Nvidia anticipates that demand for GPUs will continue to outstrip supply far beyond 2022.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    True, to an extent, I kept 780's SLI for 7 years but that was 3 years too long (and that was with my 1440 screen). Playing newer games stressed the cards out and they became very noisy every time I played a newer game

2. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I paid £900 for my ASUS Rog Strix 3080 OC when I bought a new gaming computer after 7 years. You don't have to be a miner or a millionaire to be able to buy a new gaming computer every 5-7 years. Plan to upgrade the 3080 in about 3-4 years time, the rest of the gaming computer spec will last 7-8 years

3. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    7-8 years is an absurdly long time. If GPU's are going to stay so expensive that you have to basically wait 1/8th of your entire lifespan to replace the whole PC because the GPU takes up too much budget, then PC gaming is definitely going to die, lol.

Backstabak likes this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's a principle. I won't buy anything from scalpers or pay scalper prices to shops. That 900 pounds for ASUS Rog Strix 3080 OC hasn't existed for a long time now. That card is something like 1500 or 1600 euros over here. And not available anyway. When 3060 Ti first appeared, the price was between 470 and 600 (for the most outrageous models) euros over here. That didn't last long. The price quickly jumped a few times to reach 850 euros and over. The extra 400 euros in the price is only air. The card is still worth 500 euros, but somehow you are paying 900 euros for it. Sure, I could buy it without being a millionaire, but I'd need to be a millionaire to think so little of money that I wouldn't be bothered by basically paying 400 euros for absolutely nothing.

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If they are already making a killing as far as profits go why over produce to meet demand and run the risk of over stocking before the next gen

Undying likes this.
  6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Correct thread title: Nvidia anticipates far higher profits due to increased prices and margins far beyond 2022.

The Goose likes this.
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that there is no extra capacity to order. Its not even the problem of miners (although they don't help), its just that due to covid there is far higher demand for personal electronics to work from home and for personal entertainment. Everyone is just over reliant on TSMC, because they are really the best. Hope there is no war between the two Chinas or this shortage will never end.

Btw, I see better availability of NVIDIA cards than AMD in the local eshops, albeit for rather high prices.

GoldenTiger and ManofGod like this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'd love to buy a new nvidia video card to be honest but the lowest priced nvidia video card available where I live is the GTX 1050 which is... well it's not really a medium range video card now is it and also does not have a medium range video card price seeing as it's now going for nearly $400 and also it's not a new video card, it was released in 2016.... it's also less powerful than what I already have.

There really isn't an upgrade path for someone with an RX 470 that cost $279.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You have to start looking at the used market. Nvidia does have better options there than amd. Rx5000 series are mining beasts and 6000 series as well as rtx3000 are just overpriced. That said there is some nice deals on used pascal gpus like the 1070 or even the turing 1660. Both are much faster than rx470.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It might be something I will be thinking about seriously next year if there are no medium range video cards available by then.... especially with the new stalker coming out.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So, miners still buy everything then? The only time in history demand was higher than supply was the mining boom of 2017, so no: gaming isn't what's raising the prices.
    Most gamers buy a GPU for 2 or 3 years, some less some more. Those GPUs will find usage on family, friends or even sold for continuos gaming on other people PCs.
    Mines on the other hand buy hundreds or thousands of GPUs, those are the problem.

Keitosha likes this.
  12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    None of the major chip manufacturers have capacity to spare. Even GF, despite dropping out of the nm race, was apparently running at full capacity a few months ago, according to a documentary I watched. It's not like most cars would even need 7nm chips, yet the car makers couldn't get enough manufactured. Bosch very recently finished a fab of their own so that they can reliably supply car makers with chips. So, it's not only over-reliance on TSMC that's the problem, though of course it's also a problem. If GF had a 7nm process as well, at least somewhat competitive with TSMC and Samsung, things would look different.

13. ampVSamp

ampVSamp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 TUF/24GB
    Welp… glad I got my hands on a 3090 in December. My 980Ti lasted me 3 architecture cycles, though admittedly I couldn’t play at 4K anymore. Hopefully the 3090 lasts two full cycles with good 4K performance until the 5000s in 2024.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

there was capacity @ Samsung who had the initial contract when it was issued. TSMC has massive capacity, which allowed Nvidia to fill an additional order. mind you, that order was made and completed despite the massive amounts of iPhone, AM4, RX 6xxx, and Qualcomm being filled in normal order.
    Nvidia paid the price demanded and the LHR are available today.

you were correct in the issue of reliance, but that's only because TSMC is reliable. and they have the best tech at the lowest operating price. it was always assumed TSMC would get a bite of Nvidia just because Samsung prioritizes capacity for itself.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, when yields suck, and you just can't make very many, the demand is sure to outstrip supply every time..;)

16. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    TSMC is so good that everyone needs them to make the most advanced chips and what I have read so far only stated that they don't have extra capacity to sell for the next couple years, which is why they are also building new fabs. My point was targeted at your initial statement that said that Jensen could order more fab capacity, which I find weird. Or well he could order more, its just not going to help current situation a lot.

17. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, auto industry is really getting big on the chips and its only going to be worse. New cars are full of electronics and its going to be even worse with more electric cars. E.g. EU now makes plans to ban seles of the internal combustion engine cars and wants to replace them with electric only by 2035. That's going to be massive investment into infrastructure alone, which would also require a hefty amount of silicon for control.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Probably closer to 2025 for RTX5000 series.... Rumors put launch of RTX4000 in late 2022/early 2023.....so NVidia would have to be prepping RTX5000 for production, as they're launching RTX4000.....which doesn't make good business sense.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My feeling is, NVidia will keep gaming supply below requirements to keep demand and pricing up.
    They can tweak this on the fly by feeding more supply to miners (not as gfx cards) and slowing gaming card shipments.
    Sad.

20. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Nvidia is trying to do the opposite to what you are thinking actually, they have to make sure more RTX card go into the hands of gamers, so that they will have long term competitive edge with RT/DLSS.
    Proof? LHR lineup are consistently selling for 300usd less than non-LHR on the market. Furthermore Ampere is gaining popularity very quickly in Steam Hardware Survey, even faster than Pascal.

Maddness likes this.