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    I mean... this is why I didn't believe the initial 12900K leak where it was scoring higher than the 5950X.

So you mean to tell me that the 12700k can't beat the 5800X, but the 12900K magically, with only an extra 4 efficient cores added on, can SOMEHOW beat a CPU with twice as many cores/threads as the 5800X? Nah. Doesn't add up. xD

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    is geekbench aware of the 4 little cores ?...from what it seems is that 8cores 16 threads + 4 small cores are 2% slower than the 5800x ? so the 4 extra little cores is there to cover up for the multithread ? , is geekbench not using em at all so they just sit around? , on the other hand the cpu might be strictly constraint on 65 watt tdp so everything remains on the 3 ish ghz range to stay there .. and with unleashed restraints that can jump to 95 or even 125 tdp and those score shoot right up ..... so what case of the above is it ? i guess we have to wait for the release and review !

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Most likely the little cores were doing nothing. If the little cores were being used too, the performance would be abysmal compared to the 5800X. Intel has some catching up to do but not that much.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    yeah i suspect the little cores where not used too ... if they where this is not looking good . but we simply do not know yet

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Certainly...It's easy to be suspicious when you see results for just one benchmark...;) Caveat Emptor.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    This runs cool (unlike the 5800x) and is priced well and we have a solid CPU.

10. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Yes the AM4 platform is a dead platform, but it's a very well known platform. Adopting a BIOS for it shouldn't be that hard especially it the only change will be V-Cache.
    If they do release Zen 3+ and release it on AM5, then I don't see the relevance, since Zen4 will come out shortly after. Personally I would consider Zen 3+ on AM4 but if
    launched on AM5 I would wait until Zen 4 before deciding what to do. If Zen 3+ with v-cache gives the performance uplift everyone is expecting (>20%) then the Zen 4 launch
    might not be all that impressive.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    i7 12700K comes with 12 cores, 8+4 and 20 threads, so 12/20.
    Max turbo at 5Ghz for a single and 4.7Ghz for all 12 cores. 125-228W.

Exactly, heat is the big downside of the 5800x, it can be controlled with tweaking but not as easy as with Intel CPU's where you just enable speed-stepping, AMD definitively could learn something there instead of keeping on insisting that it can take the heat.
    We all know that heat equals shorter lifetime and increased power usage, so bit of an sad excuse from AMD and their fanbase to look away from it while been part of the bashing on Intel CPU's with high temperatures in the past.
    I got mine running fine with low temperatures after hours of reading, investigating and tweaking, never ever had to do that with an Intel CPU, just using a proper cooler was enough to gain control and even have the CPU to lower frequency while using the performance power plan.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    In theory, you're right. But if AMD never planned to have these Zen3+ models on AM4 then there could potentially be issues getting existing motherboards to boot up properly.
    I agree, though they also released Steamroller on AM4. From what I heard, Zen3+ isn't even official, regardless of socket.
    This is very true, though, with v-cache, it doesn't matter which socket it's on, the performance impact would make Zen4/AM5 models not as attractive to upgrade to. Motherboard manufacturers in particular are not going to be happy about reducing their sales because of old chipsets retaining popularity.

13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

and not a few at Nvidia planning for an ARM future for mainstream cpu and perhaps a few "top secret" projects that synergize existing assets...

14. Toreslee

Toreslee Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Gaming X tri
    tell that to AMD GPU fan girls.

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    if only all dead plafroms were like am4.....
    and btw intel's 65w means absolutely nothing 10900F is 65w and it'll chug over 200w

tough but not unfair

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I got the 5900x to draw 350w, and it says 105w. Full stock 5900x draw 142w in cinebench. Just saying..... ;)

The funny part is that 5900x stock is hotter than 11900k with the same cooling :D I tested with Ek watercooling with 360 radiator.

17. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    That big IO die, made in 12nm, does no favor to Ryzen.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    what does 11900k draw in cinebench
    220w ? 250w ? for 70-75% of 5900x's performance ? at the same price ?

that is just sad.

105 to 140 is not 65 to 220

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Non of the cpu's are sad. They do work great in games and programs.
    Maybe you are sad with no money to buy a cpu? Feels bad man....

20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    People who purchase/build multiple rigs, or buy the latest and greatest by selling used hardware for their withering e-peen are even more sad as far as I know. Their lifetime isn't quite full. Feels so generic, with no purpose or goals.....