Nvidia anticipates that demand for GPUs will continue to outstrip supply far beyond 2022.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    time to buy a console then,need no favors from nv

Keitosha and Silva like this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Enough people are willing to pay the bloated prices, so obviously AIBs and shops aren't going to drop the prices. For those of us who find the scalper prices too outrageous, options are few. Intel isn't traditionally one to compete by lowering prices, but since they are beginning from 0% market share, maybe they will. Then it would only be up to the shops. If Intel wanted to gain a foothold by selling for a more reasonable price, but shops say "haha, no" and set the price as high as AMD and Nvidia cards, there's little Intel could do about it.

tunejunky likes this.
  4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    That will set the stage for $1000 Lovelace midrange cards...

Undying likes this.

5. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    PC gaming has been great since it started. The way things are going with pricing, I think what will happen for me is other things like new stand alone VR headsets and consoles will catch my attention and I'll just get more involved with those things and leave PC gaming behind. I don't see the value in $1200+ for any video card considering what other things will do for me that I can spend that money on.
    Also, if what Nvidia says is true about selling record volume and they still can't catch up with demand, then the demand is clearly still coming from miners. You can't satisfy miners with any number of GPUs because they just keep buying more. Gamers typically buy one every couple years or so and that's it. I see mining videos where the guy says he's looking to expand his farm with more GPUs as soon as they're available etc etc. This is like a power virus that just stresses the system to the max, but the system in this case is the supply chain. More fabs and more volume can't fix this. You can triple the supply and it won't be enough by far. Seems like an interesting predicament that PC gaming is in. Mining will kill the PC gaming industry.

Silva and fredgml7 like this.
  6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I'm seeing plenty of Nvidia GPU's in the shops now. They're starting to overflow and retailers have begun to lower prices again due to the overstock and nobody buying them. Looks to me like demand has been met.

OnnA likes this.
  7. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    My next "GPU" is going to be a PS5. I've never been a fan of the console's rigid ecosystem, but the PC market is in the worst state that I've seen in my life. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel anytime soon for PC.

Keitosha, sykozis and Silva like this.
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    3060 Ti for 6 hundrish at seems to be the BB atm

I will not upgrade to anything bellow 3080 perf. So like... 4070

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    GPUs are not essential in our lives. As the time goes by everything will get back to normal until then there are many older games to finish.

I say frack the current gpu market and be patient for rdna3, Intel arc and hopper. Good times ahead! ;)

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I see. Over here there isn't still plenty of stock. You can basically find in stock a few brands/models of most GPUs (AMD and Nvidia), but the models available change over time, with the majority of models remaining at zero stock at all times. Prices, however, aren't dropping at all, so I reckon the shopkeepers here believe there are still enough miners or rich customers willing to pay scalper prices. The AIBs did raise their own prices as well, even considerably, during the height of the mining craze. I'm not sure the AIBs have lowered their own prices at all, so there's a certain limit the stores can't go below anyway, to reach the price levels we had before the miners ruined everything.

11. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    This is absolutely nuts. I still have faith that things will get better. Prices will indeed drop because people are not going to pay these ridiculously high scams forever. End the end all this is going to do is hurt companies and ruin tech markets because of this quick buck!

I truly believe there is a group of individuals that see this and are doing something about it. The silicone lack of production isn't helping.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I can easily survive without a GPU. Got tons of things to do besides gaming which in all honesty does not figure as prominently in my PC time as before.

fredgml7, Embra and Kaarme like this.
  13. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Well I'm into month 3 of city-wide lockdown and I'm thankful I have a 3090 and an OLED TV :D, if this virus couldn't stop mutating again and again we could be in a very long lockdown world wide.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah. If my current, long in the fan blade video card dies, I'll just dig up an even more ancient card, barely able to run Win10 desktop, and be done with it. The stores can keep selling their cards to miners and millionaires if that's what makes them happier. Maybe I'd write a letter to a member of the EU parliament, asking if they really intend to do nothing about the cancer called crypto currencies.

Keitosha, sykozis and fredgml7 like this.
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    is why I love my Intel HD. I can still rock too many good games to mention, even without a dedicated GPU

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Translation, we at Nvidia are quite happy charging $1000 for medium range video cards and selling everything because of Miners.

Keitosha and Silva like this.
  17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I expect the price will be be even higher with this announcement.

18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    yup they did drop
    from stupid to unreasonable.
    only two more drops like this and we'll be able to buy them at a bit too much.

how is what I said a goodbye ?
    i said one should buy a console instead of waiting for gpu price drops.
    if you don't wanna see my posts so badly you're gonna need to leave first.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Keitosha, RavenMaster and tunejunky like this.
  19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I agree. The current state of things sucks for anyone that has a card die on them though.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    jens right about the supply chain but neglected to mention the simple fact that he can increase the fab order.
    granted with the supply chain still noodling out the issues related to covid, but nevertheless even if a larger order took more time to execute it would address demand.

the AIB's are more of a culprit as they think mining is the best thing to happen to the (relatively) stagnant sales of desktop gaming. they are fine with the higher profits from things like gpu coolers that have fixed costs and cheap to make fans. and custom pcb's just make things more lucrative when they have no control over the end cost to the customer.

the real problem causing Nvidia to not radically increase the fab order is their desire to remain the high end in the marketplace. that's why they've started with an unreasonable MSRP. and because of that they love their product being in demand and the limited quantity keeps it in the news.

AMD is doing the opposite with the RX 4xxx. their prices are associated with new technology and new uArch (at msrp) they've radically increased their fab orders gen to gen and currently have the largest fab order at TSMC behind Apple's new iPhone. it will be months before all is said and done but at least they're responding to demand by increasing production.