3dfx reveals range of new products: From PCI cards up-to smart TVs.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    Like nature, the market abhors a vacuum. So if GPU's are going for over $2k that for sure will draw in some fresh competition given the supply issues. But one would think making anything with chips right now would be a rough deal to break in to.

Silva likes this.
  3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it's just a company that acquires an old, well-known trademark, it could be one of those cases of simply getting run-of-the-mill products from various factories and slapping their own brand on them. That's what has happened to an endless list of previously famous (domestically or internationally) European brands. In China/East Asia there's a number of video card manufacturers with little presence in the West, so I could see them, for example, getting cards from one of them and rebranding them.

Actually designing a brand new GPU is a monumental task. Even Apple hasn't considered it an ultimate top priority, all things considered, since they are still getting dedicated graphics cards from AMD, for the time being. 3dfx's patents are all about to expire (in the USA) since the company went under in 2002, which means there are no newer ones, so you could say anyone could do anything with them, but they wouldn't be of that much use in 2021, I reckon.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Didn't this turn out to be a joke or something?

SaberJ2X likes this.

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    using an image from a DA account

CEC instead of CES

voodoo6 PCI as the only actual accelerator... 10% of their initial output?

90% will be landfill-filling plastic ewaste people change every year basically...

as much as I want 3dfx logo on products... this will dissolve any good will the 3dfx logo had...

*wants a clunky 90s thinkpad looking brick with the old 3Dfx logo, and when opened it looks sleek and modern with an engraved modern 3dfx logo on the bottom of the OLED 3:2 in the bezel*
    doesn´t even need to be good for gaming, I would get it for nostalgia kicks... and to replace my aging but extremely capable maxed out T440p

anticupidon likes this.
  6. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    new old stock gpu dies on a modern PCI design, probably the same guy doing the black PCB recreation got paid good money for his ready to use designs... if I was a greedy company wanting to capitalize on the lack of GPUs and sell some retro hardware that would sell great...

7. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    From what I gather, they are buying cheap crap in from China (TV's etc) and whacking their logo on it.

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    LoL thet petty much everything you buy other then food and gas and water and maybe a few other things

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Voodoo 6 add on PCI card ? oO
    Hmmm some re-release or something for the retro crowd ? Even if they design a new chip ... And they mean pci express ... I do not think anyone will buy an add on card . Now about the monitors or whatever as far they are good for the price sure :p

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PCI ? Are they trying to get a second bankrupt?

[​IMG]

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Do not bother anymore.
    All of it was fake.

Silva likes this.
  12. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800XT
    Would have been nice if it was real and could have competed with Nvidia/AMD/Intel.
    I had a Voodoo card which made the game "Unreal" look amazing at the time compared to other video cards.

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Loved the old 3dfx. It's where it all began. Nice story, even nicer if it's true. I remember using Voodoo Rush and the first thing I saw was Quake 2. I was blown away. My family couldn't tell the difference haha!

14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    We can dream...

MerolaC likes this.
  15. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    someone needs to come out with a Voodoo 1-2 type accelerator that piggyback on to standard graphics cards again. Would make a great upgrade for laptops with no discrete graphics but they still have decent CPUs. Also I bet they could make it harder to mine on it so it would be affordable to normal humans.

16. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    toyo and Solfaur like this.
  17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The notion that someone could buy 3dfx "assets" (there are no 3dfx assets--nVidia buried them) *choke* on July 23 and in three months offer a competitive high-end GPU was hilarious...;) Not even Intel with all of its money could do anything close to that (as we've seen, and Intel's been working for a couple of years, now.) Always had to be a prank, of course.

18. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Things used to be normal not that long ago...
    The Bungholio bench is a nice touch.
    Beavis and Butthead stuff eh?
    Proper levels of shitposting

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting, cant wait to see what happen, curious about the "TV" seeing i am in market for new TV. I am at my witts end with the Roku TV work great till Roku pushes untest updates that just rebrake old bug and instructed new one. it like every 6-8 month new update come breaks things have been fixed multiple times, 2 month down road it fixed and then tv is fine for another 6-8 months just for then to start process again.

20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    If it had been real, Billy "Wicked" Wilson would have certainly covered it over at VoodooExtreme.;)