MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SEAHAWK X 10G LHR with integrated water-cooler starts selling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness and HawaiianBrian like this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's the model I originally wanted. Too bad these water cooled ones are always released so late.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The aio gpus should be avoided imo.

4. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    May I ask why? Thanks.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    For the same reasons as cpu aio. The mounting difficulties, pump issues, noise and longevity.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You are right about those things but the positive sides are much more stable clocks, potentially better OC and most likely way lower fan sound. The downside of this generation is the very restricted power limit but with a good BIOS I believe such a card can really fly.

Undying, tunejunky and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i wait for the release of the open loop version with a waterblock.
    currently have liquid devil rx6800xt, but have had the 1080EK
    i'm good with tools etc... but after i put a block on the Radeon VII i realized i wanted the warranty and as close to plug and play as you can get on an open loop.
    almost pulled trigger on 1080 Seahawk but friend got one and it was too loud and the hoses too long for my liking.

8. adonay

adonay Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT
    My 1080 seahawk is still working fine and in daily use in my daughters computer. I actually think that is one of the best gpus i have ever had

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i personally prefer aircoolers i will trade a bit lower clocks to avoid extra potential failing points (( namely the pump maybe a leak i know rare ...but still ... or even a bad batch of aio *coughs * enermax )) ...they look neat though :p

tunejunky likes this.
  10. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I've got a better reason why, because you need 360mm or 280mm at worse for a 300+ gpu and the pump needs to be really good too
    failure to do so and you're at the fringe of air cooling, no point really
    I used an AIO for the cpu until they couldn't keep up (threadripper 3960x) and once I watercooled the cpu, the gpu followed one year later because why would you want a 80°C backplate and air cooling venting 60°C+ air in your case for +20°C temp on the gpu and vram...no point
    the real cost of custom loop btw aren't the blocks it's the damn fittings >< don't be fooled
    p.s.
    I had cpu aio for the last 15 years never had leaks or problems (just don't buy that threadripper one that creates goo into your system)

tunejunky likes this.

11. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    What's the point of making these vaporware releases? I mean, its already sold out. If it ever existed at all.
    Why bother?

12. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    I've had many over the years. Never a issue with one of them.(within warranty/ or out of)... Corsair of course.

Bizarre you would think its easer to install a giant air cooler/custom loop over a little puck sized aio.
    Nothing is easier.

13. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Sorry, I'm confused, the last sentence of your post says 'I had a cpu aio for the last 15 years never had any leaks or problems', are you using AIO for your CPU or have you switched to a complete water-cooled computer? I had a TRI GTX 580 complete WC gaming computer two computers ago but switched to Corsair CPU AIO's for the last two computers. A 280 in the last one, a 360 in the latest which I bought last November.
    I think the latest 3080's with GPU radiators are quiet with big enough radiators to be effective, I read that earlier GPU AIO's tended to be noisy with a single fan radiator.

14. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I believe the latest gen of GPU AIO's are much quieter probably due to their having much bigger radiators and quieter fans. The custom air-cooled 3080's like my Strix 3080 OC are quiet & simple and present no additional complications re mounting etc. I use a CoolerMaster H500 Mesh case (perfect if I could also swop top glass panel for a mesh one lol) and I wouldn't be able to fit a 280 or 360 AIO GPU radiator in the rear but I guess it could be mounted behind the two 200mm front case fans.
    Haven't had noise, pump issues or longevity problems with the two Corsair CPU AIO's I've had, so far. The Corsair 280 ran without probs for 7 years.

15. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Surely the easiest to install is the giant air-cooler then the AIO with the custom loop by far the most expensive & complicated? That is the impression I've gained through having a TRI GTX 580 full custom loop gaming computer followed by two with AIO CPU's. This view is affirmed by watching TouTube videos of computers being built using all three methods of cooling

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    In 2008 i brought the scythe ninja 2 i used it up to 2012 on my phenom 2 720 , then my brother used it and the phenom till 2018 , in 2020 a friend of ours (college student ) her outdated core 2 duo broke down dead mb ... Poor thing had no pc for the college essays , so we pretty much gave her the whole package free (mb / phenom/ ddr2/ninja2) ... That aircooler still cools like it is day one ... Few re-pastes in between ! How many aios can claim they are working like their first day after 13 years ?

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    5 Years lifetime, after that or even before the cooling performance starts degrading.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

and the liquid loses volume by evaporation through cheap hoses.

Venix likes this.