Horizon Zero Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Your mouse polling rate can actually be a factor in this issue.

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Somebody please tell me this game will soon start picking up in regards to the story. I just fired this up just over a week ago. The visuals are stunning and that is what keeps me playing. The dialog? ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

I just completed the War Chief Trail quest. I know this is an old thread for an old game. I wish there was a technical contribution to add but the game has been patched and now it plays well.

Another reason why I may be getting bored is because I spend so much time farming and looking at the scenery. lol. I'll power through and see how things progress.

3. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    I noticed this also. But like you said... Power through. It does kinda start off slow. Lots of side quests and leveling to do but after that, when you start getting deep into the story quests, it does get better and remains visually stunning.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Ok that's great. I am extremely impressed with the HDR rendering. When I enabled this the game turned into a live action photo lol.

The lighting and foliage is extremely impressive. The textures of the characters clothing is done very well. Guerrilla Games needs to step it up a bit with the facial animations lol. The PC version's overall visuals has indeed spoiled me.

MaXThReAT likes this.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The story was quite interesting, especially once you get more into it. I was wondering what the hell happened and what year it actually was for the better part of the game. It does pick up quite significantly eventually. Although, I should warn you right away that there are no choices, you have a very linear, albeit interesting (at least for me) story that you can experience.

Gameplay was rather nice for me, although I really hated that the controls were obviously set up for controller and you could only equip 4 bows/slings at the time. Changing them wasn't long but definitely tedious.

Graphics were nice, although I didn't really care that for it. Although I was happy it ran without much of an issue for me at release.

6. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Yes story was the engine behind the game. The secondary characters are a litle blend, but Aloy is avery emphatic.
    I think that the story keeps you interested but it unfold at a certain point very quickly in the revealing its secrets.
    I hope the sequel gives us the chance to become more interacted with the world.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't necessarily mind the linear story, provided its a good story. Games used to have a linear story all the time and it was fine too, even today you have games with linear story and it works, again if that story is nice. Maybe they can add a bit of choice in some regard, but as I've said before, I would rather they fixed the controls, because swapping bows all the time was probably the biggest annoyance for me. But most of all, I hope they do produce it for PC as well (and without much delay), as I rather enjoyed it and I'm not going to buy PS for it.

TheDigitalJedi and pedropaulo like this.
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Horizon Zero Dawn for PC – Version 1.11

discussion
    Hello all,

We’re happy to announce we’ve just released Patch 1.11 for our PC players. Here’s what this patch contains:

Graphical Improvements

• Added Nvidia’s DLSS upscaling technology.

• Added AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution, replacing FidelityFX CAS.
    UI Changes

• Adjusted settings screen to facilitate the addition of DLSS and FSR.
      • Render Scale option has been removed but same result can now be accomplished by adjusting setting Upscale Method to Simple and adjusting Upscale Quality.
    Performance Improvements

• Improvement to the shader management system. This will result in a few noticeable differences:
      • There is no longer a shader pre-compilation step on startup. The game will always compile shaders during loading and in the background.

• Stutters during gameplay that used to occur due to background shader compilation have now been significantly reduced.

• Because shader compilation is still happening in the background you may notice the game having a higher CPU utilization while that is happening.

• Loading screens will wait for the required shaders to be fully compiled. This may cause loading screens to take somewhat longer on certain systems.

• On higher spec machines with faster CPUs the loading screens will typically be shorter, due to more efficient shader compilation that better leverages high-end CPUs.
    Please ensure your game is up-to-date before heading back out into the wilds, and reach out to us if you’re still experiencing any issues. We appreciate all of your wonderful support and feedback; we wish you a fun-filled festive period!

- Guerrilla

FatBoyNL, Horus-Anhur and SpajdrEX like this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Gotta give the devs that it's crazy well optimized this game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passus and XenthorX like this.
  10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'm surprised this game is still getting support.
    After running the benchmark with DLSS enabled, I got 100 fps average. :D
    And it looks great.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Surely you dont need to use dlss in a game with this little gpu load - you'd be better off running it native.

FYI my screenies are always taken with a 58 fps cap, but as you can see, i still get a locked 58 fps at 8k native with ultra settings - cant imagine you wouldnt get it at 1440p with a 2070 :)

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    In he benchmark, I go from an average of 80 fps with native, to 100 fps with DLSS quality. At 1440p.
    During gameplay there are several places where performance is lower. So DLSS really helps.

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fair enough :)

I just noticed something very wierd... Benchmark reports exactly half the fps of what im actually getting... just tried running it. Highest fps i saw was just above 300 - took this screenshot during the test where it's at 178 fps, which was just about the average throughout the run... but benchmark says the average was 89... wierd...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit : apparently it's rtss reporting double the actual fps for some reason... annoying...

Very wierd stuff... tried running the game with an rtss fps cap of 116, which should translate to 58 fps cap... average fps looks right, but cpu and gpu fps is WAY higher than before

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I love this game, think the update might be part of the marketing campaign to promote the upcoming follow up game.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It was not the case at the release. Game had some breaking bugs at the start and it didnt run this well. Good thing developers like their game and most issues have been fixed.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yeah, i remember. Hopefully CDPR will remain equally dedicated to smooth out cp2077 :)

Got the bug fixed though :

[​IMG]

This is more like it !

Undying, Passus and PhazDelta like this.
  17. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I think it looks better with DLSS enabled. The graphics of this game are pretty "noisy" without it in some places. Just compare the benchmark with DLSS on and off. There is so much shimmering with it off.

This @1440p though! I can image that 4k would make a big difference in the shimmering amount, so maybe for you it's a non-issue.

Deleted member 164252 likes this.
  18. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Which RTSS version and which game version (Steam or Epic Games Store) is that?

19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    The wrong version of the game to begin with ;)
    Sorry, couldn't resist :confused:

EDIT: j/k I mean the screenshots actually show different game versions. No signs of Steam or Epic though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    RTSS 7.3.2 and Steam, but as @FatBoyNL correctly says, steam hadn't updated the game for some reason, and i honestly didn't know what game version it was supposed to say, as it doesn't correspond to the update version... but got the update forced through, and now the bug is gone :)

FatBoyNL likes this.